• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Plot Summaries

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Lately, there's been a score of users who don't know how to properly post plot summaries on the Encyclopedia. The most important thing to know before posting one is that you must read the rules properly.

In addition to the rules posted on the Encyclopedia, here are some other tips:

1. Proofread your entries before posting. It is important that your plot summary displays proper grammar so that it not only looks professional, but it is also easy to read. If you are having difficulty finding the right words to use on your plot summary, have a dictionary in hand.

2. No trivial notes on your plot summary. When someone wants to know what a particular title is about, they would least likely care if certain voice actors are reprising their roles from their previous works.

3. Do not post an error report as a plot summary. If the existing plot summary has certain mistakes such as storyline, characters, continuity, etc., do not point them out by posting them a plot summary. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the button that says "Report an error in this page." The page will reload with black "ERR" buttons appearing next to each entry. Click on the one next to the plot summary and fill in your error report.

4. No personal comments on your plot summary. Nobody cares if you think a particular title rules or sucks.

5. Watch your language. Use of profanity is subject to a permanent ban from the Encyclopedia.

If you have any further questions, ask any of the Encyclopedia staff members.

A7
Encyclopedia Staff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
One of the silliest problems I encounter on the encyclopedia are double plot summary and photo entries. To handle this I was wondering if including both on the audit system could help. The audits would need some tweaks though.

The urbandictionary.com uses a methodology that could be used as reference. Any person is free to enter definitions into the dictionary, but once present on the website, visitors can vote if the definition matches the word. When users post different definitions for the same words, the most popular (hopefully the most precise) interpretations stay on the top. Link to an example.

If this suggestion is taken into consideration, I'd obviously suggest that only the top summary to be displayed on it's respective web page. If a user finds that a plot summary doesn't depict the anime correctly, he'd be free to write a new one but it wouldn't be automatically posted on the website. The text would only be available to other users who also don't like the original content and after clicking the "Report an error in this page" and the "ERR" buttons they would be offered a chance to vote which plot summary better portrays the title. Or they could write a new one.

The most interesting difference between the Urban Dicitonary and ANN's audit system is how the voting is managed. The permanent never-concluding voting of the UD seems to be "fairer" since the encyclopedia features titles with over 4000 ratings, but accepts that a 12 vote difference can be stated as majority.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
One of the silliest problems I encounter on the encyclopedia are double plot summary and photo entries.

Just use error report button then.

rti9 wrote:
The urbandictionary.com uses a methodology that could be used as reference. Any person is free to enter definitions into the dictionary, but once present on the website, visitors can vote if the definition matches the word. When users post different definitions for the same words, the most popular (hopefully the most precise) interpretations stay on the top.

Unfortunately, the underlined part is not usually the case in anime fandom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Just use error report button then.

I do. The problem is the display of two (sometimes even three) plot summaries for quite a long period of time. Let me put it this way, when the encyclopedia has a misleading summary it seems like a normal error. When the encyclopedia has two summaries it seems like a serious error. On print it would be like the difference between a typo and the picture of the wrong person.

If there is no intention of completely changing the current system, it would be a great improvement if only one summary - even if it is erroneous - was allowed to remain visible. A new plot summary would have to wait for an editorial approval, just like any other error report.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
If there is no intention of completely changing the current system, it would be a great improvement if only one summary - even if it is erroneous - was allowed to remain visible. A new plot summary would have to wait for an editorial approval, just like any other error report.

I think that can be done, just like "number of episodes" and people's mugshots. What do you think, Dan?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The original idea was that people should submit a new picture or plot summary if they think they can do better than the current one. What do you think; is the additional plot/pic usually worse or better than the first comer's plot/pic?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
I think it's 50/50.
The problem is that new pics or summaries are posted quite often, but that the users omit to report the fact that they did post a double.

An editorial approval would be best, or else a warning to encyclopedia staff that a double entry is made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
An editorial approval would be best, or else a warning to encyclopedia staff that a double entry is made.

I know that when a forum post is reported, moderators receive a message which directs them to the reported post. Is it possible to install a similar system for error reports?
rti9

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
Returning to the original post on how to submit plots:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28864
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
A new record? Four plot summaries. I ended up not reporting them because picking one is a real dilemma.

One more dilemma:

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
A new record? Four plot summaries. I ended up not reporting them because picking one is a real dilemma.

It is not as difficult as it seems. The first one was submitted almost six years ago and while it was quite nice, it didn't mention Luffy's special power, which is quite important in the series. The latter two have some weird typographical errors and look like stolen from somewhere else (remember that ANN doesn't allow questions marks in plot summaries but many other sites do). Obviously the second one is the best.

rti9 wrote:
One more dilemma:

The first one is quite vague and didn't explain much about the story structure; the third one spent too much emphasis on Guts' debut and is more like a summary of episode 1. The second one stays (but with typos corrected).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1