• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[SEMI-OT] Captain America is officially dead

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I know that this is a bit off topic but since one of the characters from fist of the north star had a story about his funeral a while ago, I figured that a long time marvel super hero deserves some respect. I'm sad to announce that Captain America is now officially dead. I'm kind of saddened by this and that marvel actually decided to pull this off. What are every one elses thoughts on this?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
meh he'll come back from the dead. He's a superhero for god's sake they never stay dead for more than a year or so just like the soap operas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
As if the fact that Cap's own title is still being released even without him in it isn't evidence enough that he's coming back, how about the fact that he died 11 other times before this one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I read that issue, in fact they say that burial at Arlington was for the public and Cap isn't really buried there. Marvel still being very vague about his death. So I don't think he'll be dead for long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I hate it when Marvel bring back dead characters. For example, Eddie Brock's death got the whole comic book community buzzing and the latest news I heard was that he's coming back? Captain America is a popular property for Marvel so you won't likely see him dead for a long time.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
This is a little old. And it's kind of hard to sympathize with a character when his death was part of a marketing scheme to temporarily spike the sales of a single book regardless of how stupid it ends up being while totally ignoring the long-term problems the market faces. And like jgreen said, they will bring him back. I honestly don't know how fanboys can keep getting worked up over this stuff when its the same crap they've been fed for years. When they're done right (All Star Superman, The New Frontier, Planetary) I absolutely love superhero books, but Marvel and DC make it pretty damn hard to defend the genre.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Piffle sniffle.

He isn't dead. Superman didn't die either.

Besides, there's gonna be a movie about him. You don't kill off a character when there's going to be a movie and more money to be made!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458339/
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Yup. Avengers, Ultimate Avengers, Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2, and the list goes on and on. A character as big as Captain America won't stay dead for long.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Agent

U.S Agent? Quite possibly the worst name of all time for a comic book character (let alone superhero).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1