• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation CEO Discusses Anime's Future with Variety

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brians9824

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
He gets an A+ for actually admitting they look at downloads of fansubs to help them determine what to market in the US. I'm so sick of the companies who go on and on about how fansubs are so evil and then USE them to their advantage as free market research.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
I think Gen expecting Legal Downloads to outsell merachandise like Action figures, means they're not expecting much from One Piece(if it even survives on TV), or the Rebirth of the DragonBall franchise. Not that I think legal downloads will ever surpass those totals, anyways.

And I doubt FUNi uses the "license by DL Numbers" technique to heart, or I'm sure something like Hell Girl, which was under the radar for it's Japanese life, wouldn't get licensed. It explains the popular series(like Claymore, and Ouran) which may not exactly be on non FuniTV television channels. For them being just too odd, or too different(looking at Ouran).
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
And yet I clearly remembered the heads over of FUNi stating that action/adventure gains more money than anything else.

It's unfortunate, yes. But the reality is slowly setting in: Anime wouldn't've became so popular if it weren't for the efforts of the "free Free FREE" otaku-tachi.

Host Club, Claymore, maybe even Megafuku (Mamoru-kun Megami Shukufuku). I'm patiently waiting for those titles. But "animu" for losers and by losers? Stuff like Zero no Kodomo no Clannad Hayate? Then the industry would burn to its own death. Sad
Serafuku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

It's unfortunate, yes. But the reality is slowly setting in: Anime wouldn't've became so popular if it weren't for the efforts of the "free Free FREE" otaku-tachi.

It was already getting extremely popular before Youtube and all of this online piracy was taking place.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
There really is no solid basis for either statement.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Where have you been? That describes EVERYTHING said on these boards. Maybe even the Internet as a whole. ~_^
Serafuku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

If your referring to my comment then I'll have to say that yes there is a solid basis. Anime popularity was exploding when everyone still had 56k modems. Anime popularity used to be shown through DVD sales and is now shown through the number of torrents downloaded and the number of times something is watched on crunchyroll/youtube. Also convention attendance also provides one with the knowledge of anime's popularity.

I'd also like to know what your reasoning for your statement is.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
Fukuyama-san forgot to mention the giant heap of DBZ profits that made it possible to make such changes to how it does business without faltering a single step :3
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Don't bother waiting for Mamoru-kun, unless you've already seen it or enough of it to know you liked it. It thought it turned into crap after 10 episodes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Xanas wrote:

Where have you been? That describes EVERYTHING said on these boards. Maybe even the Internet as a whole. ~_^
Careful or he'll have you believing that includes the whole planet as well. Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
He gets an A+ for actually admitting they look at downloads of fansubs to help them determine what to market in the US. I'm so sick of the companies who go on and on about how fansubs are so evil and then USE them to their advantage as free market research.

Yeah, yeah it was rumored that one of the reasons Rozen Maiden got picked up was because of it's astounding tracker numbers, and the sales stunk worse than dead skunk urine.

So as a business practice, one should be very careful these days trusting anything the fans watch en masse. And the trackers will become less and less an indication, as the newer generation of fans become the overwhelming super majority.

But at least Con attendance and tracker numbers are up both in Japan and the US. That can't be denied.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry this is a little off topic. But did they mention in that article that only "hardcore fans" will know about Trinity Blood? Didn't that show air on Cartoon Network several times? And didn't it receive so-so reviews because of its story telling issues? That just kind of threw me off for a minute.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:

Yeah, yeah it was rumored that one of the reasons Rozen Maiden got picked up was because of it's astounding tracker numbers, and the sales stunk worse than dead skunk urine.

Indeed the only reason I could possibly see for people to actually sit down and watch the thing beyond the first episodes is because it was free...Not many series have me reeling away THAT fast.

Unlike Haruhi though, that had huge fan buzz and should have done really well on DVD because it was actually a good show...but that failed as well.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully he sees the popularity of "Seto no Hanayome" and license that, already!
tissuebubble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I think they look at download numbers as well as many other things (like buzz and mainstream appeal). People online download things because they can and also download odd things they normally wouldn't want (or might watch just once). Funimation needs to look for something that is popular and will sell well (meaning something that people will want to keep and rewatch).

Download numbers are just one of many different metrics they use to judge a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2