• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime TV Ranking: March 10–16

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Naruto was #11 witha 6.2 which would've got it into the top 10 every week of the Fall Season.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, Shin-Chan came back with force. Nice to see it go above 11.0.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Let us pray that this a preemptive indication that Naruto will lose enough steam that they might decide to end the series in the next 2 years or so.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Let us pray that this a preemptive indication that Naruto will lose enough steam that they might decide to end the series in the next 2 years or so.

Read my post and realize your stupidity, this is coming from someone who doesn't like Naruto btw!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:

Finish what ya started is what I'd like to say. Besides, how the heck would they even finish it in only two years?

Anyway, since One Piece is consistently up there, why the heck aren't Americans taking to it? I mean, it should just as easily appeal to Americans just as well as the Japanese. It has everything Americans normally like (with pirates!). I dun get it. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Anyway, since One Piece is consistently up there, why the heck aren't Americans taking to it? I mean, it should just as easily appeal to Americans just as well as the Japanese. It has everything Americans normally like (with pirates!). I dun get it. Confused

Or possibly people are more into Jack Sparrow than they are with something that's Japanese and a cartoon. Plus I don't think that this series has gotten the hype that Naruto and Bleach got. Add onto that the 4Kids incident, that probably explains a good portion of why this series wouldn't catch on with everybody.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Or possibly people are more into Jack Sparrow than they are with something that's Japanese and a cartoon.

I meant anime fans in general, not just anyone. (And I know a lot of anime fans as well as non-fans care too much for Jack Sparrow, but that hasn't kept them from being into their Japanese cartoons.)

fighterholic wrote:
Plus I don't think that this series has gotten the hype that Naruto and Bleach got. Add onto that the 4Kids incident, that probably explains a good portion of why this series wouldn't catch on with everybody.

I can only think that 4Kids licensing it destroyed the hype for the anime. Even so, there's still the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I meant anime fans in general, not just anyone. (And I know a lot of anime fans as well as non-fans care too much for Jack Sparrow, but that hasn't kept them from being into their Japanese cartoons.)

Even with anime fans in general, people are into mecha, Haruhi Suzumiya, cute girl anime, Naruto and Inuyasha. There is a fanbase for One Piece I'm sure, but their numbers just can't beat out what fanbases of the aforementioned have. That I think is a pretty big factor for why this series wouldn't or hasn't caught on that well over here.

Quote:
I can only think that 4Kids licensing it destroyed the hype for the anime. Even so, there's still the manga.

Exactly. That's what killed it, and I think that is a well accepted fact over here. The manga has been able to keep itself alive, but still can't get to where Naruto and FB are in manga.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. That's what killed it, and I think that is a well accepted fact over here. The manga has been able to keep itself alive, but still can't get to where Naruto and FB are in manga.

I actually got into One Piece because it was made available thanks to 4Kids on TV. And I didn't think it was bad at the time, but I'm just saying that at least they got the idea out there...

I've stopped buying Naruto in English at the moment as it just takes up too much time and money. I'm already buying them in Japanese and will probably catch up with the English ones later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1