• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paranoid CB fans

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious: how did all these Cowboy Bebop movie rumors originate? I.e., the replacing of the music, the post 9-11 editing, and so forth? Tristar has said next to nothing about their release of the film thus far, until now at least. Is there a legitimate source for these rumors, or are these just speculations from rabid anime dorks WHO THINK A BIG MEAN COMPANY LIKE SONY WILL RUIN ANIME FOREVER FARRARABHHM!

Hopefully the subtitled print will dispel these rumors for good. The Egyptian theater is a pretty classy joint, too; I'd say prospects for the CB movie are lookin' mighty fine. (I'd complain about the title change, but it was probably done to avoid any legal battle from Bob Dylan. Although they probably could've done better than "COWBOY BEBOP: TEH MOVEI", but.. oh well.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'll have to take a wait and see approach. But editing and "Americanization" of major Anime movies have been done in the past. Look at Street Fighter. Manga also has a bad habit of doing this with their animes by changing the intros/endings and music. They should just leave it as close to original as possible.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:51 am Reply with quote
The only thing Sony screwed up on with Metropolis was the still after the credits. But since the point was already made before the credits, it doesn't really matter.

Edit: I don't think Sony would have any post 9/11 edits, seeing as they put back the World Trade Center in Spiderman. (OTOH, they did change the ending of Men In Black II in which the towers get destroyed. :( )
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Edit: I don't think Sony would have any post 9/11 edits, seeing as they put back the World Trade Center in Spiderman. (OTOH, they did change the ending of Men In Black II in which the towers get destroyed. :( )

I heard that the WTC content in the original script was that the alien craft (I don't know whether they're the friendly aliens or not) were stored in the 3 sections (the dark bands) on each of the twin towers where all of the ventilation units and such were. I don't know where you heard that they were destroyed (in the movie I mean); in a feel-good summer movie I have my doubts that they'd completely demolish the WTC, killing upwards of 50 000 people (yes, I know less than 3000 people died in the towers in real life, but, had the towers been hit a little later in the day, at lower points on both towers, the death toll would have been in 5 digits). Okay, scores of people died in Independence Day, but the first Men In Black film wasn't the sort of summer film people went to see just to see things "blow up real good".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:52 am Reply with quote
Actually, come to think of it, I heard a rumour that in Canada, they were going to change the title slightly too, but, instead of plain old Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, we were going to see Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Buck-a-Day's Door.

(no laughs)

Hold for editing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:03 am Reply with quote
If it were a standalone movie I wouldn't know for sure what they'd do with it, but sinse the series already has a relativly large fanbase I don't think they would go out of the way to butcher the film. Rather I'd think they'd cater to the existing fanbase.

I actually think that sony will do a better job with it then Bandai would have. They've got the old cast(Wendee Lee pretty much saying they've got the job without actually saying it) and I think they can put together a better english script then Bandai could. While it was hardly bad, the english dub script for the series wasn't exactly the greatest.
Hagakure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I can see your point on how many fans are overly paranoid about Americanzation in anime, but can you honestly assume that they have no basis?

Wheather there is past precedence or not, political correctness and censoring are major issues. We have many incidents as well, such as Columbine and 9/11 that facilitate the blind rush to a nation defined by what politics and the collective determine is right. We've seen this happen on CN, and as much as we like to blame CN for the edits, deep down we know that they are just dealing with so many people who find certain material offensive. (I personally always believe that such people should just change the channel, but hey, who am I Smile )
That is pretty much that for content cuts, although those are EXTREAMLY unlikely.

Americanzation is another issue. There is a slight worry that certain cultural references may be removed,but this is at best improbable.

The music being changed is a common rumor, but is probably not true as no one wants to pay to make another soundtrack and Ms. Kanno's work is absolutly STUNNING.

I think to answer you LB, most people see it best to just expect the worst from companies like C/TS because the other features and products they release do not appeal to most anime fans, and thus we see a lack of expierience in handling anime. Since anime fandom is at the very least a community, people within it have a general mistrust of conglomeration and selling-out that is usually just paranoia. Most anime fans loathe the idea that the same company that just released movie X (X= any kind of lame teenage movie that is sappy and cheesy) is also "stealing" their favorite anime movie. There is the whole issue of because the company needs to make money, it may alter it to suit others who are not fans of the series, and thus offend the fans. Marketing is a major issue.

Many are angered by the prospect of this kind of editing, and how it will affect the production. I ask you not to chastise them because of it, but to know better yourself not to listen to most of it, as it is usually there to slander these companies and not even give them a chance. I should know, I am guilty of this at times myself. I think however, the different company deserves a chance at working with such productions, and I am trying to be more tolerable of them. The big name of these companies instills the idea of unfavorable results.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:04 am Reply with quote
"I think to answer you LB, most people see it best to just expect the worst from companies like C/TS because the other features and products they release do not appeal to most anime fans, and thus we see a lack of expierience in handling anime."

I disagree there. They own a lot of Hong Kong films on bilingual dvd-as opposed to Disney-a number of kaiju films on dub-only dvd, and Takeshi Kitano's Brother. (Edited for an R rating and featureless.) Plus they just put out Spiderman, which is the highest grossing film of the year.
Hagakure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:48 am Reply with quote
What you say is true, Gatsu, but not many people know they own these films, and thus they do not contribute to the overall image of the company. Its more about what others THINK of the companies, not what the companies actually are. I am not saying its fair, but its the way LOTS of people, otaku or not, see such industries. No one wants to go online and check a companies actual history before they slander their ability.

I don't understand what you mean about Spiderman. Are you saying it appeals to anime fans and betters the companies image because of that? Maybe, I guess. If the fan in question likes Spiderman. I don't really see how having the highest grossing movie can make a company look any better in the CB dillema, because almost no one who goes to a highest grossing movie even knows CB. If anything, it will make people worry more about their abillity to handle a smaller film that will ultimatley (sorry but its true) profit less.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:27 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone didn't know, ANS just mentioned that the movie will be showing at AX and AX called it "Knockin' on Heaven's Door".
Gyro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

In case anyone didn't know, ANS just mentioned that the movie will be showing at AX and AX called it "Knockin' on Heaven's Door".

What exactly is AX? I keep hearing that the movie will be subbed and renamed "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" for the North American release. (What were they thinking? Tsk tsk.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:31 pm Reply with quote
AX is Anime Expo, a big anime con in Long Beach, Ca. And the title is the name of a Dylan song, so Sony didn't wanna get sued.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Man. I hope that the actual release of this movie won't be subbed. Bebop is not Bebop without David Lucas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The Bebop movie is fine. Read ANS for details.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

The Bebop movie is fine. Read ANS for details.

I'm working on a larger report for Ima Korin, but I saw Cowboy Bebop: The Movie at AnimeExpo. The movie is uncut, with only a few very minor subtitle problems which will be corrected for the full theatrical release. We had a rough cut at AX as well as contributing equipment problems to deal with. They were down to one projector, so had to have a 5 minute intermission to change reels. Similar to Escaflowne it will probably be seen in both subtitled and dubbed versions in various theaters.

Right, its 3am on the west coast, and I'm getting ready to get on a plane to head home. The rest of the AX reports will pop up over the next few days as the staff settle in at home.

later,

Allen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1