• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 2.0's Canadian Run Dated for January 20

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
While there hasn't been an official announcement yet regarding locations in the States or Canada, some US theaters have already started listing the film on their webstes.

One example is my local arthouse theater, Guild Cinema. They've listed Eva 2.0 on their site for screenings on Jan 21 and 22.
Also, I don't know if other theaters will be doing this too but my theater is also re-showing Eva 1.0 on the 14th and 15th, the weekend before Eva 2.0 premiers.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
j Talbain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I went to the showing for Evangelion 1.0 in St. Catherines. There was only 15 people in the theatre. I hope I can catch this one as well hopefully it plays somewhere in Norther Ontario.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they screen it here in St. John's. I remember last year I actually won tickets to Evangelion 1.0 in St. John's when ANN had their contest. I couldn't go because at the time I didn't live in the capital and I would have had to drive over six and a half hours to see it Anime hyper.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm not getting any results for Victoria, but gonna keep my fingers crossed anyway. Our theatre only had about 20 people there, but dammit, I really want to see 2.22 in theatres.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
yay, it will be playing here.

ANN, are you going to be doing a free ticket contest again this time? i'd like to know before i pre-order my ticket (1.0 was a full house when i went to see it).
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
When I went to see Eva 1.0 in Toronto during its "official" 2 day run, I was disappointed to discover that it was a blu-ray disc being projected onto the big screen. Are 35 mm prints really becoming obsolete?

Seeing as I was disappointed in Eva 1.0 as a movie as well, I don't know if I'll go see this. I'd rather see Summer Wars get a limited Canadian run.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
It's not that 35mm prints are becoming obsolete, but I think they cost a lot more to make than a BD+projector, and since these are only playing 1 or 2 days or a week at most, I don't think using tradition movie prints would be cost effective.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's not that 35mm prints are becoming obsolete, but I think they cost a lot more to make than a BD+projector, and since these are only playing 1 or 2 days or a week at most, I don't think using tradition movie prints would be cost effective.

Yeah, that's probably the real reason. Still, maybe I'm old fashioned, but as I am paying $10 or so to watch these things, it's a bit deflating to think I'm paying that much for something when I could have just waited a few months and set up a BD copy and my projector up in the basement and watched it the same way. I know there isn't as much difference in image quality between film print and BD today, but that's just how I feel.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Hurrah! Very Happy

I'm somewhat hopeful that my city will have a screening, but I'm right beside Toronto, so even if I don't get a screening, the chance is there.

Given how it wound up being Cineplex holding the movie instead of the company who organized the Canadian screenings through Empire Theatres, I'm slightly less optimistic.

TJ_Kat wrote:

ANN, are you going to be doing a free ticket contest again this time? i'd like to know before i pre-order my ticket (1.0 was a full house when i went to see it).

Wow, that's pretty impressive, given your location. My screening barely filled the theatre at all, maybe three rows max if everybody filled the back rows.
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
It may not be the full list yet, but here're the theatres currently listed with showings on January 20 at 7pm:

SilverCity Coquitlam Cinemas
170 Schoolhouse Street
Vancouver, BC

SilverCity Riverport Cinemas
14211 Entertainment Way
Vancouver, BC

SilverCity Riverport Cinemas
14211 Entertainment Way
Edmonton, AB

Galaxy Cinemas Regina
420 McCarthy Boulevard North, Unit 26
Regina, SK

SilverCity Polo Park Cinemas
817 ST. James Street
Winnipeg, MB

Scotiabank Theatre Toronto
259 Richmond Street West
Toronto, ON

Cineplex Odeon Queensway Cinemas
1025 The Queensway
Etobicoke, ON

SilverCity Fairview Mall Cinemas
1800 Sheppard Avenue East, Unit Y007
Toronto, ON

SilverCity Richmond Hill Cinemas
8725 Yonge Street
Richmond Hill, ON

Cineplex Odeon First Markham Place Cinemas
Highway, 7 & Fairburn Drive
Markham, ON

Cinéma Banque Scotia Montréal
977 Ste-Catherine West
Montreal, QC

Empire 17 Bayers Lake
190 Chain Lake Drive
Halifax, NS

Empire 8 Trinity Drive
127 Trinity Drive
Moncton, NB
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Caught 1.0 at the Queensway. Gonna try for 2.0. I'm not going to pre-order, but getting a ticket to a 1 night showing on Firday might be tricky. My friend went with me for 1.0, he got his ticket free from the ANN contest. Lucky guy...
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
I just checked the site and it did not tell me at all if the movie would be premiering in Northern California Sad.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
That's because Northern California does not form part of Canada, which this new article and that website is about.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's because Northern California does not form part of Canada, which this new article and that website is about.

Oh, lol. I misread the news announcement, never mind.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

TJ_Kat wrote:

Wow, that's pretty impressive, given your location. My screening barely filled the theatre at all, maybe three rows max if everybody filled the back rows.

yeah, that's what i heard about most of the previous screenings; that at worst, you might need your fingers AND toes to count the people in the theater. so i was really surprised when i had a tough time finding a place to sit. and that was with two scheduled screenings, and this time there's only one...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2