• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Announces Over 2 Dozen Titles at Anime NYC

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I’m happy they’re releasing a Toilet-bound Hanako-kun boxset! Glad I haven’t bought the single volumes yet. I assume vol. 0 would be in the first stall box set too?

Lots of the light novels sound interesting. I’m especially looking forward to Maiden of the Needle!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Shame on Yen for changing The Sorcerer's Receptionist's series title, as well as the spelling of the main character. I understand licensing adaptations of stuff from other companies are inevitable, but at least please keep things consistent.

Also lmao at that Index Old Testament omnibus. Anything to not continue translating the series.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Why is The Ephemeral Scenes of Setsuna's Journey using the cover for the light novel version(three volumes out as of March) if it's supposed to be the manga version(volume 1 released in September)?
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I know the Kadokawa deal isn't technically sealed yet but I feel like this article should have a disclosure appended to it,
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh, a new Danmachi book.

LMAO at the Index one. Is that just gonna be a telephone book? You could kill someone with that I bet.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The Higurashi Gou manga has not finished its run yet, but I can assure everyone that watched and hated the anime, myself included--the manga version is vastly superior, and I mean VASTLY. It's just better written, almost all missed opportunities from the anime are covered here, and Satoko's path to villainy is depicted in a considerably more understandable/empathetic light, in a way that's still heartbreaking but not in the same frustrating way as in the anime. As a fan of the original anime/manga, like most people I felt the anime turned out to be a waste (which is too bad since I thought it had good animation), but I decided to not give up on it just quite yet--especially since the manga version promises to lead to a conclusion that's different from the anime. Hopefully it'll be like the Oreimo ending--the manga's ending being far superior and more worthwhile, while being just as frustrating in its own way in making one wonder "Why in hell didn't the anime just do this?" spoiler[This much is just speculation on my part, but maybe, just maybe, the other protagonists besides Rika will remember everything and team up with Rika, something that was hinted at in the anime but never lead anywhere, and thus robbed Keiichi, Mion and Rena of any agency they had.] As for whether or not the manga's ending will justify a continuation of the Higurashi storyline when the original ended on such a near-perfect note, we'll still just have to wait and see.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
The quality of most of these light novel licenses is more what I'd expect of what J-Novel usually gets not YenPress.
catone2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Only title I'm interested in is the Index OT Omnibus. That means the Japanese side should finally be making moves in regards to the franchise sometime next year.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
with the J-Novel Yen Press partnership I think they will just be Kadokawa USA soon
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I know the Kadokawa deal isn't technically sealed yet but I feel like this article should have a disclosure appended to it,

You are correct. We just forgot to put the disclosure on there this time (we're still getting used to doing it). I've corrected that and added the disclosure to the article. Thanks very much for pointing it out.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Oo, I'm quite excited about the Scribbles collection. I didn't expect that to come out in the US. Also might get Yokohama Station.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Handyman Saito picked up with the anime on the way Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:12 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Shame on Yen for changing The Sorcerer's Receptionist's series title, as well as the spelling of the main character. I understand licensing adaptations of stuff from other companies are inevitable, but at least please keep things consistent.

What? Yen Press's title is an accurate translation of the Japanese title:

Quote:
Mahō Sekai no Uketsukejō ni Naritai Desu (Japanese)
魔法世界の受付嬢になりたいです (Japanese)

Mahou sekai = magical world, uketsukejou = "reception desk + young woman," "naritai desu" = "want to become." Nothing about a sorcerer anywhere in there.

So if anyone has "changed the title," it's J-Novel Club, not Yen Press.

As for the character name (Nanalie -> Nunally), I can't say which is definitively right. But it does remind me of when Code Geass was airing, and fansubbers spelled Lelouch's sister's name as "Nanali" at first, until information came out that Nunally was the official romanization. So maybe there's some weird affection among Japanese writers for the latter spelling, and that's what spurred the content owners to have YP use that rendering. Reminds me of my middle school history teacher's last name, but whatever...

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Ooooh, a new Danmachi book.

While it is newly in book form, the story that's being featured first appeared a couple of years ago in the mobile game and was replayed earlier this year. It's a decent story set at some point after Haruhime joins Hestia Familia (IOW, after S2 of the anime or novel 7 of the core novels), but it doesn't fit well into canon and would be far from my first choice for game-original stories to novelize.m Still, kinda curious to see what in it might be handled differently in novel form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VelvetPierrot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
The article has the wrong cover for Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun: First Stall; it's a duplicate of the cover of The Ephemeral Scenes of Setsuna's Journey. Please find the correct one and replace it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2