• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(OT) Akira Kurasawa

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:52 am Reply with quote
As you might guess, this thread is to talk about the late great Japanese auteur. I was wondering if anyone here was a fan. If so, what do you think would be his best movies? I'm asking this as someone who is new to his films; I just finished watching Madadayo, which left me thinking "so, what was the point." I am hoping that his other movies turn out to be better; I want to find out why the critics are so enamored with his work.

Oh, and in case Cookie or someone finds this post, why don't we compare his movies to anime so we can claim to be on topic. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:35 am Reply with quote
Apparently, Saiyan'z Rage linked a petition demanding to know
from FOX what's happening with DBZ. Well I have a feeling after Fantastic Four, it'll be next, now that Brian Singer got the axe.

Edit: Sorry. Wrong thread. I meant to post this in "No Live Action DBZ".
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:43 am Reply with quote
I love Kurosawa. His epic Seven Samuri is a great place to start, dealing with Samuri and their relationships with eachother as well as their love-hate relationship with the peasantry. There's a famous, spectacular battle in the rain near the end

Ran is also great - it's based on King Lear with great imagery. If you like it, Throne of Blood - based on Macbeth - is also good. Both might be the greatest film versions of the stories even though the characters are changed and you won't hear one word of Shakespeare.

Then there's Rashomon, a period piece in which we try to find out the truth about a rape that may not have been a rape and a murder that may not have been a murder through the accounts of a woman, her accused attacker, a witness who saw part of what happened, and the spirit of the woman's husband who is accessed through a medium. Great stuff - and at the very least you'll know what critics mean when they refer to a story as "Rashomon-like".

I would point anyone interested in Kurosawa to these three movies first.
hakootoko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:23 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
I love Kurosawa. His epic Seven Samuri is a great place to start, dealing with Samuri and their relationships with eachother as well as their love-hate relationship with the peasantry. There's a famous, spectacular battle in the rain near the end

Ran is also great - it's based on King Lear with great imagery. If you like it, Throne of Blood - based on Macbeth - is also good. Both might be the greatest film versions of the stories even though the characters are changed and you won't hear one word of Shakespeare.

Then there's Rashomon, a period piece in which we try to find out the truth about a rape that may not have been a rape and a murder that may not have been a murder through the accounts of a woman, her accused attacker, a witness who saw part of what happened, and the spirit of the woman's husband who is accessed through a medium. Great stuff - and at the very least you'll know what critics mean when they refer to a story as "Rashomon-like".

I would point anyone interested in Kurosawa to these three movies first.

Or rather, "In a Grove"-like Anime smile

Rashomon is based on two stories by Akutagawa Ryuunosuke, "Rashomon" being about the gate where the characters meet and tell their tales, and "In a Grove" about the ambiguous murder where everyone claims to be guilty. Several of Akutagawa's short stories collections have been translated into English.

I'm disappointed at how few of Kurosawa's non-samurai movies we get in the US. We've gotten Ikiru and Stray Dog recently, but that's only a small sample of what there is to see. I recently broke down and bought the Mei Ah release of The Bad Sleep Weel, since I don't know when, if ever, it'll get a US release.

hakootoko
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone here was a fan. If so, what do you think would be his best movies?

Well if you havn't watched Seven Samurai yet I suggest you watch that,its the ovbious choice but from the movies I have wathced of his I would rate it as his best as would many others.
You might also want to watch Yojimbo which A Fistful of Dollars was based on. Hidden Fotress is good as well although it is a bit slow at times.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm disappointed at how few of Kurosawa's non-samurai movies we get in the US. We've gotten Ikiru and Stray Dog recently, but that's only a small sample of what there is to see. I recently broke down and bought the Mei Ah release of The Bad Sleep Weel, since I don't know when, if ever, it'll get a US release.

Dreams is out from Warner
Madadayo is out from Winstar

Criterion I know is working on some of his non-Samurai like Do Des Ka Den and the one he made in Russian
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:

Dreams is out from Warner
Madadayo is out from Winstar

Criterion I know is working on some of his non-Samurai like Do Des Ka Den and the one he made in Russian

There are a bunch more.

Dodes'ka-Den (1971)(His first movie he did in color.)

Red Beard (1968)(I haven't seen this one.)

Ikiru (1956)(As mentioned already.)

I'm sure there are more. And I know there are some that where out on VHS at one point. You might be able to find them somewhere.

This also might help:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000041/forsale#dvd
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
High and Low made it over here. Don't know who released it, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I've seen most of his films (one day I will have to buy the R1 DVDs that have been released over here). My favorite is of course The Seven Samurai, but there all great; Rashomon, The Throne of Blood, Hidden Fortress are my favorites. Oh, and how could I not include Kagemusha Laughing
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, I think I will rent one of the movies you suggested next time I'm at the video store.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
I love Kurosawa. His epic Seven Samuri is a great place to start, dealing with Samuri and their relationships with eachother as well as their love-hate relationship with the peasantry. There's a famous, spectacular battle in the rain near the end.

Agreed. Personally, Seven Samurai's hands-down one of my all-time favourite movies.

Kelly wrote:
Throne of Blood - based on Macbeth - is also good. Both might be the greatest film versions of the stories even though the characters are changed and you won't hear one word of Shakespeare.

Also agreed. This is just about the only film version of MacBeth I've seen that didn't feel forced or dull.

I'd also like to strongly suggest Yojimbo. It's the film that first got me into Kurosawa, and it's a beautiful display of what Japan's greatest director and greatest actor (Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune respectively) can accomplish together (Seven Samurai does this too, but Yojimbo places Mifune more directly in the starring role). Just about on par with Seven Samurai, in my book.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Alucard055

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
well, i only seen Seven Samurai (by Akira Kurasawa) but thats one of my favorit movies of all time. (it should be digitaly remasted.)
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I like Yojimbo, and its a great movie, but I feel it can't compare to his other works (probobly because it is an action comedy). Still worth seeing though.
Ran is another great Shakespear adaptation (King Lear this time). It seems for every film of his that was inspired by another work, he has one that has inspired an american film (Fistfull of Dollars, The Mag. Seven, Star Wars).
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Heopfully somebody here has seen the John Belushi samurai on SNL. He did a perfect spoof of Mifune. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. You could probably find it with a P2P program. I recommend it to anyone who has seen Yojimbo.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Those are some of SNL's greatest moments
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2