• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater Game Previewed in New Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
Listening to the audio, it seems to confirm what Konami said about retaining the recordings for the original for this game. I'm kind of mixed on that. On the one hand, it avoids any potential alterations to the script and performances, but on the other hand, it's a pretty easy way for Konami to save money. I met the actor who played Ocelot, and he said that he hoped that they would get to come back for this, and I didn't have it in me to tell him that it sounded like Konami was just going to reuse the old recordings.

I suppose this leads into the question around residuals for voice acting in games. A lot of MGS3 is being remade, and Konami even saw fit to distinguish it with a different title, and will obviously be selling it as a new game. But the actors probably won't see anything since their part isn't "new."
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It looks amazing!
Greed1914 wrote:
Listening to the audio, it seems to confirm what Konami said about retaining the recordings for the original for this game. I'm kind of mixed on that. On the one hand, it avoids any potential alterations to the script and performances, but on the other hand, it's a pretty easy way for Konami to save money. I met the actor who played Ocelot, and he said that he hoped that they would get to come back for this, and I didn't have it in me to tell him that it sounded like Konami was just going to reuse the old recordings.

I suppose this leads into the question around residuals for voice acting in games. A lot of MGS3 is being remade, and Konami even saw fit to distinguish it with a different title, and will obviously be selling it as a new game. But the actors probably won't see anything since their part isn't "new."

I guess that's the one drawback about reusing audio and not re-recording anything if it means the VA's don't see a cent from the remake, which sucks.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

The more likely scenario is they'd have just recast everyone like 99% of other remakes do. Re-using the original voice lines already puts it above most other remakes like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, or Persona.

Although there's still a possibility of altering stuff by simply omitting the line. It's not as if Volgin has a line that has him explicitly say he's grabbing Snake's balls. We'll have to wait and see.
Bertram

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
Using original voice lines, 1:1 remake of cutscenes exactly as they were in the original so far, keeping the same camera and controls as an option... Konami has the chance to do the funniest thing and be the company to do a modern remake right despite being painted as the Worst. Company. Ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1