• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva 1.0 Wins Tokyo Anime Fair's Animation of the Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So they reward the most innovative theatrical release and let Eva 1.0 win? And they call Hideaki Anno the best director of the year although he didn't direct anything for a long time (TV-footage reproducing remakes don't count!).
This smells very fishy given the fact that there were better candidates for those titles.

But I am content with Gurren Lagann being rewarded as an innovative TV show and for its character design. Denno Coil is a good choice, too, as well as Kanno's music for Aquarion OVA.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
That's just wrong that 'Denno Coil' didn't win. I mean that show was such an under the radar show that brought about a pretty lively fanbase. It was the most original and well animated show of 2007. The first good show I've seen in a LOOOOONG while.

And the other titles did well too. But c'mon 'Eva'??? Well, y'knew that was getting the award without even trying. It's 'Eva' nuff said.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed series, hell I even went out and bought the boxset after watching if for the first time [fully] in years. But I'm not an 'Eva' addict or one to go around and say it's the best feature EVER! I guess I'll just never understand it. Now does this mean that 'Anno' is as big as 'Miyazaki' now?
hara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Denno Coil did get an award, Chrno2. It's animation of the year in the TV category (together with Gurren Lagann).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Denno Coil did get an award, Chrno2. It's animation of the year in the TV category (together with Gurren Lagann).

Oh it did??? Excellent!

That's right! They better recognize!!
Now if someone can pick it up I'll be so happy! Crying or Very sad Smile

I'm still trying to figure 'Gurren Lagann' out. But I guess the folks at 'Gainax' did something right for the hot-blooded "otakus". One of these days I'll have to give it a spin and find out why. That is once I can get past the insanity.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Anno won director? Shocked Eva also won. Not surprising, but... then again, it's Eva. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Tekkonkinkreet is still picking up award, it sure deserve them! ^__^

Also, I'm very happy to see Gainax doing well - I can't wait for Eva 1.0 and Gurren Lagann's US release!

hara wrote:
This smells very fishy given the fact that there were better candidates for those titles.

There's nothing suspicious about a popular movie winning a prestigious award :s
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
These awards seem like political crap to me. I can only speak for the Gainax/Khara shows though since I haven't seen the others. Hideaki Anno is a terrible director, and he wasn't even the Director for Evangelion 1.0 according to ANN credits, it was Kazuya Tsurumaki, so letting Evangelion win is just for "anime politics" I would suspect. I haven't seen Eva 1.0 yet though for myself (I'm just very familiar with Anno and Tsurumaki's styles...btw I'm not implying that they are similar) so I might change my mind when I do.

About character designer, that also looks like a political award to me. I am not sure exactly what Atsushi Nishigori did and didn't do for Gurren-Lagann, and I acknowledge that Yoko is an excellent character design, but that's it. She's only one person. Everyone else in Gurren-Lagann looks like characters from Samurai Jack (or Dead Leaves). Anyone who thinks that's high quality character art is an idiot.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Great. An award trophy that looks like how hentai mangaka draw female parts. How appropriate. Laughing
Periodeia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
hara wrote:

Oh it did??? Excellent!

That's right! They better recognize!!
Now if someone can pick it up I'll be so happy! Crying or Very sad Smile

I'm still trying to figure 'Gurren Lagann' out. But I guess the folks at 'Gainax' did something right for the hot-blooded "otakus". One of these days I'll have to give it a spin and find out why. That is once I can get past the insanity.

Personally, I think Gurren Lagann has a lot of heart and can appeal to a wide audience. I'm certainly not a "hot-blooded otaku" or a fan of mecha, but I absolutely loved it. You can enjoy it both as a tribute to the past and a fun adventure story.
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
About character designer, that also looks like a political award to me. I am not sure exactly what Atsushi Nishigori did and didn't do for Gurren-Lagann, and I acknowledge that Yoko is an excellent character design, but that's it. She's only one person. Everyone else in Gurren-Lagann looks like characters from Samurai Jack (or Dead Leaves). Anyone who thinks that's high quality character art is an idiot.

Are you really calling Dead Leaves a weak production in terms of design? Are you blind or just moronic?

Not to mention that, sadly, GL barely looks similar to Dead Leaves:

Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyone who thinks that's high quality character art is an idiot.

nuh uh, theyre soooooo kewl and that yoko chick is SOOOOO hawt and youre just jelous LOL

Not even going to touch the Anno win. Leave that to gatsu.

But as crazy as I'm going to sound, I actually like Gurren Lagann more than Denno Coil. I know, Coil's animation and direction are pretty much second to none, and I do think it's one of the best anime in years. I NEVER prefer shows like TTGL over stuff like Denno Coil, but there's something about Gainax's grand homage to shonen adventure and old-school Sci-fi anime that's absolutely infectious; for lack of a better description the whole thing just kicks ass. It's got the kind of purity and heart that's rare in anime nowadays; the only think I can really compare it too is the Giant Robo OVA. As as much as I love and applicate Denno Coil (and I really do) I don't think its imaginative qualities aren't quite as brilliant as many people make them out to be. But really, when it comes down to it TTGL gets me wound up like a ten-year-old on Saturday morning. I can't even remember the last time that happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1