• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime that's good/great but you may never watch again.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gundam83

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
For example one of my favorite anime is Grave of
the Fireflies, but its just too depressing for me to
watch over again.
So what about you?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't even think of a reason why I wouldn't watch an anime that I thought was good/great again.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Now and Then, Here and There. I may watch it again, but not anytime soon.

Same with Infinite Ryvius. That got so bleak that if the last episode wasn't an enormous cool-down, I have no idea what I might have done after seeing it. Pretty intense stuff.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Not counting the series where the predictions about finale was the whole fun?
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I can't even think of a reason why I wouldn't watch an anime that I thought was good/great again.

To not spoil memories?
I rarely re-watch anime, but I have a special grudge against watching my childhood classics. Around the World with Willy Fog bear the trial, so did most of World Mastepiece Theater, but lost of long-running series that defined my childhood are now painful to watch.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

That is the way that I feel about it.
If I plan to not watch it again that means that I did not think that it was good. If I do think that it was good then I definitely do want to watch it again.
One of the things that qualifies a show as being "good" for me is that I do want to watch it again.

EireformContinent wrote:
To not spoil memories?
I rarely re-watch anime, but I have a special grudge against watching my childhood classics.

That is a valid point and it has happened to me, but how do you know that you are going to spoil the memories unless you do try to watch it again?
If you decide not to watch it because you do not want to risk spoiling the memories then I can understand that. That may be a subconscious reason why I have never gotten around to rewatching some of my older favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not counting the series where the predictions about finale was the whole fun?

Well I am more of a journey kind of guy. The first time watching a mystery, heavy anime it's about finding out who done it. Every watch after seeing the ending is more about appreciating how the mystery was layered and reliving an enjoyable story for me.

Quote:
To not spoil memories?

I can remember the kiddie shows I watched and do regard most of them as cheesy in hindsight but I still have my memories of enjoyment unspoiled.

But I do get that there are people that live in the moment and never want to do the same thing twice.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I thought Baccano was great, but I'll probably never watch it again because I'm pretty squeamish. It took a fair amount of willpower to get through.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't tend to revisit straight-up action show very often.

I enjoyed Death Note well enough but I never plan on buying it or watching it again.
These are some others or the type I probably won't watch unless it's with someone else who hasn't seen them before....
Gurren Lagann, Xamed, Godannar, Full Metal Alchemist, Star Driver.
Some others that are on the fence like that- I may or not watch- I don't own them though....
Eureka Seven, Baccano, Trigun.
Those are the type of shows I'll watch if a sequel comes around and I think I want a refresher, Last Exile is like that, I'm planning to rewatch that (it's on Hulu) before I get around to watching the new series.

It's just that action shows serve such a transitory pleasure for me, I don't get much out of watching something like that again- I know how it ends- the best thing about an action show is not knowing what happens next.

Maybe if there's good comedy and/or a real depth of emotion in the show I'll revisit an action show, but I have to feel that it may deliver something I didn't catch the first time around..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
To start: I watch whole series when I have to from some reasons. I like to go back to particular parts, but I rarely have time for re-watching when new things are overflowing. As a proud eldest sister I had a pleasure to deal with my childhood classics as home provider of entertainment for Little Monsters, so I had to face all my childhood best of.

Touma wrote:

EireformContinent wrote:
To not spoil memories?
I rarely re-watch anime, but I have a special grudge against watching my childhood classics.

That is a valid point and it has happened to me, but how do you know that you are going to spoil the memories unless you do try to watch it again?

Because that happened so many times that I won't take that risk again. I've messed horribly with my Dragon Ball Z memories. I still remember the trill it gave me, but I won't feel it any more, because all naive enthusiasm of child was replaced by critical analysis of young adult. I have younger siblings, so I had too many occasions, when I gave them my old series and watched as my memories are fading away (but they were usually enthusiastic:))

BTW it seems that Disney is completely immune to that (not that I liked all productions, but I've never changed my verdict about them) and children classical books are usually better when I read them second time (my parents say that I should repay my bedtime stories debt:P so I had too much occasions for comparing opinions)
Sebow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
For me, first and foremost, I'm unlikely to watch a series again if it isn't offered in high-definition, I've simply gotten too accustomed to HD to turn my back on it now, I do make exceptions.

On a more specific note, two anime I'm unlikely to watch again are Excel Saga and Angelic Layer, I enjoyed both back in their respective day, but I've simply outgrown them.

Two other anime I'll definitely never watch again are Naruto and Bleach, I started watching it way back when they first began and would snap every new episode as soon as they aired, however the thing with series that become this long-running is that quality control, creativity and main objective with the series goes to straight hell.

Other than that, I'm quite likely to revisit anime I've seen before.
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
I've messed horribly with my Dragon Ball Z memories. I still remember the trill it gave me, but I won't feel it any more, because all naive enthusiasm of child was replaced by critical analysis of young adult.

I understand completely. I tried rewatching Tenchi Muyo a year or so ago because of all my fond childhood memories of it, but I only lasted two episodes before I got fed up with the whole thing.

I'm also not inclined to rewatch really long series. I absolutely loved Bleach a great deal when I first saw it, but now that I'm more genre savvy (or just jaded, who knows) the thought of watching anything other than a few of my favorite episodes here and there is way too much.

Series with really weak endings are also not that appealing anymore. There's just something about a bad ending that can poison everything that precedes it. Pandora Hearts, for example, is probably one of my favorite manga of all time, and I enjoyed the anime a lot.........until that horrible, rushed, completely nonsensical ending. Now I just can't bring myself to watch the anime again because I just start thinking about how awful that ending was.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Naruto and One Piece.

Just look at how many episodes it takes until it gets to the good part!!! Hundreds!
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I definitely concur that I'll probably not be watching Grave of the Fireflies again. It's a brilliant and important film but it's just painful to watch.

There are plenty of other shows that I enjoyed, but I can't really see myself sitting all the way through a second time. Noir is probably the perfect example. It's a great show, but once you know how the plot plays out, its pacing would make it very hard for me to watch the whole thing start to finish. Chrno Crusade is another good example. I liked the show, it's technically well-done, and I can appreciate the liberties taken with its ending, but I'm not all that interested in seeing the whole story again from start to finish.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I've rewatched almost every series I've owned, even stuff I wasn't crazy about, but I have to say I'm just not interested in rewatching Cowboy Bebop. I liked it and it's certainly well-done, but aside from rewatching an episode or two again (Mushroom Samba), I just can't see myself watching that series again.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
For me its probably Lucky Star, I mean I loved it in Middle School but after reading the Manga ( which is no where near as a good as the anime) but I've grown up a little and I'm not seeing what the big deal is with it anymore, I don't find it that funny and the jokes that I used to laugh out loud at aren't as funny to me anymore. I'd rather watch Nichijou, Azumanga Daioh, School Rumble or Potemayo if I want to watch a school life comedy. Also I might nerver watch Ninja Nonscence again, its just a little to perverted for me. But I might watch it when I'm super bored but thats only because Onsokumaru is hilarious. And maybe Bunny Drop, I love it but its basically just an animated version of the first 4 manga's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2