• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Capcom Releases Street Fight X Tekken and Asura's Wrath in U.K.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised GAME and Gamestation are still going - after not getting in The Last Story, Mario Party 9, Mass Effect 3 and now Street Fighter x Tekken and Asura's Wrath, I'll be surprised if they are around for the end of the month.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah Game and Gamesation which are the same company afaik are dying right now due to online sales and digital distribution taking massive chunks of their business away.
Takuku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I've just happened to read a DS article which had stated Game has two weeks left to save itself.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
There's a place for games retail like there is for book and record shops, its just that online distribution has changed things. The problems they're facing are with suppliers, not that no one buys. If no one bought hard copies from brick and mortar stores, supermarkets wouldn't be selling games and DVDs.

On the other hand our brick-and-mortar retail here is shit because of the terms set by the retailers. In Japan, where this problem doesn't exist, the game shops are far better with a greater range of games.

Here in the UK there's little point going into a games store unless you want to see shelves crowded with gunk such as Call of Duty, FIFA, chav racers and countless non-games and mini-game collections.

And if you want an arcade stick or a digital gamepad for fighters or danmaku, forget it - your going to have to import.

Last edited by faintsmile1992 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
chav racers

Best not be talking about Need For Speed cause that's about the second best arcade race title out there.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
chav racers

Best not be talking about Need For Speed cause that's about the second best arcade race title out there.

You might disagree about NFS, but I notice you don't defend our games retailers. Wink Between our high street retailers, region locking, DRM and download distribution through the likes of Steam, we're fucked.

If you like Japanese games, there's no way to get most of them except by import.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
But what games are you wanting to be brought to the UK market?
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Doujin games? 2D Fighters? CAVE games?

Most of them never get licensed.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Doujin games? 2D Fighters? CAVE games?

Most of them never get licensed.

Doujin games? you're kidding me right you do know they have a limited availability in the first place and there really aren't that many worth bringing over.

2D fighters we have plenty to be going on with and some franchisees are too well established for anything new to come along.

and if by CAVE you mean Cave interactive i would say it would be a case of too much money for too few games.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Really? I've only bought a few imported doujin games myself, but the quality of doujin games such as the Touhou Project series, Trouble Witches and Crimzon Clover is very high IMO.

And it would at least be nice to have access to hard copies of the console game without needing to import a console.

I can't think of any reason to go to a brick and mortar games shop like GAME or HMV.

And still less to talk to people who play Western games - childish and violent fantasies, which appeal to fat 30yo British losers with SAS obsessions, only because the monotonous grey and brown violence looks photorealistic (and anything else is 'for kids'). And all the stupidity of XBox Live, and its faceless threats, tantrums and insults between pathetic little 'hard men'.

Yo-ge, kuso-ge. Wink
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Really? I've only bought a few imported And still less to talk to people who play Western games - childish and violent fantasies, which appeal to fat 30yo British losers with SAS obsessions, only because the monotonous grey and brown violence looks photorealistic (and anything else is 'for kids'). And all the stupidity of XBox Live, and its faceless threats, tantrums and insults between pathetic little 'hard men'.

Yo-ge, kuso-ge. Wink

And you've just lost all credibility with that.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

With what, my accurate and shared observation of Western gamers, as shared by Jimmy Carr and others?

Face it, when gamers talk about 'mature games' they really mean realistic violence (and it has to be realistic) and childish fantasies about soldiers or gangstas (GTA). This stuff may get 15 rated but its not the indset of the mature, its the mindset of children.

Yurihellsing, why exactly do you think the current generation of consoles tried to widen their appeal especially with families and females? You must realise western gamer culture alienates people and it isn't just me noticing it.

My ex loves Japanese games, he actually designs and programs games as a hobby like ZUN but he's not going into the industry because there's no place for him - why would he want to program some identikit FPS he wouldn't touch with a bargepole? People like him should be at the cutting edge of the industry like in the old days, but there's no interest from the industry here - his games haven't "got death and killing Pakis in it" (that's how someone described to me why they love COD). And there's what pisses me off - western gamers are why the western industry is in the state it is now.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
And if you want an arcade stick or a digital gamepad for fighters or danmaku, forget it - your going to have to import.

Although I am insufficiently dexterous to care of such matters too greatly, do you mean to state that there are no suitable arcade sticks being sold within these shores?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:

Although I am insufficiently dexterous to care of such matters too greatly, do you mean to state that there are no suitable arcade sticks being sold within these shores?
I've never seen one in a brick and mortar game shop, have you? They're a speciality item over here, and fightpads are even harder to find without importing (you can't really enjoy a 2D fighter with the useless 360 pad)

There's a reason serious gamers are building their own sticks out of components and importing them from Japan. If it was possible for me to buy a custom made gamepad, I would.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

With what, my accurate and shared observation of Western gamers, as shared by Jimmy Carr and others?.

WTF why are you listening to the likes of that idiot when it comes to gaming I'm not sure where you're going with this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3