• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay: Rozen Maiden's Suigintou

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
What an adorable tiny cosplayer! She's the perfect doll size.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
That's just awful.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Not at all what I expected, but what an adorable surprise. Smile
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
turned my frown upside down.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
Unlike other photographs before, this one does not have a link to Flickr or a similar picture-hosting service. Was the original picture larger? If so why not crop out the vast blank space around the cosplayer so we could get a better detail? If not then the skill of the photographer really needs some improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Full sized picture is available here http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/sailor_sexy/IMG_0483.jpg I did send this link when I submitted the photo, so can't tell ya why the smaller image was used without linking the full one.

I don't claim to be a very good photographer, and I really don't have anything for editing software other than Paint, so cutting out the extraneous stuff is a bit more trouble than it's worth to me.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I don't claim to be a very good photographer, and I really don't have anything for editing software other than Paint, so cutting out the extraneous stuff is a bit more trouble than it's worth to me.

Thanks for the original (or is it? Read my second point below). I took the liberty to crop, sharpen, and brighten it a little. Didn't apply any despeckle mask, though, as I didn't want to destroy any detail. The picture below was resized to 480 x 640 in order to fit the forum formatting:

A few suggestions:

1. Canon PowerShot A570 IS was a nice little camera; cameras today at its price range no longer provide full manual exposure controls (including flash output!) anymore. According to its EXIF you shoot the photograph with automatic settings, with shutter speed fixed at 1/60" (a common practice by most, if not all, compact cameras when the flash is fired). However, this would reduce light from the background to be received by the camera significantly. Since A570 has Canon's image stabilization (IS) mechanism installed, I recommend you use the Tv (shutter time priority) setting and set the shutter speed between 1/15" to 1/30", then decrease the flash output to 2/3 or even 1/3, depending on the distance between you and the subject. This would allow the camera to take the ambient light from background (although the background is not too interesting in this specific case) in addition to reflected light from the flash.

2. I didn't know what software you used, but A570 couldn't produce an image with the size of 2917 x 2188; you must have cropped it from the original of 3072 x 2304 then. If so, it would be much better if you could remove the guy(?) at lower right corner. Better yet, crop and make it a portrait orientation instead of landscape. The best way would be taking the picture with a portrait orientation from the start, of course.

3. There are many legal and free image editing software, such as the as-powerful-as-Photoshop GIMP, my favorite FastStone Photo Resizer, or Picasa provided by Google (my parents use it extensively). GIMP has the most features and Picasa is very easy to use; FastStone is roughly in the middle between the other two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
You can tell the camera I used just by the photo? Interesting. Anyways, as for the cropping that was done, that's because Photobucket automatically resizes things. My settings on Photobucket are "Best possible quality (while staying 1 MB or less) So, any resizing was likely done automatically. Or, if I did do any cropping when I posted it up to my account, that was back in 2009, so I certainly don't recall doing it. At any rate, the only way to get it more original would be for me to pop in my camera's card and get it off there again. But, since that's not an option right at this moment, that's what's available.

Anyways, thanks for the tips. Even though I've had the camera for many years now, I really don't claim to know a whole lot about it. I mainly got it because it helped correct the blurriness I got with my previous camera and I was happy with it being able to do that so I never really experimented with other options on it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
You can tell the camera I used just by the photo? Interesting.

You are not the first American who finds that surprising. Anime smile + sweatdrop All digital photo files recorded in JPEG format are Exchangeable image file format (Exif) compatible and contain tags of photographic information, including date, time, camera make & model, shutter speed, aperture F value, ISO (sensitivity), and even GPS coordinates if the camera has a receiver.

Sailor S wrote:
Anyways, as for the cropping that was done, that's because Photobucket automatically resizes things. My settings on Photobucket are "Best possible quality (while staying 1 MB or less) So, any resizing was likely done automatically.

Ahh, that must be the case, as Exif of your photo contains two tags:

ExifImageHeight: 2304
ExifImageWidth: 3072

Which were supposed to be the original size of the image. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Sailor S wrote:
Anyways, thanks for the tips. Even though I've had the camera for many years now, I really don't claim to know a whole lot about it. I mainly got it because it helped correct the blurriness I got with my previous camera and I was happy with it being able to do that so I never really experimented with other options on it.

My pleasure. I value the old Canon A series (3-digits after "A" and using standard AA batteries) highly, as they are cheaply priced but not cheaply built. They might not look as cool and shiny as newer models by electronics companies e.g. Sony, but they offer solid optics and full controls for more experienced and experimental users. Their optical viewfinders provide an alternative method to compose, which is stabler and more effective under bright sunlight. Too bad Canon chose to discontinue them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1