• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime would you like to see go live action?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
There have been some successes with GTO and Gokusen and H2, and some failures with Fist of the North Star, and some that have faced mixed criticism like Sailor Moon. Now, which manga or anime would you think could work as live action?

I vote Hajime no Ippo. I think it would be great live action though it would be hard to emulate Hayami's shotgun and Mashiba's flicker jabs (though Thomas Hearns had a godly reach and had speed himself). I think the story itself is realistic and "the world" that exists within it. I think it would be funny if the live action kept the original story of how really triggers Ippo into boxing which is when Takamura tells him Mike Tyson got bullied as well (which I think it was lame they ommitted this from the anime).

You get a sense of realism from the characters and I think the plot and concept is something that can be easily transparted to live action. Which were the main factors why it made GTO and Gokusen so good. With GTO and Gokusen, you can relate modern day educational and youth issues with these shows along with the original concept of the manga or anime. I think that's how you can make a live action adaption successful.

Anyway, here is my ideal cast for a live action Hajime no Ippo

Makunouchi Ippo:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.1730.htm

Kimura Tatsuya (he's played a character like Kimura before in To Heart):
http://jdorama.com/artiste.188.htm

Aoki Masaru:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.288.htm

Takamura Mamoru:
http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterID=454
*Never mind his record, it's because he's been put up against the best

Mashbia Kumi:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.1387.htm

Miyata Ichiro:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.339.htm

Date Eiji:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.231.htm

Sendo Takeshi:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.1931.htm

Saeki Takuma:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.1602.htm (see him in gokusen and in waterboys, he had the hair that made him look like him)

Hayami Ryuuichi:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.1932.htm

Kobashi Kenta:
http://jdorama.com/artiste.315.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know who I would cast for the characters, but I'd really like to see an American live-action version of Perfect Blue. I know there was a Japanese live-action version produced, but I heard it wasn't very good and it followed the book rather than the anime. I'd like to see an American live-action remake of the anime movie. With a big Hollywood budget for the special effects, I think it would be really cool to see Mima's other self come to life and start attacking her in live-action. Plus, I think this film would have been a lot more suspenseful had it been live-action instead of animated, and with America's current trend of remaking Japanese horror films with big Hollywood special effects budgets, I think a live-action version of Perfect Blue could do really well in theaters, and maybe help give the anime version more popularity.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
beezis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
i'd like to see Last Exile as an American, Hollywood, big budget film. Allstar cast and everything. Haley Joel Osment as Claus, Amanda Bynes as Tatiana and Jim Caviezel as Alex.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing blue submarine no.6 live action. AS anime it wasn't all that great...storyline was there but character development was rushed I think. So as live-action maybe it can fix the character development problem. That and I think it would make for a good submarine movie...which I personally think is lacking in the movie industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
That and I think it would make for a good submarine movie...which I personally think is lacking in the movie industry.

You don't rate Das Boot then?

Back to the topic, I don't think any anime should suffer the indignity of being made into a live-action movie. Because anime (and animation in general) gives free reign to the imaginations of the people who make it, it takes a lot of money to make an effective transition to live action. However, the very act of throwing a large amount of money at it inevitably condemns it to death-by-Hollywood. Just keep on praying that the live-action version of Eva never makes it to the screen.
Sharpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Ninja Scroll be turned into a bloody action flik. Otherwise, Noir can be made into a pretty good TV series - its got all the right ingredients - female spies, a hard to understand plot, and lots of killing.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:

However, the very act of throwing a large amount of money at it inevitably condemns it to death-by-Hollywood.

And if it did, so what? Is it going to make people return their copies of the anime because a bad LA movie was made out of it? I spent a decent chunk of money on uncut Sailor Moon after I saw SM LA. Trust me, if anything could make you dislike a series because of an LA attempt, it is the horror that is the senshi dance. It lead to 2 psychotic breaks, 4 different therapists, thousands of dollars for medicine and treatment, and several years of slow rehab to get back to a functioning individual. Oh, I forgot, I broke my leg one night when I was trying to learn the dance (don't ask), several of you may remember that ill-fated night. Still, after all that, the anime is just as good to me as it was before the horror. If they want to make something LA, then let them. It could turn out well, and if it doesn't, you're out the time you spent watching it and perhaps a bit of money, if that.

Last edited by Kazuki-san on Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Just keep on praying that the live-action version of Eva never makes it to the screen.

I'm not a praying man per se, but I think I'm going to have to cancel out your prayer just so I can see Eva on the big screen. Oh baby I think it could be such an event. Then again, it might turn out so terrible that I wished it had never been released. Oh well, I'm still going to pray against you anyway. Very Happy
ananda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
beezis wrote:
i'd like to see Last Exile as an American, Hollywood, big budget film. Allstar cast and everything. Haley Joel Osment as Claus, Amanda Bynes as Tatiana and Jim Caviezel as Alex.

Jim Caviezel....NIIIIICE !!! Very Happy

Still, I don't like any Anime Series to be turned into a live action movie (not my favorite ones at least), because I'm afraid that it would lose more of the overall "magic" then what it will actually gain from it

But I gotta agree, Jim Caviezel might just be the perfect Alex Row.

Last edited by ananda on Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexlouisarmstrong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
i want to see fullmetal alchimest come live and arnold schwarzenegger be alex louis armstrong
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd want to see a live action Excel Saga. I wonder if it would be even possible to do that. I just would like to see if it would be possible to pull something like that off.

alexlouisarmstrong: You're the third person I've seen on this forum in the last two days with that avatar. Just a coincidence?
Rumina-X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, Excel LA? That would require quite the budget. Either that or it would be incredibly cheesy.

I think it would be cool if they took some animes and released them in the theater as a giant saga with a new release every few months covering a large chunk of the story. For instance turn the first 16 episodes or so of Bleach and release them on the big screen with a big budget in a 2 1/2 hour movie leaving off where spoiler[Ichigo is defeated after fighting Abrai], then a few months later the same thing leaving off at a climactic point like where spoiler[Ichigo and Kenpachi are both lying on the ground practically dead after dueling it out and then not showing either getting up.]

I would love if some animes were made live action in this format, of course that would never happen for various reasons but it would be cool in my opinion. That's about the only way I could see big epic series like Bleach working out live action very well. If it were on TV the budget just wouldn't be big enough.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
beezis wrote:
i'd like to see Last Exile as an American, Hollywood, big budget film. Allstar cast and everything. Haley Joel Osment as Claus, Amanda Bynes as Tatiana..........

Haley Joel Osment has about as much talent as a wooden board (I was not convinced that he did nothing to make the already stupid AI: Artifical Intellegence look better, and his comments that "It will be a significant film later on" is more wishful thinking than fact) and Amnda Bynes doesn't seem to capture Tatiana, given she is more into comedic roles than serious ones.
excel7769

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a cast lined up or anything like that (A good reason why I'm not in the movie industry.) But if I were to have my wish, I think that Hollywood would do really well with, GANTZ, complete with green onions and all. Gunsliger Girl would also do well as a live action show, although I don't think the MPAA would allow little girls to carry heavy full automatic weapons. Noir would also do well with a little tweaking of the plot making it more of a thriller than an assassin pic. Martian Successor Nadescio would do really well in the Sci-Fi realm as Would BGC Tokyo 2040. The last would also do well as a movie, due to the fact it is so close to live action , Yugo (The Pakistan Arc) would be a very gritty real time movie.
beezis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Haley Joel Osment has about as much talent as a wooden board (I was not convinced that he did nothing to make the already stupid AI: Artifical Intellegence look better, and his comments that "It will be a significant film later on" is more wishful thinking than fact) and Amnda Bynes doesn't seem to capture Tatiana, given she is more into comedic roles than serious ones.

Isn't that like all teen actors... there isn't any casting done for teen dramas much though its all high school comedy. Personally i thought Osment was an awesome in The 6th Sence.... Amanada Bynes hasn't done any movies related to the dramatic or serious genre but you have to start sometime... who would have thought Jim Carey would be good in a drama role but he pulled off The Majestic and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

Last edited by beezis on Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2