• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seeking new anime or those who have similar tastes as me!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pariah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Twisted Evil

First off, I'm currently getting back into anime and manga now, after being out of the loop for almost a year. So I guess this is kind of an intro thread as well. Anime and Manga played a huge role in my life for 4 years untill other interests pulled me away from it. But I've recently rediscovered anime and am trying to get back into the "loop" again. I'm looking for some new Tittles, preferable manga, to getinto. The genre, if it is even one, that I like is hard to describe. I guess I'm into stories that are a little more adult, deal with usually realistic or at least comprehendable problems, mostly sci/fi, fantasy, action. I like stories with a lot of drama, and are high energy and also a little macabre. You know, kinda dealing with topics that dont really get discussed a lot, ie. drugs, sex, religion, attraction... I, however, don't like excessive gore in fight scenes, a bloody lip is fine with me, but no blood spraying out like fountains similar to Ninja Scroll. And I don't like when they are overly sombre and use a lot of repersentation and that whole *who am i? what is reality?* bs like they had in LAIN. Basically, I belive in the idea that every story doesn't HAVE to have a happy ending.I know this is kinda hard to visualize, so I will give some examples of some of my favorite tittles that possess all or most of the above things described:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion Movie- This movie had it ALL! Anything similar to that type of story is what I'm talking about. Drama, terror, tottal mind f*ckiness!

Angel Sanctuary
Chojin Locke
Clover
Rev. Girl Utena
Kare Kano *I like real-life stories too*
Vampire Princess Miyu
X

To name a new. Anyway, if anyone can help, or you have similar interests, respond! =D
SilkyAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Here's a few you might like.

-Boogiepop Phantom
-Perfect Blue
-Blood
-Bastard
-Tokyo Babylon

Hope that helps some. ^^;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, new anime huh. Well here a really short list of new stuff that just came out/yet to.

Strange Dawn
GateKeepers (TV/21)
The Evangelion Movies.
Now and Then, Here and There.
X TV
Sakura Wars TV
The new Kenshin OVAs (I have Vol 1 and it rocks.)
Inu Yatura (sp)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Neilworms

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I have the exact same problem as you when it comes to finding descent manga. For anime it is fairly easy to find quality work. Their are many webpages to see which ones consistantly come out on top (or at least seem interesting to me). But with manga, I don't know a thing about where to look. It usually involves guess work, and some knowledge of the manga-ka.

Two examples of manga that I liked were Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the valley of the Wind(which is a lot like Princess Mononoke, particularly the second half of the manga) and Osamu Tezuka's Adolf (which was one of the last works by the father of postwar anime and manga). Adolf is kind of historical fiction, I don't know if it fits your interests, it is very well done, their is no doubt why Tezuka was the one who really made manga popular in Japan. This was the first manga to be sold in the normal Fiction section (in Japan), and not with the other manga.

Their are many manga that are actually the basis of the anime that you described. The X manga is supposed to make the movie look like complete nonsense. I'd recommend checking those series out as a start. The only problem is that most manga dosen't get released over here. Odd since in Japan the manga market is much larger than the one for anime.

I guess this is sort of an aside, but does anybody know where their is a good review page of manga? The one that I found was Shoujo and more, which is hard to navigate, and dosen't really have any detailed reviews.
Chi Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Gah the X movie is a horrid piece of garbage. I'd rather eat corn floating in a men's room toilet rather than sit through that again Shocked

As for anime suggestions, I reccommend Nadia.

Like eva, it borrows a lot from everthing such as various religions, freudian psychology, history, legends, other anime Wink But it really is very good. The story is extremely well written, and all of the episodes never fail to amaze and entertain.

I'll post more suggestions as soon as I can remember them.
Pariah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Twisted Evil

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've acctually already looked at all the tittles suggested except Nadia and Adolf. And I'm acctually not into the translated manga at all, it offers a very limited selection. the Japanese ones are much better. They have the whole *untouched* thing going for them.

And yes X is also another good tittle. I've liked what I read so far too. And as for the movie, yea, it was very rushed, but hey, there are to animated features of it, not just the one realeased in America so far. Plus,look how long the manga is, u try cramming all that story into an hour long movie. The animation in it was beautiful, like always, though.

Also, if anyone has some good 80's anime tittles to check out, let me know!
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Chi Master wrote:

I'll post more suggestions as soon as I can remember them.

Hmmm, Ranma, Urusei Yatusra, Dragonball (I don't think Z was released in the 80's.), Dirty Pair (Orginal), and Maison Ikkoku.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chi Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Heh, Takashi fan Ataru? Razz

Yeah, Ranma is one of my faves. UY is good too, but I've only read the manga so I can't comment on it. Dragonball is kinda for beginner anime fans, but it's still entertaining at times.

But Pariah kinda asked for bleek, morbid and weird themed anime.

Noir is alright. It's a little too dark for me, and I hate the main chara, but most seem to like it anyway.

Berserk is also pretty good. The theme song is awesome.

Di Gi Charat is funny. I don't know why, but it just is.

FLCL like Di Gi charat is also in the funny but don't know why categories. The music is really rockin as well. Krrra!

These are pretty mainstream tho, so you've prob seen all these.

Oh yea, none of those are from the 80's Rolling Eyes
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Chi Master wrote:

Heh, Takashi fan Ataru? Razz

How did you guess. Razz But also Macross (er, Robotech), I belive Star Blazers, and Gaxaly Express 999.
Pariah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Twisted Evil

Chi Master's right, I am more on the look out for the bleek morbid kind of anime. Ranma is just too corny for me and the others aren't really *adult* enough in my opinion. And dragonball Z came out in the 90's. I would, however, like to check out Galaxy Exspress and even the Ronnin Warriors becuase, like I said, all 80s anime is kewl!!!

So whats everyone elses favorite kinds of story lines? Also, any fans of Rainbow Bright and Thundercats, clearly anime influenced. I even heard that Rainbow Bright was acctually an anime called Ribbon Fighter in Japan, any speculations on that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1