• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Origin ~Spirits of the Past~ DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
when I first heard about this I was only interested by Ogata's character designs Surprised
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, this review pretty much mirrors my own views on the film which you can of course view on my "My Anime" page. It is a visually impressive film, that's for certain. As the reviewer stated though the story is incredibly lacking and a number of the characters just ... disappear. Had they made it longer it could have worked but it just felt like they made a story, realized it wouldn't fit in 90 minutes and rather than give it more time they just took out the meat and left the skeleton for all to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Citan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Hit the nail on the head there. I picked up this one after viewing an AMV that was made with this feature. The visuals made me run out and pick it up. Visually fantastic, but alot of potential lost in the story. Nice review.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
My take on this film was that it was like watching a Ghibli movie if Ghibli movies sucked.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
My take on this film was that it was like watching a Ghibli movie if Ghibli movies sucked.

Oh? I thought that was Howl's. Of course I suppose there'd be no "if" with Howl's. Of course, I still liked this movie to a minor extent much in the same way I still liked Howl's. They were both decent films that were brought down by poor pacing and story execution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Citan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
As I stated before in a post about origins in the Shelf Life thread, I couldnt shake
the feeling of Nausica.

The whole "Man vs Nature" to "Man attempts to make peace with nature" part of Origins wasn't what brought the movie down for me. It was the characters that were the worst part. If Origins put more thought and depth into the characters it could of saved it from being mediocre and possibly pushed it up to a pretty decent flick.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
Citan wrote:
As I stated before in a post about origins in the Shelf Life thread, I couldnt shake the feeling of Nausica.

I was thinking the same thing when I viewed it...
I was wishing Nausicaa looked that good.
This is one I would tell people to see who were into animation just for the quality of the animation.
Just teh opening sequences are so beautiful....
pretty with not to much pulp.
Danno19

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the movie, but the middle through the end is kind of rushed. 15 more minutes probably would of made it awesome.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
when I first heard about this I was only interested by Ogata's character designs :o

Ha. You and me both.

Of course, Taku Iwasaki is another plus, in my book.

Also, it's interesting that the reviewer name-drops Steamboy and then mentions Origin as having "no soul". I just found it amusing because Steamboy was pretty lacking in the soul department, from what I remember.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Also, it's interesting that the reviewer name-drops Steamboy and then mentions Origin as having "no soul". I just found it amusing because Steamboy was pretty lacking in the soul department, from what I remember.

That fact was not lost on me, either. Just couldn't find a good way to work that note into the review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This movie was a big disappointment. The plot felt so derived and lacks the rich characters of a Miyazaki movie, or the length and complexity of Blue Gender. There are so many visuals that felt directly lifted off of Lord of the Rings. That creepy forest child continuing a conversation while bouncing to the left and right was a tad Smeagol/Gollumish. The mountain climax scene with the flaming rocks popping out the top was almost visually identical to Mount Doom. The thin land bridge inside the volcano that extends out of a wall looked familiar, The idea of spoiler[a white flower inspiring a renewal] during the ending credits also felt lifted off of Lord of the Rings. The becoming treelike might be stretching it, so I will stop here even though I could probably go on for a long time with parallels.

The characters were really underdeveloped. Agito's friends completely fall out of the story and we really don't care which girl will hook up with the main character since neither of them have any character. I thought Toola's lack of character was intentional spoiler[and was hoping that she would turn up evil like that girl in the Little Norse Prince] but alas she is just a lackluster character. This is all quite sad since I tend to really love Gonzo titles.
Danno19

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
One word that will solve future Gonzo feature films...

Direction.
Tats27

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I've just joined this site in hopes of finding the Soundtrack for this Anime. I liked it very muchm and though it was a bit short I think it covered all the bases pretty well.

Anywho, anyone know where I can pick up the OST ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1