• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Episode from Mushishi...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandy_taty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched all the episodes of Mushishi, but all I can say that I barely start watching Mushishi.

The second Ep.: The eyelids. I love it! Especially when Biki didn’t care about Sui that he could get ill by visit her. He always makes her company.

Also Ginko gave away his eye, so Biki will be able to be with her. I wish there were Mushi, but I’m making my mind that can be danger.

So what your favorite episode?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh god yes, I loved that episode. I think that's probably my favorite overall, but there's a number of other single episodes that are really high up there as well.

Episode 1 - spoiler[Has the best 'spirited away' scene ever, period. Bar none. That is exactly what I would imagine being spirited away would be like, and the shot of her looking down at her feet and having them almost moving by themselves with her walking in the line was almost as spellbinding for me as it was for her. That was basically when I decided to give this show a 10/10, my opinion wavered a few times after that, but never too much.]

Episode 6 - spoiler[I didn't catch it the first time I watched this episode, but it is really very reminiscent of an addict's problem. Some people just can't live without their drug once they've tasted it and become addicted. As these people have been living each moment as though they were newborns, each moment fresh with life, and the experience of experiencing something for the first time, they can not go back to being normal people, the thought of living so long is too terrifying for them to comprehend. Probably my favorite psychological eps.]

Episode 17 - spoiler[The tale of the two sisters where one of them got lost in the other dimension. Although it did seem like the solution wasn't nearly as dangerous as Ginko made it out to be, this was another extremely touching episode where I really cared for them.]

Episode 20(?) - spoiler[The one where Ginko is looking through the library and actually is hanging out with the only girl in the show he actually seems to like, I had been wondering the whole show up to this point whether or not he was a eunuch or something. Neutral]

Episode 22 - spoiler[The island of reincarnation. Oh god, this was a really interesting one. The whole concept and ideas behind it all were just so bizarre, but extremely fascinating at the same time. It was also interesting to watch Ginko flounder as he had no idea what he was doing.]

Episode 25 - spoiler[When Ginko is trying to help the girl who can see the future. I can't say I love sad endings... but I love it when they're realistic, and sometimes, things just don't work out the way you want them to.]

Ok, so if I have to narrow it down to just one episode? I too will probably say episode 2, for essentially the same reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
This may not completely fit with this topic, but starting a new thread would be useless. I have just finished Mushishi and I think it is one of the most chilled, calming animes ever. I am not sure why though. Maybe its Ginko's voice, maybe its the music, or maybe its the relaxed way of life everyone has in the show. Does anyone else just feel really calm and relaxed after watching an episode?

To comply with the thread, I would have to say the final episode is my favorite. They took a direction not normally taken in shows by putting the focus on someone other than the main character and I enjoyed some of the background info on Ginko. If only Naruto could break away from the main character for a few episodes.....maybe not show him at all. Don't want to give anything else away about Mushishi, but if anyone is just looking for a relaxing anime to watch after something with intense emotion/drama/action or comedy, I would strong suggest this anime.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, Mushishi has a particular aura to it that I can't quite explain either. There's just something about it that feels so free-flowing, despite the supernatural and extra-ordinary presence of Mushi.

I like to refer to the series as being a compilation of "fantastic fairy tales." Each episode tells some kind of story, but it just never does it in the fashion of your everyday, linear shounen or shoujo title.

It's calming and a great change of pace where you can just kick back and enjoy things as they unfold without having to really think or question things through. What happens, happens, and you never get a sense of "well that was stupid" or "jeez, I wish this or that had happened instead."

I think part of the charm this franchise has is that everything falls naturally into place. And by "naturally" I mean "as a part of nature." Right from the get-go in episode one we learn what Mushi are and you just sort of come to accept it within the first two or three episodes. And the rest is just sheer enjoyment, if you're into great, episodic storytelling.

But this all very well supported by the production values as well. Artwork is very exotic and almost surreal in some places when you see the lush and colorful backgrounds or the strangely mystifying Mushi.

However, I think the number one contributing factor is the music. Toshio Masuda (who did Naruto, ironically) does a spectacular job with the score. All the chimes, bells, and strings create wonderful pieces that range from creepy to serene and really add that extra level of depth.

And yes, Ginko's voice carries a very subtle and soothing demeanor to it. You can't help but listen to everything he says and how it affects both the viewer in understanding each individual Mushi scenario or any of the characters he's trying to help. His seiyuu does a very fine job, indeed.

Suffice it to say, though, this series is not recommended for everyone. It's not high on action, but I hear a lot of people compare this to a sort of Studio Ghibli quality atmosphere in terms of production and storytelling. And do note that I've NOT yet seen a Miyazaki film. However, if his movies and this series are in any way, shape, or form similar in structure, I'll be sure to watch them as soon as possible Anime hyper.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
However, if his movies and this series are in any way, shape, or form similar in structure, I'll be sure to watch them as soon as possible Anime hyper.

They're not, don't get your hopes up. The atmosphere of Mushishi has never been replicated or copied in anything in my opinion. If you were to ask for the most similar thing in my opinion, it would be Kamichu!, most definitely not Miyazaki. If there's one thing Miyazaki's most popular films do not exhibit, it is natural order, logic, and seeming simplicity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
beast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
Kino No Tabi (personal rating of 9/10) does what Mushishi (10/10) does and is almost as good, just in a slightly different way. Mood-wise, nothing I've seen comes closer to Mushishi.

I haven't seen Mushishi episode 26 yet, but my favorite episodes so far were 05 (wandering swamp), 06 (worshipped Child-Goddess on an island), 10 (freezing kids & ink stone), 12 (Ginko's past), 16 (forgetful mother), 17 (twin girl who lost herself in the cocoon system) and 25 (the girl who sees forever!).
Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the movie and the manga which will bring us new unseen adventures! Smile
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to second the recommendation for Kino's Journey-- it's different than Mushishi (nothing's really quite like it), and definitley more uneven (there were eps that bored me), but it often has that quiet, contemplative, philosophical bent to it, with bursts of action, and a hint of sadness (or acceptance?) re: some of the unanswerable/unsolvable questions/situations in life.

I'd also suggest YKK-- which is a 10/10 in my book-- 2 very, very chill OVAs (each 2 eps long), with beautifully rendered shots of nature, a chill, chill pace, good music, and an occasional hint at the heavier, sadder side of life. It doesn't have the kind of character development you get in Mushishi though- nor any of the (occasional) action. Truth be told, it really has no plot at all, but the feeling you get from it is just wonderful-- peaceful, calm, appreciative, playful.

As for Mushishi-- besides the absolutely stunning drawings of nature, and the beautiful, varied music, I'd have to say that for me, it's the writing. Namely, so many of the eps don't just tell a beautiful story, but actually really use the different types of Mushi to create beautiful metaphors for the way people work and think. The mushi often represent the emotional/psychological problem of how people relate to other people. It's all done so seemlessly, somtimes it just sort of slips by, but for example (I don't remember the ep #s)--

-- the ep with the man chasing the rainbow for his father,
-- the ep with the forgetful mother,
-- the one with the woman who created the ink stone
-- the ep with the island that uses the flowers, or
-- the ep with the island community where people are reincarnated

are all so amazingly well written, it boggles me. The amount of story (and time lapse) that the original manga-writer was able to put into an ep is amazing-- it's always the story of a new person, so you have to go through that "introduction" phase, etc. and yet, it almost always blew me away. So much happens, so much time passes, people really develop, that you often get a sense of some of the larger issues in life-- all in 22 minutes!! I'd always sort of sit there and listen to the new music at the end of each ep and just... ponder it for a few minutes.

Wonderful work. Loved all of it. I don't understand how she (?) is able to produce a new story of this caliber every month. Seriously, it seems almost impossible to me. As a writer, I'm amazed by it. Great show. In all respects frankly.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
I know it's so late but I just found this thread I just got to share my thoughts and commens about this fave series of mine.

Love all the episodes and all were memorable...... And all are very well written.

Here's some of the episodes I really like and hugely enjoyed.....

(Episode 2) "The Light of the Eyelid" (spoiler[I was touched by the girl's living condition. One single glimpse of light can cause her disaster, so she was locked up in a dark cellar. Then often her friend would visit her and they'll play inside that dark cellar, that was a very moving scene.])

(Episode 7) "Raindrops and Rainbows" (spoiler[Love the rainbow Mushi. The story was so interesting to me.])

(Episode 15) "Pretense of Spring" (spoiler[I loved how the concept of the story and the beautiful spring scenery. And this particular episode I thought it's the end of Ginko LoL!])

(Episode 16) "Sunrise Serpent" (spoiler[I like how the son's reaction because of his mom's tragic Mushi encounter. I especially like the part when they found out his dad had a new family. Then his mom soon forgot huge amount of her memory. I love the scene when they spend the night in an abandoned house, when the boy cried.])

(Episode 19) "String from the Sky" (spoiler[Love the story and the two characters.... I really like this episode because it had a happy ending. The best part of the story is when the guy realizes he needs to accept her condition. I also like the scene where he was staring at the sky remembring the time he had spend with her in the hill.])

(Episode 23) "The Sound of Rust" (spoiler[Touching story as well and I find the snowy mountain so serene. The girl's condition was so sad since she wasn't allowed to speak for ten years. Everyone in her village seems avoiding her (they suspects for being the caused of the plague) but there is this man who is willing to talk to her.])

(Episode 26) "The Sound of Footsteps on the Grass" (spoiler[Even though we don't get to see much of Ginko. This last episode stood out the most cause I like how we learned something about Ginko's past. I also like the vivid mountain scenery and the fog. I also think that because this particular ending haven't come to some conclusion, I'm still hoping for a second season, since the manga is still ongoing.])

All in all every episode (and I mean every single episode) were great. They have their moments and greatness but these are the ones that stood out the most for me..... I'm writing this out of my memory, maybe when I re-watch the series again I may add some......

This series is so hauntingly beautiful and unique. Each episode are so intruiging and highly captivative. I was so lucky to have seen this series, a gem in my collection.

Now I need to follow the manga to witness Ginko's journey and meet new mushi. I'm in search for a good conclusion for this spectacular series. spoiler[Needless to say even though this series would have an open conclusion it'll be satisfying, granted that it had given me such great stories because it is an episodic series.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1