• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Creator Ken Akamatsu Wins Seat in Japan's House of Councillors

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:59 am Reply with quote
As long as they keep my animu away from political propaganda and pushing some sort of narrative, I will be good.
Alphonae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Madlad actually did it. Congratulations!
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:31 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to hear some good news for a change. I'm glad he was able to achieve his dreams.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
As long as they keep my anime away from political propaganda and pushing some sort of narrative, I will be good.
Do not worry, I'm sure they will.
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
As long as they keep my animu away from political propaganda and pushing some sort of narrative, I will be good.

Akamatsu's main platform has always been fighting back against the regulation of Japanese media from foreign groups like the UN even before he got into politics. He's criticized things like feminism, affirmative action, and other concepts that have threatened creative freedom in anime and manga I'm not sure how much power he'll actually have in the end but even if it's just a seat at the table during discussions of the topic it's still a huge step forward to protecting mangaka and the medium as a whole.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:

Every work of fiction ever written has a political viewpoint because that's how human beings work. If you haven't noticed that before then that means you only consider a story to be "pushing a narrative" when it says something you disagree with.

GasterTheGreat wrote:

He's criticized things like feminism, affirmative action, and other concepts that have threatened creative freedom in anime and manga

Yeah, nothing threatens creative freedom more than (checks notes) women getting equal pay and minorities getting jobs.

Anyway, Akamatsu's most recent manga just ended a couple of months ago, and with this new position we're quite possibly looking at the end of his career as a mangaka. Feels like the end of an era, as he's been consistently producing popular work since Love Hina hit it big all those years ago.
Gamen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

GasterTheGreat wrote:

He's criticized things like feminism, affirmative action, and other concepts that have threatened creative freedom in anime and manga

Yeah, nothing threatens creative freedom more than (checks notes) women getting equal pay and minorities getting jobs.

Yeah, it's a little more nuanced than that; it's not feminism he's criticized, but attacks on arguably sexualizing/objectifying depictions of women. And I assume the reference to affirmative action is a likewise oversimplified reference to his comments from two years ago detailed in Ken Akamatsu Comments on Casting POC Voice Actors in American Cartoons, Japanese Anime
Alphonae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Anyway, Akamatsu's most recent manga just ended a couple of months ago, and with this new position we're quite possibly looking at the end of his career as a mangaka. Feels like the end of an era, as he's been consistently producing popular work since Love Hina hit it big all those years ago.

You know equal wages wasn't what he meant when he said "feminism" and you know affirmative action is more than just "minorities getting jobs". As someone who's from a country that has implimented this policy since it's formation, trust me when I say it does these groups more harm than good.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
cchigu wrote:

Every work of fiction ever written has a political viewpoint because that's how human beings work. If you haven't noticed that before then that means you only consider a story to be "pushing a narrative" when it says something you disagree with.

GasterTheGreat wrote:

There's several types of Feminism, in case you were not aware.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I've always been a fan of Akamatsu and his work, including his positions against limiting artist freedoms. But the recent "criticism" of a UN group asking for an explanation from a JP newspaper that had signed on to conform to certain standards with them and Akamatsu treating it as a "Foreign Influence unjustly pushing it's agenda on a Japanese company" (Which I'll again state, had agreed to conform to certain standards AND was not being forced to do change anything only being asked about it) has raised some doubts in me.

I'm no expert on Japanese politics, but I know that the LDP has MANY wings and groups so I'll wait and see where on the spectrum Akamatsu falls. I sincerely hope it's not "Freedom of expression above everything else" in the libertarian sense that has led to some truly horrible cesspools of hate in English to come about online in the past decade.
Alphonae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
I've always been a fan of Akamatsu and his work, including his positions against limiting artist freedoms. But the recent "criticism" of a UN group asking for an explanation from a JP newspaper that had signed on to conform to certain standards with them and Akamatsu treating it as a "Foreign Influence unjustly pushing it's agenda on a Japanese company" (Which I'll again state, had agreed to conform to certain standards AND was not being forced to do change anything only being asked about it) has raised some doubts in me.

I'm no expert on Japanese politics, but I know that the LDP has MANY wings and groups so I'll wait and see where on the spectrum Akamatsu falls. I sincerely hope it's not "Freedom of expression above everything else" in the libertarian sense that has led to some truly horrible cesspools of hate in English to come about online in the past decade.

I think it has to do with the fact that the incident has given a lot of negative rep to Tawawa and this sort of stuff discourages artists, even though there's no legal implications. Just look at the reviews of vol 1 on Amazon Japan, you'd see what I'm talking about.
With that being said though, in this case it is the newspapers fault for signing up for something and going against it. But even then, stuff like this acts like a slippery slope and that's probably what Akamatsu is concerned about.

Ofcourse, bad rep is still free attention, and while the number of haters has gone up, that doesn't change a damn thing, because the fans are still gonna buy it and naturally, there's gotta be new fans too, so in a way this was beneficial to the series.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh fun, this guy. Most recent thing I remember was that awful propaganda comic centering himself and Taro Yamada as LDP RPG-style heroes who's enemies shout attack names like "affirmative action" or "supererogation."
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

That's not what he's fighting against though. He's fighting against foreigners demanding that manga be written in a certain way as to not offend others... usually other foreigner.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

That's not what he's fighting against though. He's fighting against foreigners demanding that manga be written in a certain way as to not offend others... usually other foreigner.

Yeah, what a *whoosh* comment*. This is about the protection of artists and writers in manga/anime. What some of the other comments mean about feminists is that: artists should not be stopped or told to change their work because people feel offended by it.
Which is a great thing! Artists should be able to tell and do whatever they want without worry. It's freedom of expression.

I wish Akamatsu all the best in supporting the creators. They're in good hands.
IchiroFox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy for him. I hope he can lead efforts to introduce protections for freedom of expression, safeguards for authors, publishers and advertisers against radical feminist censorship, and legislation that is good for the manga and anime industry. Good luck Akamatsu-san!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8