• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Game Awards' 10-Year Anniversary Concert Features Music From Elden Ring, Final Fantasy XVI

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:50 am Reply with quote
I wish they'd add Stray's soundtrack, and not Hogwarts Legacy's.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:51 am Reply with quote
What an absolutely ridiculous lineup.
Quote:
Arcane

This isn't even a game! It's related to League of Legends, sure, which is already on this list.
Quote:
Diablo, God Of War, The Last Of Us, Elden Ring

Obligatory shoe-in AAA choices -- not bad, but also not really representative of the best in the industry -- but sure, that's fine.
Quote:
Hades

Y'know what, Hades has earned it, this is valid, as much as this stands out as the token indie game that got popular enough that they couldn't just snub it.
Quote:
Hogwarts Legacy, Marvel's Spider-Man, Star Wars Jedi

Come on, video game spinoffs of non-video-game franchises?
Quote:
Starfield, Final Fantasy XVI

These games aren't even out yet!

Not a single Nintendo game on the list, and I'm sure everybody here can list a handful of Nintendo games off the top of their heads that have more impressive soundtracks than most of that list. And this selection is supposed to represent the last 10 years of music in video games? I know it's foolish to expect TGA to pick things that are actually representative of the industry, but this is bad even by their standards.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Ugh Xenoblade 3 soundtrack is snub again.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Diablo, God Of War, The Last Of Us, Elden Ring
Obligatory shoe-in AAA choices -- not bad, but also not really representative of the best in the industry

They’re popular ips how are they “not” representative of the industry’s best?

Especially when what’s best is purely subjective.

Vanadise wrote:
Not a single Nintendo game on the list, and I'm sure everybody here can list a handful of Nintendo games off the top of their heads that have more impressive soundtracks than most of that list. And this selection is supposed to represent the last 10 years of music in video games? I know it's foolish to expect TGA to pick things that are actually representative of the industry, but this is bad even by their standards.

We’ve all heard or listened to the soundtracks of most of the Mario, Metroid, Zelda, & Pokémon games not to mention that Nintendo every once and a while will sign off on live performances of the music from some of these games.

No one’s missing anything by these not being here.

Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
I wish they'd add Stray's soundtrack, and not Hogwarts Legacy's.

They could add both. I know people have their issues with Hogwart’s Legacy because of Rowling’s transphobia but the people who worked on the game shouldn’t be denigrated for her idiocy.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
funkfoot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

I think this list is very representative of the past 10 years of modern AAA mainstream American focused video games. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but ithis is certainly what I think of when I think of mainstream video game culture in the modern age. Bland, homogenous, heavily marketed.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:38 pm Reply with quote
The list is so-so. Could have been way better.

Vanadise wrote:

Quote:
Starfield, Final Fantasy XVI

These games aren't even out yet!

And that's the problem you and many people are having. Not comprehending that when this event happens, FF16 will have been out for a few days. Your objection was only justified for Starfield since that game won't be out when the event starts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1