• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Liar Liar (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Liar Liar (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 15 volumes, written by Haruki Kuō, illustrated by konomi)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Geek Toys

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: ecchi, game, school, strategy

Plot Summary: A mind game of lies and deceit begins. At Academy Island, students battle in Games to win stars, hoping to earn the prestigious title “Seven Star.” Sarasa is last year’s champion and is on track to win again until Hiroto, a new transfer student, hits the scene. Surprisingly, Hiroto defeats her by sheer luck. Now, he must use bluffs and trickery to stay on top.

Air Date & Platform:
July 8, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought this show was pretty fun, but I do wish they’d given more thought and gone into more detail on the games. Maybe I got spoiled by shows like Kakeguri and Classroom of the Elite, but I found myself a little underwhelmed by the competitions. I also found myself thinking Dude, the director just told you that she’s a championship liar and manipulator. Don't agree to anything, you idiot. But I'm liking this 2 episode on the first day thing, and I'll watch it again..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 1 & 2

I confess I had low expectations for this one. In fact, I went into the first episode with the mindset of, "okay, I'll spend a couple of minutes confirming this sucks and then strike it off the list and get on with my Very Busy, Very Important Life."

Surprise. I dug it. I actually like the conceit of a guy who isn't an arrogant jerk being forced to act like one and being super embarrassed about it. Like him, I find his maid both cute looking and with a cute voice. Unlike Super Fussy and Hard to Please Edjwald, I actually don't care about the games. Sure, if they happen to come up with some clever ones, fine, but it's not where my interest lies.

One thing I didn't like was being given two episodes at once even though I like the show. Hear me out. When a new season starts, I sample virtually everything, even when I'm dubious about a show like I was with this one. Y'all know how many shows get released each season so it's a busy time for me. Ergo, I wanna get in and out, fast. The way my mind works is if there's two episodes then I HAVE to watch both instead of going on to the next new show. Grrrr, grrrr. And of course, I'll never get a double episode when *I* would want one: say in the middle of the season when there's been a big cliffhanger and I eagerly want to see the next episode... nah, I would never get it then, would I???

Life is so unfair. Yeah, not digging this recent trend of having an extended first episode or dropping two at once.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Welp, if people (y'know, the royal people, no specific individuals in mind Wink ) don't really care about the games, that's probably a good thing. There's a stadium full of people who are apparently watching the game, but the high tech game in this science fiction world doesn't have any kind of monitors, so the thousands of people in the audience are all just sitting around for half a day waiting for the players to come back?
Geez, I hope the ticket prices aren't high....

And the players can work with all kinds of other people in secret in violation of the rules, and nobody can tell?

And then when they do get back to the stadium, it's the kind of game where some players can change the rules in the last 3 seconds, or alter the instructions so that it looks like the rules are changing? Wait! I have rulebreaker! It's the person with the lowest points who wins! AH hah haha!

Urhrrm. Okay, end of mild rant. If the show isn't going to be about the games - a premise I will grudgingly try to entertain - it's going to have to keep the character interaction coming IMHO. I like the characters, fine, and I'm great with the possibility that the protagonist spoiler[ might really be an advanced player like the show hinted at the end, a player who's running some kind of other lie or scam while pretending to be caught in the director's web Let's hope there are all sorts of future twists and turns like that given the title, including the developing story of the empress and the maid, etc. ].

Today was fine in that regard, but the show should be careful not to waste too much time in future episodes having the characters rushing back and forth doing plot service to a game if the game is kind of boring.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:35 pm Reply with quote
And I am up to date with another series. I have mixed feelings on this one so far. I like the bluffing that the mc does and the banter that is had between the characters is pretty fun. On the other hand, I could care less about the games that they play, especially now that cheating is a large part of it. The win in episode 3 felt very contrived and anything but satisfying. The whole thing also feels a bit rushed. At this point I am mainly staying for the bluffing, character nonsense and seeing what becomes of the main story.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:18 am Reply with quote
The fact people have stopped talking about this one is a sign how much it dropped off.

This just feels like a weird riff on Classroom of the Elite and if you are having to take aspects from that terrible show to make your own, maybe just...don't.

I don't care about the world, the characters, the games, and it's way more boring than what you think it would be.

It's not creative or strategic when you know they are just gonna hack, cheat, and bullshit their way to the top. It's not fun to watch. It also just feels sooooo otaku bait. LIke, it has elements that were made to sell statues and pillow cases than actual creative implementation and world building.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote
Yup, it also does not help that almost all of the games feel like convoluted bullshit with rules that are overly complicated just to make things seem more interesting. The whole star and ability system is also horribly unbalanced. Unless you cheat/bullshit your opponent you always lose due to their far better abilities. That said, I would place classroom of the elite a fair bit above Liar Liar.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
So, another few episodes have gone by and the show has kind of evolved/devolved into who can cheat harder the show. They spent a lot of time explaining the rules for each game and they do matter, until they do not anymore and the one with the most hacks wins.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:48 am Reply with quote
And another show to have reached its end. You know, remember those games you played as kids in which you made up rules/a game and broke them a second later with bullshit exceptions and sudden developments? This anime kind of is that game. The rules matter until you decide to break them with your bullshit and in the end the show is more about who can cheat harder. Add to that a story that was forgotten after the first episode and mostly boring characters and the show ends up being okay, nothing more than okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1