• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bamboo Blade.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countchocula86

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Blade

Just curious if anyone else is watching this series? Just saw episode 3 today, and Im finding it quite entertaining but Im sorta baffled as to why. I mean its not particularly exciting or hilarious. Its not like the ultimate goal of the Coach is anything extreme.
But then, maybe thats why I do like it. It seems sort of down to earth, but with a slightly ridiculous tint to it. And Im definitly finding the characters thoroughly entertaining.

Anyone else?

[EDIT: Added the Encyc. entry for quick reference and also added this topic to the "All Discussions" thread. -TK]
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga but I've been watching and enjoying the anime series so far. I'm not entirely sure myself why I like it so much. It's probably because I've never played or seen the sport here in North America, closest thing here is probably fencing. I'm quite fascinated in the sport because of it's background history. Shortly before the series had aired I had seen a documentary on PBS about Japanese samurai swords and how they're made; was just awesome. Of course they'll show and talk about kendo which seemed that it's a sport of extreme discipline and concentration. Then my fascination in this sport grew as it seemed to be my kind of sport.

I really like the show so far as it slowly introduces (new) members to the club. One of my favorite characters so far is Tamaki Kawazoe. She's spoiler[a kendo prodigy inspired by a tokusatsu called, I think is was, "Blade Braver" that is like one of those Power Ranger shows. I find it quite amusing as Toraji Ishida, the high school's kendo teacher, encourages Tamaki with all this tokusatsu stuff about righteousness, justice, etc.] I find that the plot overall enjoyable but could be better in some areas. The character designs are fine by me, even with Danjūrō Eiga. Can't say much about about the music though, it's not bad but just plain in my standards. I guess I'll be watching it till the end as it seems that my "List of Anime Titles to Watch" is really short this time of year. Confused
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Why does everyone like Tama? Seriously, out of three forums everyone seems to be pretty positive about her or find her interesting. BUt She just seems like one of those typical sports-robot characters that permeate sports anime/manga. At least she's not in the Kendo club because of some sort BS like "friends make sports fun!" and instead did it because of her sense of fair play. I guess she could've been worse, but IMO not much.

Miya seems to be interesting though as of episode 3 with her split personality ^^;;

If anything the one reason why I'm sticking with the series so far is to see what her reasons for her problem are O_o

Her odd relationship with the fat-short-guy and her happy-go-lucky facade make it kind of hard to really come up with a reason for her to be in the Kendo club (unless it's to hit on fat-guy O_o)

Last edited by teferi on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
countchocula86

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Tama-chan is definetly not my favourite character lol. she's interesting, thats for sure, seeming so vacant and robotic, but then the moment someone speaks of "fighting for justice" her eyes light up haha.

I quite like Kirino, she's so cute and quirky lol, like how the smell of sweat gets her all fired up, and just her actions in general.

Dan kinda annoys me all the time lol, but whatever. Miyas dark side scares me, but in a good way lol
kevn57

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Why does everyone like Tama? Seriously, out of three forums everyone seems to be pretty positive about her or find her interesting. BUt She just seems like one of those typical sports-robot characters that permeate sports anime/manga. At least she's not in the Kendo club because of some sort BS like "friends make sports fun!" and instead did it because of her sense of fair play. I guess she could've been worse, but IMO not much.

I like Tama because she's an otaku not a sports freak and I like the show because of the really odd collection of characters, Chiba wanting to throw stuff at potential club candidates and Eiga because it's always nice seeing the short fat egg shaped kid wind up with the hottest chick even if she is slightly dysfunctional or even if she's completely dysfunctional Laughing
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
kevn57 wrote:
teferi wrote:

I like Tama because she's an otaku not a sports freak and I like the show because of the really odd collection of characters, Chiba wanting to throw stuff at potential club candidates and Eiga because it's always nice seeing the short fat egg shaped kid wind up with the hottest chick even if she is slightly dysfunctional or even if she's completely dysfunctional Laughing

Depends on your definition of sports freak =|

I guess I should've clarified what I meant by sports robot; I meant that Tama is the type of character who plays a sport, but not for fun. She pretty much takes no enjoyment in Kendo prior to joining the club and sees it as some sort of familial duty. That she's uber at kendo doesn't really help much either =\

I jsut instictively find her boring because of that.

Quote:
the short fat egg shaped kid wind up with the hottest chick even if she is slightly dysfunctional or even if she's completely dysfunctional

She's acomplete wacko ^^;;

Or so I'm guessing Anime hyper
countchocula86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Jeez Miya Miya scares the bejesus out of me!! she's one twisted twisted character.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I started this show last week, and it seems... Fun enough, especially considering that I haven't seen a sports anime in years. Really, the last sports anime that I saw to completion was... Slam Dunk!. Sports really isn't my genre in anime (or in real life...).

Well, I'd agree with all you Miya-Miya and Kirino fans here... So far, they're the most interesting characters in the show... Kirino takes care of the nice-and-nutty quirky character role, while Miya takes care of the just-plain-crazy yandere role. Great! The Saya character also seems interesting (as of ep.3).

It does seem that Tama is the least interesting character in the show, though. She seems not to have the kind of character quirks that the other members of the cast do... But we'll have to see, I suppose.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I like Saya alot to lol, her jumping from hobby to hobby, hoping to be amazing at it
countchocula86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
So anyone still watching this one? It seemed pretty cool at first, but now the plot feels like its really broken apart an frayed apart

spoiler[2 episodes devoted to Tama-chan working in the store?]
spoiler[The Teachers bet being nullified like that? And now he's apparantly gonna be fired?]
Things just seem to be happening willy-nilly[/spoiler]
lukezskywalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The show has its share of laughs. The characters are interesting enough for me to invest my time.

I am glad the sport is not the central plot focus. I would hate to watch another generic sport clone anime where main character and his/her rival devotes many episodes to level up and face each other in competition.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
I still find this series to be a lot of fun in a rather simple way. I think what I like most is that it's a series about girls and we aren't being slammed over the head by the fanservice baka hammer. It's a cute series and it has sincerely made me laugh out loud many times. Also, I think the showdown with the mean lady in the parking lot at the supermarket is one of the most amazing bits of animation I've ever seen. The slow motion, the facial and gestural expressions, and the yelling being left entirely to the imagination, it was beautiful in its simplicity. What I'm really enjoying is that they're moving beyond this being a series about a girl's kendo club and adding more plot elements to the series.

Of all the great series that have come out this year, this is the one that's captured my attention the most. I'm eagerly awaiting a good sub of episode 12 (because that "enlightened" group is unwatchable).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
countchocula86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Ep 13

spoiler[I love how the young girl from the other school saw Tama and decided to stay in Kendo. Kinda didn't like how the old Kendo teacher ultimately decided not to change his teaching style to something more relaxed. I totally understand why he didn't, but I dont really like it lol.]

spoiler[Azuma, at first, struck me as being a boring character, but she's shaping up well. She could even give Tama a run for her money, and there will (obviously) be drama with her parents.]
oo4443

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
me too i love the series i cannot stand it already half over . i think i like it is because it about a sport we over here do not know anything about for the most past and everyone on the show is cool to watch in the show cant wait to see how it ends. also i one thing i hope some company will pick up this title and bring it over here what do you guys think?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
It might be a hard sell. Prince of Tennis and Hikaru no Go are two titles that took a long time to get over here and that was after a lot of fan demand. Both of those titles are not typical shonen series, neither is incredibly over the top and keep their focus (tennis or Go) pretty straight forward but still fun. Bamboo Blade is the same formula, it's not a very typical shojo series, when it comes to its main focus (kendo) it's pretty straight forward and not at all over the top. Sure it's a great series that is fairly well character driven, but without magic and monsters and super over the top kendo tactics I'm not sure just how well it would do outside of Japan. I'd love to see it do well over here, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the risk.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3