• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai has ended.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:00 am Reply with quote
So what do you guys think of the entire series? Was it a decent effort Gainax put into, or was it completely mediocre? In my opinion it's a pretty decent series for you guys to check out. I felt strongly to the fact that the ending was definetely rushed; maybe GAINAX should have created one more episode. spoiler[Also the last episode was indefinetely anticlimatic; I REALLY expected some sort of apocalptic battle between Akari and Ioneous. I guess that the departure of Akari and Hikari fits in since Ryou and Takeru was able to face their realizations and able to go forward in life. ]
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
that series pissed me off. huge disapointment. it was gainax getting caught up in their egos. its all cliches with no substance. i cant even begin to describe how rushed it was for the last couple of episodes. the plot is shody and has terrible pacing. poor character development as well. it wouldnt suprise me if they decided to extend this one like they did with Mahoromatic (though i dont really know where the plot can go). it wasnt totally bad, and could be interesting at times, but overall it was Gainax getting really lazy and deciding to use recycled ideas with a LOT of fanservice
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:29 am Reply with quote
Heh, I only watched the first episode, and now I'm glad I didn't feel intrested enough to contine to waste my time on it now. I may rent it in the future if I ever see it avaible like that to me.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
I still haven't caught the last few episodes of it... I thought it was going somewhere until the 4th episode came around. For those who watched it because of the summer preview, all I can offer are my apologies. Smile

Honestly though, maybe Gainax will give us something really solid again someday. If they can get of their ego/metaphysical/psychological slants, they can just create something that's decent and then come back with a fresh perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
that series pissed me off. huge disapointment. it was gainax getting caught up in their egos. its all cliches with no substance. i can't even begin to describe how rushed it was for the last couple of episodes. the plot is shody and has terrible pacing. poor character development as well. it wouldnt suprise me if they decided to extend this one like they did with Mahoromatic (though i don't really know where the plot can go). it wasnt totally bad, and could be interesting at times, but overall it was Gainax getting really lazy and deciding to use recycled ideas with a LOT of fanservice

Well, the only episode I thought that has lots of fanservice is episode 6, the infamous "suddenly appeared" hot spring episode. Episode 7 was a beach episode, but surprisingly, not much fanservice (heck NONE, and I mean NONE of the girls' bathing suits fell off). The plot definetely moved forward at that episode. Maybe you can start from there. Rolling Eyes
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
They say as much: it's a short story. With the exception of Eva, Gainax isn't big on dragging their titles out; there is only as much as they feel needs to be said, and no more. There is a setup, there is a "point" or moral, and there is illustration leading up to the moral. Think of it as a short story or a play.

And within that framework, I think KonoMini was excellent. As is usual with Gainax, there were a few absolutely memorable images (Takeru's first transformation, Hikari destroying the school, Akari licking cake off her face, the red butterflies), but more importantly, there was just a very good look at the development of a character (Takeru) from nonchalant carelessness and fairly standard adolescent angst to a realization that life is only what he makes of it, regardless of what goes on in the rest of the world, or in the lives of other people...

Of course, there is plenty here to criticise: mostly, the fact that Gainax can afford to be sloppy...and is. That is, at the end of the twelve episodes, there are a dozen plot points left unaddressed, and a dozen images that are brought up, and promptly completely forgotten. There's almost a sense that this could have used some tighter editing and would have worked better as a six-episode OVA, or even *as* a short story or novella....But just by demonstrating that they are doing not what we would *like* them to do, but rather, what they *want* to do and feel should be done, Gainax gets my respect...

In any case, as soon as this is licensed, I'm picking up the DVD's, and good money says this will be a show I'll come back to rewatch - *especially* certain episodes - time and time again...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jkid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I only heard of the series a while back, what was the storyline about?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1