• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wings of Honneomise/ Right Stuff

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:48 am Reply with quote
I watched the Right Stuff last night, and I suspect it was an influence on WoH. Both movies begin with a funeral for a fallen test pilot, complete with accordion music, and both feature a scene of pilots watching failed rocket tests, as rocket after rocket blows up. It's a big surprise that one film about early space travel influenced another film about early space travel; just thought I'd mention it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that Right Stuff must of been Gainax's initial inspiration. There are notable changes, such as the Russians beating the US into space, rather than trying to steal the rocket, or how in Wings the ship is militarized. There is some commentary in WoH on the same subject matter, but it smacks more to me of Gainax's philosophy starting up.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Since The Right Stuff is a true story, it was more inspiration by the US space program than anything
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Since The Right Stuff is a true story, it was more inspiration by the US space program than anything

That's certainly true; still, the makers of WoH had clearly seen Right Stuff, and the specific parallels I noticed had as much to do with the presentation of the story in Right Stuff as the basic subject matter (Funeral with accordion at the beginning, etc.) I'm certainly not accusing Gainax of "ripping off" Right Stuff; just that there was an influence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1