• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hell Girl - IFC broadcast.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I was just checking the IFC scheduleand noticed they are going to start showing Hell Girl on Sept. 30 at 5pm Pacific time with a repeat showing on Friday. I guess it will be replacing Gunslinger Girl. Hell Girl has been showing on IFC ondemand since July.
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
I was just checking the IFC scheduleand noticed they are going to start showing Hell Girl on Sept. 30 at 5pm Pacific time with a repeat showing on Friday. I guess it will be replacing Gunslinger Girl. Hell Girl has been showing on IFC ondemand since July.

Just don't go to the web site.....

Cool
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
sogekihei-neko wrote:
samuraiwalt wrote:

Just don't go to the web site.....

Cool

IFC's site? Why? That comment seems random to me, and I am curious why you said that, please explain.
I clicked the link and it seemed fine. I for one am glad to see Hell Girl coming to IFC, it's a good way to watch a show I haven't heard anything over-whelmingly positive for, so this is better than buying or renting.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
IFC's site? Why? That comment seems random to me, and I am curious why you said that, please explain.
sogekihei-neko's post was in reference to the Hell Correspondence website that is central to the story of Hell Girl. Going to that website means communicating with Ai Enma, the Hell Girl, not something to be done lightly.

And personally I found Hell Girl to be a great series. It's a personal favorite and I've got all the singles, the art box, several art books, manga volumes, phone straps and even a T-shirt on order so there's at least one over-whelmingly positive take on the series my friend. (It's not a show for everyone but I loved it.)

The IFC airing is a great opportunity for anyone who is intersted to check out this series.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I for one am glad to see Hell Girl coming to IFC, it's a good way to watch a show I haven't heard anything over-whelmingly positive for, so this is better than buying or renting.

A thread I made back during the fansub run, if you're curious.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Seems like mixed reviews on this (general consensus seems to be great concept that doesn't live up to it's potential), but the background art looks absolutely gorgeous, so I'll give it a shot and set the old VCR to tape it to watch when I get home from work and decide for myself.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
I liked it alot, Bought all the dvds and don't regret it, I hope funi licenses the second season, its seems to be taking longer than I anticipated, alot longer, just hope they didn't decide to drop it, I won't be watching it on tv though, as I have it on dvd but for my opinion its worth it. Beware that it doesn't have a continuing story like most anime, its more of a separate story for each episode deal, like most US TV shows, though way into the show we get some recurring characters and some story elements that continue throughout but if your looking for a typical anime storyline you may be put off.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Hell Girl was a great series as was it's second season Jigoku Shoujo: Futakamori (Hell Girl: Second Cage). I'm glad IFC is airing it. I hope Funimation snags season 2 as well for release here, I found it to be much better than the first season. I'm looking forward to 3rd season which will air this fall over in Japan.

Be warned that Hell Girl is well...kind of an aquired taste. I can definitely see a lot of people disliking it. spoiler[As a whole it's mostly "client of week" episodic in nature and definitely not the most action packed or uplifting of series. It's downright depressing at times.]

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
Even though it didn't really interest me enough to get the DVDs and it doesn't really look like the type of series that I would enjoy, I'll tune in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
sogekihei-neko's post was in reference to the Hell Correspondence website that is central to the story of Hell Girl. Going to that website means communicating with Ai Enma, the Hell Girl, not something to be done lightly.

It's safe just don't go to the site at midnight Smile
wolfsbane12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
First season was great. The last two discs made the story more interesting (her origin is great) and the first four have at least two great episodes each.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:

It's safe just don't go to the site at midnight Smile

It only works if you're harboring a grudge though. Smile
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I checked (just for fun) and hellgirl dot com is actually for sale.

I might be in a world of hurt come midnight now, though Shocked
wolfsbane12

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Funimation did a Hellcorrespondence type thing on their website. I put my boss' name in there (he cut me eleven hours the week before and hasn't given them back yet) but I have yet to see Ai or get a mini-wicker man in the mail.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this on IFC on demand. Its pretty good! I highly suggest this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2