• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School Days (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
School Days (TV)

Don't think anyone started a thread about this yet so I'll just type away~!

The anime is adapted from the game which is produced by TNK. After watching the debut of episode 1, I have to say it's already interesting.

spoiler[The show starts off with the main character, Makoto Ito, giving us a monologue on what he knows about the girl he like, Kotonoha Katsura, that rides the same train to school. It show that he only watches her from afar and hasn't communicated face to face with her yet. Then there was a moment he secretly took a picture of her on his cell phone.

Anyways then it goes to the classroom were he's looking at the picture thinking that if some where to see it people would think he had a crush on her. And of course someone does see him looking at the picture. That person is Sekai Saionji, with her acute observation skills she figures that Ito has a crush on Katsura. She sees Ito's dismay and decides to help him to get closer with Katsura while hiding her true feelings for him.

She informs Ito some information such as that Katsura has a special person in mind. Sekai first invites Katsura to have lunch with her and Ito to start things off. Then one day Ito had the courage to finally ask Katsura on a date and Katsura accepts. Katsura tells the news to Sekai. It turns out that Katsura's special person in mind is actualy Ito and she knew that he was watching her on the train. Also she thought that Ito was dating Sekai

Around the end Saionji meets with Ito before he's off on his date. Then Ito pops the question. No not that question Smile He asks her why she helped him. She simply replies that it was interesting to see people's love affair, that it's about the romance. Ito says that he feel he owes Sekai a lot. Sekai feels the same way and says that the debt is great but just jokes around. Sekai's train announces it's arrival and then all of a sudden she locks her lips in Ito's. Then she gets on her train and departs.]

The animation is pleasing but I feel that they had focused too much work on the background instead of on the characters. Most of the time the characters are just standing or sitting around. When I watched the show I really felt that it was like a game and not a show. Overall what intrigues me is the story and the romance that revolves around the characters. I will probably continue watching the series regularly as each episode is produced. I have read some of the story lines in the game and hope that the ending will be good as I hope it to be.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
LOTS of people are banking on one of those 3 bloody "bad" endings that's been floating around the net for some time. Nonetheless, the original game players have mentioned that spoiler[the main male lead Makoto will be by far the biggest bastard and sleeze ball ever made.]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't even watch past the first minute of this show, due to everyone besides the main characters being animated as statue-like dark nobodies. This is probably THE biggest pet peeve I have related to anime, it gives me the empty feeling that the only living humans in existence are the main characters, and that's really unfitting of a supposedly lively school life anime. If appropriately placed it's fine (ex. Lucky Star, where it doesn't really matter anyhow), but it wasn't and it kills the whole thing. I normally don't even notice laziness in animation (especially in fights), but I just can't manage to overlook this particular one.

Maybe bad sentiments carried over from Zombie Loan, since had just finished the first episode of that and they did the exact same thing, but it'd be nice to know that other people exist in the story's universe besides just the main characters.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Too bad because near the last minute of the show during that scene of Makoto looking at the bulletin board, a couple more characters were highlighted in the background. Of course I don't know if that's enough for you. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that opening scene the cahracters were dark statues because they weren't intorduced yet. Later on at the end of the episode you see another 6-7 characters who're no longer dark statues.
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
LOTS of people are banking on one of those 3 bloody "bad" endings that's been floating around the net for some time.

I was actually hoping that it would be an episodic dark comedy, where every episode ended with a "bad" ending. Then all the characters are back to normal in the next episode. It'd be like Galaxy Angel, only with fountains of blood.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Mercury Crusader wrote:

I was actually hoping that it would be an episodic dark comedy, where every episode ended with a "bad" ending. Then all the characters are back to normal in the next episode. It'd be like Galaxy Angel, only with fountains of blood.

Kind of like Higurashi?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Now unless this turns out to be something completely surprising (murder mystery?) then I am seeing only a cliche ridden semi-harem romance.

spoiler[While the obvious point was when Itou looked at the girl on the train, that was easy enough for everyone to spot as the love interest. The moment Saionji (?) sat next to him in class and ended her first sentence I knew immediately that she liked him, after she proffered her help in the relationship I knew the entire way the future (did not expect it to only last the episode but was pleased it did) would pan out (I was completely correct, even down to her kissing him and fleeing the scene after).]

A further peeve is the utter absurdity of the genders. The final scene with the crowd, I counted about 7 or 8 girls and only two guys. I know the source is a 'special game' but I have seen this so many times in so many different series, one or two guys (the second almost always a token appearance anyway) and a massive amount of girls, to the point where they cannot realistically all develop as anything more than side characters as eye candy (tokimeki memorial only love is a prime example of this).

Does anyone know of any series in which they try to portray the romance of the entire class or group of friends? for example three or four guys and their crushes/girlfriends and the friends of the girls, etc. The whole mish-mash of real relationships?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Does anyone know of any series in which they try to portray the romance of the entire class or group of friends? for example three or four guys and their crushes/girlfriends and the friends of the girls, etc. The whole mish-mash of real relationships?

Depending on the age range you're willing to deal with, Kodocha (with preTeens) and Kare Kano (with High School) do this. I think Marmalade Boy does it too, but I never really watched most of that. To really get the story for Kare Kano, you need to read the manga though. Since the anime stops about in the middle.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Although it had quite a few generic and predictable parts, I liked the first episode. And hearing all this talk about the bloody endings (I'm not familar with the game at all) has me even more interested in the series. I think I'll keep with it for now and see how things go... hopefully it will be another good one to watch this Summer.

frentymon wrote:
Maybe bad sentiments carried over from Zombie Loan, since had just finished the first episode of that and they did the exact same thing, but it'd be nice to know that other people exist in the story's universe besides just the main characters.

I watched the first episode of Zombie-Loan right before watching School Days and those stupid dark statues really bothered me. Instead of putting the entire focus on the main characters (which I'm guessing is what they were supposed to do), they only made me notice how awkward and half-assed it looks. They also ruin the feel of the more realistic setting and make the main characters appear unnatural and out of place. It didn't bother me enough to stop watching... but I really didn't like the feel of it all-- hopefully with more characters being introduced, it will be a little better.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I'm guessing that opening scene the cahracters were dark statues because they weren't intorduced yet. Later on at the end of the episode you see another 6-7 characters who're no longer dark statues.

I didn't even recognize most of the characters that were lit up. I guess they appeared at some point, but I didn't remember them.

In any case, Sekai is an amusing character, so I'll continue to watch for her. And I'll hope we get a "Bad End." If the main character ends up being spoiler[the big bastard people are saying, then my idea of a good ending will be Sekai murdering people, particularly Makoto. I guess if she ends up offing Kotonoha as well, that's fine too.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

School Rumble maybe? Mish-mash seems an appropriate descriptor for the spider-web of relationships in that series.

Back on main topic. You know, using a spoiler tag for the entire first episode of a series one is trying to introduce other people to seems counter-intuitive to me. Can anyone give me a general description and/or pros vs. cons so I can figure if I'm interested enough to find time to watch this?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
It has attractive artwork, not too much fanservice (beyond of course sitting camera angles to sit across breasts, and a large female cast). It seems like it will move ahead at a decent pace and not get bogged down in over the top angst (nothing wrong with it but when it is done poorly or just to draw out the series it is an absolute killer).

Basically it looks like a pretty basic harem/high school romance story, but some of the comment from people who know the game make it seem slightly more interesting, so I will stick around for another episode or two to see how it pans out.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

School Rumble maybe? Mish-mash seems an appropriate descriptor for the spider-web of relationships in that series.

Back on main topic. You know, using a spoiler tag for the entire first episode of a series one is trying to introduce other people to seems counter-intuitive to me. Can anyone give me a general description and/or pros vs. cons so I can figure if I'm interested enough to find time to watch this?

So far, its a fairly typical high school romance show with some nice character designs and an interesting character or two. The big draw it that the games were known for their very bloody and graphic bad endings.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
If that's the case then I'm much more willing to give the show another chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21