• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:44 am Reply with quote

Reign of the Seven Spellblades (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 13 volumes, written by Bokuto Uno, illustrated by Ruria Miyuki)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: J.C. Staff

Genres: action, fantasy

Themes: school

Plot Summary: Springtime at Kimberly Magic Academy: when new students begin their first year. One boy, clad in black robes with a white cane and sword strapped to his hip, approaches the prestigious school. The young man, Oliver, must form a bond with a katana-wielding girl named Nanao if he's to survive the dangers he's to face at this school that is anything but what it seems.

Air Date & Platform:
July 7, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 15 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I was quite satisfied with the sequel seasons to Monogatari: Malevolent Spirits and Horimaya . And I'll be surprised if I don't enjoy The Great Cleric and Sweet Reincarnation all the way through. But all of the other anime I'm sticking with are strictly on a trial basis (to different degrees)..

This one, though - I suppose others might disagree, but just based on the first episode, I really feel like Seven Spellblades is a winning lotto ticket.

The character tropes weren't too tropey. The rich blonde with twin tails didn't have a huge bosom and a fake high pitched laugh, for example. The kind hearted commoner girl isn't obtuse and squishy and monotone. The protagonist might have sealed the area off, but he didn't scream like a scalded castrato when he found the samurai bathing in the fountain. Etc.

The animation was very good. The world building went beyond being Hogwarts lite. The 6 characters we met weren't petty (even the surly bookworm had reasons provided for putting up a front) but they weren't perfect either. I liked this one a lot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I liked this although not as much as Edjwald. Thanks to last seasons Mashle, I like my Harry Potteresque shows to have more humour. Plus I have another quibble: clearly that girl was shoved at a troll by means of magic, something that could have killed her... and nobody is curious as to who is behind it? With that lack of interest in potential lethal enemies, I don't see this group being in the 80% of students who survive, sheesh. I suspect I'll be watching to completion, but not 100% sold just yet.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1

Plus I have another quibble: clearly that girl was shoved at a troll by means of magic, something that could have killed her... and nobody is curious as to who is behind it?

That wasn't really a big deal to me. I'll grant you, having an intense conversation about how freaked out they were would have been more realistic, but the anime had six character introductions to make and little time to do it. Besides

[Jailhouse Lawyer mode engaged]

The ceremony was interrupted, but they were still in the middle of two different programs and didn't have the authority to start interrupting the proceedings by pulling people aside and interrogating them.

They also didn't see the psychopathic leer that we did, so assuming it was a prank that went bad isn't all that illogical. This seems to have been a random incident, and teens who randomly commit homicides for fun (setting homeless people on fire or dropping concrete blocks from an overpass onto passing car windshields, etc) make a lot of headlines, but they're still much rarer than dumbass teens who hurt people with pranks gone wrong (fire crackers, trip wires, property sabotage, etc) or stupid car stunts, or just not realizing how dangerous hitting people in their heads or throat is, etc.

They could vent about how worried they are, but all the characters have a surplus of bravado (and possibly a lack of common sense). The main thing uniting them is that they were the only ones in the crowd who stepped up when danger hit. It wasn't all just proximity.

The other thing to consider is Oliver. He seems a bit more savvy than the others, and he's obviously already keeping some secrets and used to playing his cards close to his chest. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't there to investigate something and is already keeping his eyes out - he just isn't saying anything about it openly. In fact, I'd be willing to bet on that.

The blood soaked samurai might be expected to be more focused on identifying and eliminating threats, but there's something weird going on with her innocence. I wouldn't be surprised if that white haired transformation that took place in the middle of the battle wasn't some kind of alternate personality. I mean, maybe not, but there are only six people and seven spell blades. Is it possible the white haired battle maiden is the 7th spell blade?

(Definitely not ending on a distraction to divert attention from the problem area)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:07 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... yes, I can accept the explanation that the dough-heads are assuming this is just a prank that went wrong. Sure, I can accept that they ZERO INTEREST in talking about why that chick (don't worry, I'll probably eventually learn their names) was selected for this "harmless" prank. ZERO INTERST, EDJWALD!!!

But you better PRAY there isn't a second example of reaction weirdness, Edjwald, because if there is... oh my lord, if there is...

Well, I'll just leave that thought hanging in the air...

Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the episode (this season is too stacked) and it was an interesting time. It has some similarities to Hogwarts, but it is clear that things are a fair bit more deadly. It also seems like some characters go a bit further than just bullying/being annoying and do not mind trying to murder one of their fellow students. Kudos to the interesting creatures and magical moments, the school feels like a fitting magical place to be (as long as you survive)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 made clear how magical and interesting the school is. It is also pretty deadly too though. Between duels, dangerous creatures and murderous people skulking about at night in a labyrinth, it is anything but safe.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I take it back - I wouldn't be surprised if Blondie Locks was also well aware that there was something hinky going on with that troll attack, and she's also keeping her mouth shut and her eyes open. She and Oliver seem to have a tacit understanding of what the academy is like and how dangerous it is.

I like Blondielock's character....I might even remember her name if I post on it again. She's taken on a benign big sister kind of a role to the group. I really hope it's real. And ummm.....not the kind of big sister role that a lot of anime would portray...

I'm liking the sinister school environment too, even if it is more like Battle Royale than Hogwarts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm definitely getting sold on this. Man, I hate to think what the school's ligation insurance premiums must be like...I'm a little confused on why Oliver was so cheesed at Nanao after their duel. Is he mad at himself for getting so worked up that he subconsciously cancelled the non-lethality spell on his blade. Is he weirded out by her for some reason?
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I am finding this one interesting, so far. A school where they measure success by survival rate instead of graduation rate. My guess as to why Oliver went ballistic after the fight has to do with what he said. He doesn't want to kill her and he doesn't want to die. Maybe he likes her too much to hurt her?
I think the teachers and the students all have something more than academics going on here. Why would Oliver have a spy reporting to him? Why would the upperclassmen who should be helping the underclassmen seem like they are actually hunting fellow students? Guess I'll have to stay tuned to find out.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:49 am Reply with quote
Gisan Otaku wrote:
I am finding this one interesting, so far. A school where they measure success by survival rate instead of graduation rate. My guess as to why Oliver went ballistic after the fight has to do with what he said. He doesn't want to kill her and he doesn't want to die. Maybe he likes her too much to hurt her?

I don't know if the white haired manifestation is a split personality or not (or literally a supernatural being in its own right or what). But I got the feeling that she/it wanted Oliver to kill her. Like that would be freedom. I also got a feeling that Oliver almost lost control of himself and did it, whether instinctively or because of some supernatural element. Time will tell.

Gisan Otaku wrote:
I think the teachers and the students all have something more than academics going on here. Why would Oliver have a spy reporting to him? Why would the upperclassmen who should be helping the underclassmen seem like they are actually hunting fellow students? Guess I'll have to stay tuned to find out.

I want to know, "Do people pay tuition to go to this place? And why do some students like Oliver and Blondie Locks seem to understand the nature of the school, but students like the farm girl and the bookworm don't? (I'm really going to pay attention to names next episode). Is it a class thing? Do the commoners not know they're going into a situation where most of them will be cannon fodder? When the kind seniors were reassuring them that things weren't as bad as the headmaster said, were they being truthful and kind, or were they trying to keep the new students ignorant and vulnerable?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:26 am Reply with quote
It may be that the average student does not experience many of the dangers of the school. It is known that about 20% of the students die, but if the remaining 80% did not have that bad of a time then I can understand many people going in with wrong expectations. I also think that being part of a magical family that has had several generations go to the school has way more information on how it truly is compared to families that do not. It is probably indeed due to connections/class. Due to the above those seniors may indeed have had a good time there so far.

As for why to go to the school, you either die or get your magical degree and be set up for life with a cushy job, many would risk that.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:11 am Reply with quote
So, for good or bad, the episode of the week was rather busy this time. Each of the sections was interesting, but the pace felt rushed without any time to let it breathe. We went from the resolution to the two crazies in the dungeon (yay for the not crazy seniors), to Nanao her backstory, to more sword practice and a follow up to the troll situation (and a bit of crucio being used).
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:56 am Reply with quote
Well, for those of us that have not read the source material, we now know what a "Spellblade" is. I have a feeling that at least one maybe two of the new freshmen actually have one of those blades. It looks like if Katie, Guy and Pete want to survive this school they should stick around Oliver, Michela (Chela) and Nanao. Having friends that are more powerful and that you can learn from is not a bad thing.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Still enjoying this show muchly as of episode 4.

Hmmmn. In the closing scene, we got a better look under the hood at that smiling psycho who tried to kill Katie in the first episode. She has the same color hair as the one who’s acting like her friend and may or may not be pretending to be a monster rights activist…Vera, right? But – and maybe it’s my imagination or the result of a team of different artists at work - her face seemed a little rounder than Vera’s?

Also, it looks like Nanao does not have an alternate personality. She spoke up as herself while in silver hair mode during the fight this week. So, that’s like theory 293 going in the discard pile. But you can’t hit one out of the park if you’re afraid to swing Razz.

I’m glad that Andrews got a chance to redeem himself (albeit slightly – in my opinion). I feel like Oliver was throwing Andrews a bone in order to avoid getting hemorrhoids from that constant pain in the @$$, and Nanao is just that innocent and big hearted when she’s not gleefully slicing enemy’s heads off.. Geez…so she really doesn't have an alternate personality? I guess she’s just a pure soul? Friend! Hug! Enemy! Disembowel!

Anyway, watching Andrews snivel and weasel and wet his pants and humiliate himself might have been kind of gratifying, but it’s also good to acknowledge that sometimes restraint and compassion are the way to go as long as it doesn’t lead to be being a doormat.

It's about time for Pete and Guy and Katie to start developing their survival strategies.
Having Michela get sidelined specifically to protect them is going to be a problem as events in this series continue to escalate, which they presumably will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3