• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Union vs. non-union English dubs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
What are the differences between an English dub that is Union and an English dub that is non-union? And then, name some examples of dubs that are Union and dubs that are non-union.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:08 am Reply with quote
Payscale. Occasionally might be able to bring in folks who aren't anime voice actors. Beyond that, everything is pretty much the same
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Nothing, at least nothing you will hear. The quality of the dubs depends on abilities of the voice actors and the director of the dub. Unions would have you believe that their workers are more professional and better than non union workers but it doesn't actually work that way.

As getchman said, Union workers have to abide by union regulations as to how little they can work for. There are also some additional regulations which have an effect on when and under what conditions they work but that doesn't change what you hear.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I proposed a theory that people would only watch an English dub, if the dub was a Union one. If this theory is correct, then that would explain why the Digimon, Eureka Seven, Wolf’s Rain, and Code Geass dubs are well received by audiences alike. So, do Union dubs have a better reception than non-union dubs?
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
But then with a non union dub, cartoon voice actors can go in under an aliase.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Very, Very unlikely. I doubt the presence or absence of a Union Dub has anything to do with streaming numbers or sales of home video.

A large percentage of anime fans listen to subtitled anime and wouldn't care about the source of the dub. Of those who do listen to dubs, I suspect most simply don't care and likely don't even know which are union and which are not. Both Crunchyroll and Sentai are located in Texas and are non-union. I have yet to hear that either company has any difficulty getting people to listen to their dubs. This covers the majority of anime licensed each season. Regardless of one's preferences each show is licensed by only one company. If you want to watch the show dubbed, you have to listen to the dub provided. Of course, you can refuse to listen to any non-union dub but that hurts no one but yourself.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I don’t have a problem with non-union dubs. I think that non-union dubs are fine to me. It that there are so many Union dubs that are made in California and Canada, that Texas and New York non-union dubs get shunned to the side and fans and critics saying, “Yep any dub that is a Texas or New York dub will automatically suck.”
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I was under the impression that the majority of dubs were being done by Crunchyroll and Sentai. Could you tell me what dubs are being done in California and Canada currently? ANN has a weekly list of the most popular current shows if you need a checklist.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:46 pm Reply with quote
there are several currently active and netflix just dropped a few in the last couple weeks, but for the most part CR does work on the most. I suppose you could count Sentai as well, but they usually only have 3 active dubs
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:39 am Reply with quote
Merged the two threads on the same topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:28 am Reply with quote
My point is that it is a gamble as to what company licenses a show. With Crunchyroll licensing as many as they do, it would be rather limiting to only watch Union dubs. Hell of a way to choose what to watch.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:15 am Reply with quote
that is correct
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1