• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see Kemeko DX covered later on, just watch this one and it's such a freak show Laughing

Also Kannagi was really good ... a modern Oh my goddess, but a lot better imho ^^
clavesoon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
I kind of have to agree with all the people bashing Casey's review. If she didn't watch the first season (it doesn't seem like she did), then why the heck is she reviewing the second?

I'm at least as opinionated as she is, and I honestly thought Clannad After Story's opening could have been more pertinent to the foreshadowing (or maybe the baseball game was based off the game, I don't know), but the first episode was obviously constructed to give most of the characters at least some screen time. They did a credible job of trying to lighten the load by spiking the episode with light humor, which I found passably entertaining.

And most anime fans do want to know what happens "after the ending." You get all these discussions, many bordering on asinine, each time a popular anime ends. This happens with movies, books, television series and so on. Of course a Clannad/Key fan would want to know what happens after.

I've seen most of Key's works, though I'm not a super hardcore fan, and personally I believe Clannad has some problems as an anime; but Casey's review appears to make use of colorful adjectives to cover a lack of critical depth.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Casshern: I finally watched Texhnolyze recently, and I'm so happy to see a new show with a similar level of unique and quality art. So much TV anime is so similar in design. And OMG is Ringo the absolute most adorable character you've seen? Amazing voice acting, and her character design and animation just kills.

And speaking of Texhnolyze, what's with this everyone wanting to know "what's going on" already in the first episode? How long did it take to figure out what Texhnolyze was really about? Or Lain, or Code Geass, or, or....? We in the West sure seem to lack patience. With art this good, I don't need to know for awhile what's going on. A slow reveal, done properly, can be great. I agree with Casey on this one at least.

...Though not much else... how about learning a bit about a show or an entire genre before totally trashing it, eh? Clannad is no worse than any other harem show, and better than many. (Of course, the real issue is I suppose that Toradora! was fine because the guy did the cooking and cleaning, right? Yes, I've read Chicks on Anime... Smile ) You're probably right about Akane-iro quality-wise based on the first episode, but actually, several "erotic" shows have been adapted into decent, or even excellent series. It depends on who adapts them, not on the source material, as if all visual novel stories are crap or something. Ever hear of a little gem called School Days?. Or Higurashi? (Because eroge or not has little to do with it anyway, as the ero part is often tiny in visual novels, enough that the ero can be simply cut from translated versions, a la Tsukihime.)

Oh, and I literally LOLd at Zac's Linebarrels of Iron rant. Brilliant, and saves me wasting any time on that one.

Looking forward to Kemeko DX, Kannagi, and Michiko To Hatchin, as well as the new ef and Nodame.
Sheeta_Sumeragi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering where all the naked people came from in Linebarrels, since everyone was dressed 95% of the time in the manga Laughing

Linebarrels of Iron is an OK manga. It's a pity that everyone's going to remember it as this awful anime series with naked chicks and CGI robots...
greyhawk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What's with this everyone wanting to know "what's going on" already in the first episode?

---That's what you have when incompetent reviewers finally get their hands on shows that require them to actually pay attention, something my grandmom could do better.
Quote:
If she didn't watch the first season (it doesn't seem like she did), then why the heck is she reviewing the second?

---It's happened here before really. Obvious trolls are obvious, you're just feeding them by arguing really, they could always come up with something stupid like "but these are just personal preliminary opinions" for all I care.
Flamebait, remember people, just flamebait.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Hm...so i'm alone in actually liking Linebarells. I've seen a ton of robot anime, but for some reason this story stuck more to me then Gundam Seed (I hated GS). Actually, I think the last big robot show I liked was Megas XLR. Smile

I'll sit back and wait for the next few episodes to make a better judgement.

From Zac:
Quote:
Rating: welp time to hang myself (of 5)

Numerically, it sounds like he gave it a -0.0! Gurren Lagann is my favorite robot show now, but Megas XLR is still #2. As I've said, if you don't like a show in the 1st 3 episodes, you're usually done with it. I'll be fair & find & play the trailer for this, but I don't think I'll disagree with the reviews so far. You wouldn't think this since Gonzo has pumped a bunch of money into Crunchyroll, but could they be shoveling their crap to Croll & saving their best for preferred licensees like FUNimation? I'm probably wrong; just a guess. I can write an anime? Suh-WEET! Of course, my wife thinks she can write at least half of primetime TV... not counting reality. And she's usually right! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
mythus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Quote:
And besides, aren't Tomoya and Nagisa an item already? Even diehard Key fans will be asking, “What is the point of more?”

This made me chuckle, considering that, as a diehard Key fanboy, I couldn't wait to see the After Story animated.

To be quite honest, and revoking my key fan card aside for just a moment, it was truly another horrible job by Casey. Knowing half the truth; she assumed the main theme was love. That is a complete misjudgment and quite honestly far from what clannad attempts to convey in its first season AND even the first episode of the second. In the first few seconds of the episode while Tomoya dozes off, we did receive a reintroduction to what Clannad and the director wanted us to know. Family was the issue. While Tomoya and his father have never met a compromise, we begin to see the gap in his heart grow by his nostalgic memories. Then we are met with a fairly light hearted baseball episode. Yes, a baseball episode and by no means a filler. This episode sets up for a route and still notably reintroduces the viewers to the character array build up by kyoani/key and the main theme as well.

The problem with Casey's review is that she seems awfully jaded by the genre. Did it not do it for you? A character, Tomoya, being able to overcome his weakness. Winning the game was a simple fact, but the ability to swing that bat whether he hit the ball or not was far more important. This is something that you would notice in the first season... if you watched it. I believe Clannad does a great job to build characters, which is what plagues many other anime. Although the episode might be tame to what we will come to expect, it does its job.

I give it a 3.5 out of 5 if you truly want an honest review. We will come to see those 5 out of 5 as soon as we progress into the season.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I think Casey's review is fine for most people. No one would want to jump in at season 2 if they didn't like season 1, and the episode was probably only worth 2/5. It was not a good episode.

The only thing I disagreed with was the line about Key fans not wanting to see the rest of the game animated. That seems kind of obvious.

Quote:
I would have figured a bunch of diehard Key fanboys would go nuts for After Story and not just because of Tomoya's and Nagisa's newfound relationship. Heck, there's an overlining theme in Clannad that goes far beyond just some guy getting the girl. In any case, that statement threw me off a loop.

This seems like an attempted slight at me for my taste. If that's not what it is, feel free to clarify, but it's almost like you're trying to imply that there's something wrong with someone for liking Key or their works. Of course, you don't know anything about me, so I'll assume you weren't trying to imply that.

Last edited by Leebo on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Casshern: ... what's with this everyone wanting to know "what's going on" already in the first episode?

I'd just come to this thread to make exactly the same point, but you beat me to it. At this stage, we apparently know about as much as the protagonist, which means we can share in his dissociation.

[Edit]Oh yes, talking about robots - Clannad. Not a good start for me, a baseball episode. For those living in the US, imagine that it had started with a cricket episode. Still, I hope for better things to come.

Last edited by angel_lover on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
I can't believe how so many people are bashing Casey's review by saying "She didn't see the first season" without even bothering to prove that. Maybe she didn't like the first season? Maybe there are people out there who don't like Clannad? Live with it, guys, and don't accuse people of things you can't prove.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
To be honest, I think Casey's review is fine for most people. No one would want to jump in at season 2 if they didn't like season 1

Only if you simply assume that the second season will be about the same topics as the first. Which isn't the case - then for sure there wouldn't be any need for more. The whole family problem of Tomoya is still unresolved, and now we already have incredibly shy Nagisa trying to get Tomoya and his dad back together again. Same for the incertitude about their future, even Sunohara is going to get serious about that in the second episode ... so even if the start is a bit slow and the comedy is mostly really poor, the first episode already had some foreshadowing of things to come.

I think anybody that didn't like Clannad should watch at least the Clannad OVA and the movie. And I'd love to hear Casey's opinion about those xD Because I agree that Clannad was weak, but the OVA was really good imho.

But in general I agree that a reviewer shouldn't use too insulting vocabulary, it just makes the review look flat and less intelligent than it actually is.
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
Seems like an interesting autumn in the anime industry so far. I actually already took a peek at one of those that interest me the most, Casshern Sins, which also got a nice review. Casshern's animation was everything and even more than promised - it was fantastic! Although the first episode was quite vague in the plot department, I thought it was enough to catch your attention.

ikky wrote:
Also, Tohru Furuya is legendary.

Goes without saying. His acting was, once again, beautiful, and I loved the fact that Casshern is almost the spitting image of Pegasus Seiya, one of Furuya's most beloved interpretations. Anime smile

pparker wrote:
And OMG is Ringo the absolute most adorable character you've seen? Amazing voice acting, and her character design and animation just kills.

Seriously second that. Ringo is one of the loveliest child characters I've ever met in an anime - or any media at that. And the honey-voiced Minaguchi Yuuko is definitely to be thanked for that; her performance was just incredible.

And Utsumi Kenji continues in the role of Braiking Boss even after nearly 30 years. Is that cute or what?

So, even if you aren't really lit by the post-apocalyptic, we're-all-going-to-die atmosphere and the pretty pretty animation, Ringo's character is sure to make you watch the second episode as well. At least I'm going to give it a serious go.

I'm really looking forward to Tytania. I hope Tanaka Yoshiki won't let us down this time either.
uguuayu0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Carlo's review for CLANNAD angers me.
He talks about it like its a piece of crap, saying it has MIDI music. Now, I realize that i sound like an out of control fanboy but CLANNAD is far from the dogpile he reviews it as. I do also realize that it is an opinionated review, but please, at least watch the first season and listen to the music and pay attention to the stroy (if you haven't already) before saying the stuff you say. The music is far from MIDI. ergh, yeah, thats pretty much my rant.
uguuayu0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
adding to my previous post, I say that all the CLANNAD reviewers go back, watch the first season, and try not to baww
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Maybe with age I've just gotten somewhat crusty, but personally anime seems to be growing somewhat derivative in scope. Of course anime has always been a teen-aimed entertainment pursuit, and in terms of personal bias I'm going on a decade+ past the high-end 'target age' of most anime. Also I'm much more partial to an earlier time-period in terms of style, so fairly my perspective is colored. That said, as I look over various previews/new fansubs, anime looks to be settling into a much more narrow 'scope' than some years back. The material, for lack of a better word, feels very consciously adolescent/Junior High-ish. Perhaps I'm just not coming across a full picture of what's going on in anime, but the field feels like it's currently at a low-water mark if your outside that 13-17/18 'drama-ish' interest zone. I should also note that there's nothing inherently wrong with that either, that demo is the huge bulk of the anime audience, but it's just a case of anime appearing much more limited, to me, than it has in the past.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 22