• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Orchestra Anime Premieres in Spring 2023

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Great anime year wait for us all! Amazing that producer of to Your Eternity will be in this series!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Is there any romance in this series?
Retrojuicepop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:06 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Is there any romance in this series?

Sadly there is... Sad
Retrojuicepop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, how could I forget the Minato/P3 Protag clone from a musical manga where he is deemed feeble than his similar counterpart and cannot fight shadows.

Not going to check this one out since I am already satisfied with a spectacular music anime with relatable and amiable characters, an ancient Chinese war tactician reincarnated in the modern world helping out the underdogs, addicting intro and outro, impressive visuals, overall great presentation, and best of all, NO ROMANCE BUT FRIENDSHIP. Wink

EDIT: Since Kyuushi will air on New Years January, I'm most likely going to abandon every anime including this one.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, uh, looks interesting to me. I guess I'll read the manga first since it's not that long so far.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:13 am Reply with quote
Please, manga writers, there's got to be some other metaphor for youth you can use in your titles that's not just "Blue + Noun"
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:13 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Please, manga writers, there's got to be some other metaphor for youth you can use in your titles that's not just "Blue + Noun"

Seeing this post made me curious, so I decided to check the Wikipedia category of manga series and I saw well-known series like Blue Lock, Blue Period, Blue Exorcist, and some more obscure titles like Blue Gender, Blue Inferior, Blue Sub 6. Blue is really common, comparable to how Tokyo is used in some series like Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo Revengers and Tokyo Ravens.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I mean, yeah, it's a cliché, but the kanji for "blue" does mean "youth" and "young" and it's right there in the word for "youth" (青春) and other related words and expressions, so there's that. I think it's not really a metaphor as much as a double meaning, in fact with these stories most of the time primary meaning is "youth" and not "blue", really. It's just that when it comes to English it's easier to translate it as "blue" since in English there's no such association between blue and youth, and "Young Orchestra" or "Orchestra of our youth" or whatever just doesn't sound interesting enough. Very Happy ("Green" would work, I suppose, except the color blue is usually featured prominently in the art, and "green" has slightly different allusions in English, anyway.)

That being said, it is a cliché, and while I see your complaint, I raise a better one: manga writers, there's got to be a way to write about people learning about themselves and finding their place in the world that is not about teenagers. Really, maybe I'm just old, maybe it's the fact that I can't relate to most of these stories whatsoever, but at this point I'm just so completely over all these stories about "Kids Living The Joys And Struggles Of The Springtime Of Life", especially since so many of them go through the exact same beats and notes. Give me more stories about adults searching for themselves and whatnot.

DamianSalazar wrote:
Seeing this post made me curious, so I decided to check the Wikipedia category of manga series and I saw well-known series like Blue Lock, Blue Period, Blue Exorcist, and some more obscure titles like Blue Gender, Blue Inferior, Blue Sub 6.

Not all of these blues mean the same thing, though. With stories about Young People Looking For Themselves "blue" refers to youth. With football stories like Blue Lock or Aoashi (same blue!) it primarily refers to the blue uniform of the Japanese national football team and the Japan Football Association. With Blue Sub 6 it most likely just refers to the ocean where most of the story takes place, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1