• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ga Ga Ga Gals

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
I can vouch that the 3rd volume of Fate/stay night will indeed get intense along with the next volumes. The main introductions made in the first couple episodes are pretty much done! Cool

Now whether the viewers accept the turn of events or not is another story.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
I've never heard of Tokko before, but now you've got me intrigued on it. Lots of blood, I like that.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Comments, in handy bullet format!

- That toothbrush is a horrible idea. If the music gets louder the harder you brush, is it their goal to give the children of the world receded gums and make them more susceptible to cavities? That's diabolical!

- Even as an X-Men fan, I can't get fired up over the old X-Men cartoon theme. On a musical level, it's just so awful. Give me the theme to the 1960s Spider-Man 'toon any day!

- The awkwardly-titled Fake/Stay Night looks pretty neat but this review doesn't give those of us who haven't seen the first volume any idea what the series is about. Sad

- When TRSI had their monstrous Manga Ent. sale a few months back, I almost ordered Tokko because it sounded intriguing, but with no reviews here at ANN and few viewer ratings I decided to pass on it. Having read this review, I'm totally kicking myself.

- GaoGaiGar sounds spectacular, as I LOVE old skool mecha throwback shows. Reading your comments about that theme had the ultimate mecha-show theme running through my head: "Gigaaaaantooooor! Gigaaaantoooor! Gigaaaaa---aaa----antooooor! He's bigger than big! Taller than tall! Quicker than quick! Stronger than strong! Ready to fight for right....against wrong!" CLASSIC. Twisted Evil It also had me thinking about Dai-Guard, which I had never heard of but caught a trailer for on my Gasaraki DVD the other day. For anyone who's seen the two, how do they compare?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I think Ginger would be thinking "My owner spends all that money in anime when she could be spending 'em on a nice something for me! Not fair!" Anime hyper

Sorry, couldn't resist. Great reviews, and death to music-playing toothbrushes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
rabble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As this scene draws to a close, the lead character wakes up, greeted by the sight of his half-naked sister who's leaning over him in lacy underwear.

OK, I've always wanted to ask this question. Which half?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

- The awkwardly-titled Fake/Stay Night looks pretty neat but this review doesn't give those of us who haven't seen the first volume any idea what the series is about. Sad

Yeah, you're right. With the old green links, you could just click on the title and it would show you all the past reviews for a series, both full reviews and Shelf Life reviews, so it made it less necessary to contextualize. However, until they're operational again, I should be more aware of that. Thanks for comment! (Until then, you can check out the first SL review here or the full review here.)

rabble wrote:

OK, I've always wanted to ask this question. Which half?

;p The safe-for-work half. Really, it's more like patches of non-underwear nudity, so it may be more like 80%.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Two things.

One: I ADORE the orignal X-Men theme song. Dang that brings back memories.

Two: Tokko looks totaly awsome. Never heard of it before. Ill have to check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It's probably been said before, but GaoGaiGar will stop being an endless wave of monster-of-the-week episodes at some point. Doesn't make it any less campy (or less aimed squarely at people who already love the genre), but the heights it hits once it finally shakes out of that rut are impressive.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Nice review. So does this mean I can get Super Gals 2 in a pyshical store instead of online? And Tokko looks good.

I enjoyed the X-men flashback ^^.

The dog looks really sad. Someone needs to give it a hug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I ended up doing Gaogaigar 3 and 4 at the same time as well and had pretty much the same experience as you overall. Definitely glad to see you like Tokko though; that one came out of nowhere really and even with its weaknesses it was just a lot of fun and unpredictable.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Yeah, you're right. With the old green links, you could just click on the title and it would show you all the past reviews for a series, both full reviews and Shelf Life reviews, so it made it less necessary to contextualize. However, until they're operational again, I should be more aware of that. Thanks for comment! (Until then, you can check out the first SL review here or the full review here.)

Hey, no problem, just thought I'd point it out since I finished reading it and thought "Well, that sounds good, but what IS it?"...heh. And thanks for the links, too....when you go to the encyclopedia entry it doesn't have any review links at all.
scrapps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
It's probably been said before, but GaoGaiGar will stop being an endless wave of monster-of-the-week episodes at some point. Doesn't make it any less campy (or less aimed squarely at people who already love the genre), but the heights it hits once it finally shakes out of that rut are impressive.

Which should actually be in the the next volume or so.

I still can't find vol 3 or 4 anywhere though. Sad
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
My copy of GaoGaiGar 2 is still sitting on the shelf. It took me about half a year and three attempts to finish the first DVD. There is something about it that seems too lighthearted for my tastes. I suppose I'm more of a fan of the more operatic and darker super robot series like Giant Robo, or Gad Guard. People say that the second half of the series is better than the first, but at this rate I'm not sure if I will make it that far.

I didn't care for Tokko when I watched it, although I can't really recall any specifics that bothered me. The opening credits song is one of those overly catchy songs that you can't seem to get out of your head. My biggest complaint about the release is the lack of chapter tracks especially since I would like to skip the annoying OP song. Manga does pack this DVD, and I will collect (I already pre-ordered volume two back in August) the rest of this short series at five episodes for $25 MSRP.

Fate/Stay volume two was really fun. It is far more apparent how this series is based of an erogame in this volume (more so than Utawarerumonow which feels more like a RTS) especially with the number of young girls moving into the house. Although the first DVD of Fate reminded me of the first volume of Shana (and Bleach too) they quickly go their separate ways as early as their second DVDs. Saber is still my favorite out of the three "supernatural girls who help goofy high school boy" although the Shana comes as a close second.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
GaoGaiGar is one of the best anime I've ever seen. The thing is, you're kind of forced to sit through a fairly mediocre (but still fun and cool) first half of the series. But I guarantee you that the second half of the series (from about episode 27 on) is some of the best stuff you'll ever see, complete with a perfect ending.

Also, the follow-up OVA, GaoGaiGar FINAL takes all the badassery of GGG and multiplies it by a million.

So if you've liked GGG so far, trust me and keep watching it.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
- Even as an X-Men fan, I can't get fired up over the old X-Men cartoon theme. On a musical level, it's just so awful. Give me the theme to the 1960s Spider-Man 'toon any day!

"Spider-Man, Spider-Man; does whatever a spider can; spins a web, any size; catches thieves, just like flies." Laughing

I think I'll stick with the old X-Men theme. Brings back memories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3