• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
mgree0032's Thread for EveryDub Everywhere All at Once.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:28 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the old claim that I have seen many times over about Mewtwo strikes back. The claim states that most people said that the Mewtwo Strikes Back movie wasn’t as bad as people said was back then in 1999, it was the dub that made it awful back then. And ever since the dub of the first movie came out, people hate that 4kids changed Shudo’s vision of what the franchise supposed to be.

The most notorious examples of why people hate the dub are the changes to Mew and Mewtwo’s characters and the ever so hypocritical “fighting is wrong” message. I think the dub of the first movie get too much hate. Now looking back at it, was the English dub of the movie really that horrible, or were there still good things about it?

[EDIT: Made this your new master thread for all things concerning English dubs. -TK]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:22 am Reply with quote
mgree0032, your older threads have been locked and chronologically archived below, I initially thought about merging them all together, but that would screw up the post order. The threads that had no replies have been moved to Trash to reduce clutter. But past this point, please put all your dub talk into this thread. Thank you.

- Seinen vs. Shounen/Shoujo Dubs.
- Cardcaptors Dub: Better than People Thought?
- 4Kids: was the hate justified?
- Uncensored Cowboy Bebop.
- Dub Music.
- Did heavily edited dubs help the industry?
- Re-dubs of old bad ones?
- Magic Knight Rayearth and its many English dubs.
- When did dubs start improving?
- Union vs. Non-Union dubs.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:48 pm Reply with quote
When you compare shows like Justice League Unlimited or Adventure Time, Teen Titans, Avatar: The Last Airbender to English dub anime, it’s almost night and day. Why is it so different if it’s the same job? You can tell in anime they just sound so try hard and it sometimes comes off as super cringe whereas American shows it’s more natural and fitting.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:06 am Reply with quote
For dub fans, have any of you watch undead girl murder farce ? I heard a good thing about the anime especially from ANN episodic review. Its kinda disappointing that CR not dubbing this anime, even landon mcdonald bummed on twitter that this anime never get dubbed. So, the title say it all, share your idea and thoughts on who is your ideal dub cast for this anime.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Do you feel that an anime dub performance can have an effect on how people see a character? Could they actually influence an anime's narrative? For example, in the original Japanese version of Digimon, Mimi Tachikawa was an open-minded sweet girl, but in the Saban dub, she becomes a girly-girl and acts a spoiled rich brat. That made fans of the original version hate her in the dub. So does a dub performance actually change on how a person defines a character?
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I want to figure out of why don’t some companies dubbed the anime first, then edit for tv. It would have save them from backlash because the uncut dub and subs were produced on DVDs. Outlaw Star did it once and it succeeded in doing that for Toonami and Adult Swim back then.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:05 am Reply with quote
I think that Toonami should have its own channel back in the early 2000s instead of where it is right now with Adult Swim. The reason why, we missed out a lot of the old 90s and 2000s anime that were never shown in America.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:40 am Reply with quote
The past is gone and done with. While it is reasonable to appreciate the past it is utterly pointless to suggest changes.

Do you even watch any anime from the last twenty years?
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Since the 90s and 2000s, dubs used to have dubbed the openings/endings and inserts songs or they create a new song for audiences back then. Now, there are no more dubbed songs in anime now except for Sailor Moon Viz dub, glitter force, and pokemon and yugioh. I want to find out why did they stop doing this because, man, the Pokemon OP is so iconic and, who knows, we could've gotten something like that again or something close to it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:14 pm Reply with quote
A TL:DR is that companies would have to pay for the licensing of the music which they may see as not worth the cost. Some of these Answerman articles (1 2) give insight into how the industry works. Additionally, many of the current day Western voice actors/actresses don't have a background in music (singing/producing). Japan tends to have their talents do more than just voicing works.

Also in your examples, specifically Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, you'll notice that they made their own original opening instead of adapting the Japanese lyrics or using the music. And if you watch ongoings, you'll find that most openings/closings are no longer translated in official releases.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:46 pm Reply with quote
In the case of Toei Animation, their US branch-produced English dubs have been very inconsistent with this in recent years.

For World Trigger, season 1 did get it songs dubbed but for it's sequels, season 2's was kept in Japanese while for season 3, it's Ending song used that band's Engrish version (similar to Expelled from Paradise and almost all Dragon Ball stuff since Kai: The Final Chapters).

For Digimon Adventure 2020, that show had ten songs and only three of them were dubbed and the ending songs that weren't dubbed are missing from the streams of those episodes along with their videos.

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai 2020 did have it's songs dubbed and like most of Digimon, they turned out fine.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I just realized that most of anime dubs that most fans hate are dubs that are made for children’s anime like Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors (Cardcaptor Sakura), and Dragon Ball Z. Children’s anime dub have always gotten a bad rep in the community a lot because most of them were actually good for the most part. I want to figure out why anime for children’s dubs are so unappreciated by most of the anime fandom?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:25 am Reply with quote
That is easy.

Short answer: they were the most heavily butchered anime to be licensed for English release.

Longer answer: As you note, these shows were specifically licensed to be shown to children. They would be shown in children's time slots and advertised for children. The companies that localized them, rightfully or not, felt that they needed to remove or change any language, sexual references or other material that would not pass muster for even the most conservative parents. Some also thought they needed to change any reference that were Japanese specific or not "American" enough. Hell, in the case of Cardcaptors they even tried to change a girls show into a boys show. How much of this was actually necessary is an open question. Given the people now trying to ban books in school libraries some changes may have been required.

Regard less of how necessary, do you really think any changes would pass muster with the Japanese experience purists?? Bottom line, it doesn't matter how good it sounded, if it isn't as close to the original as possible it will not pass muster in the anime community as a whole.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1