• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Letterboxed Dragon Ball Z

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
As long as they have the English sub version, everything else is irrelevant in my opinion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect that would use the Dragon Box footage, but the Season Set footage is just laughable.

But I guess this is good for some dub fans, because they get that oh so wonderful Bruce Faulconer score. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I'm more interested in watching the original DB series. I won't be getting that on DVD until a Dragon Box version is available here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jacksonh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The broadcast's aspect ratio is also expected to crop the original 3:4 screen to appear widescreen.

Don't you mean 4:3 ? Wink

I own the Dragon Boxes but I'm glad I can watch episodes with the dub w/ the U.S. music every now and then.

I like the Japanese music too, but for me some of the U.S. music is much better for certain scenes.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
As long as they have the English sub version, everything else is irrelevant in my opinion

Agreed. As long as it's in English, it's all good. Maybe there is even a chance that Funimation will use the Rock The Dragon Theme song, which would be exceptionally awesome. If not, that is cool as well as I usually skip over the theme song when I really want to watch the show.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
jacksonh wrote:
I like the Japanese music too, but for me some of the U.S. music is much better for certain scenes.

And now the Penguin is going to make the thread his warzone, explaining why he hates the U.S music with a passion... again.

Seriously though, it would make sense. Whether or not anime fans like dub with the Bruce Falconer track or not, that along with everything else with the orange season set releases is pretty discardable at this point, so why not have it streamed? At least it gives me something to go with One Piece.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
I've recently been collecting the orange sets. However, lately I hear bad things about them in comparison to the Dragon Box sets.

What is the difference with them? Why are they supposedly better?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I've recently been collecting the orange sets. However, lately I hear bad things about them in comparison to the Dragon Box sets.

What is the difference with them? Why are they supposedly better?

This is from an article I wrote a while back:

Quote:
In 2005, Funimation began releasing what they called their "Ultimate Uncut" edition of the show. This featured the new dub of the first two seasons, restoring footage that had been previously edited out, and creating a consistency with the later dubbed seasons. However, this release was cancelled soon after the ninth DVD, in favor of the nine "Season" boxsets which came onto the market in 2007. This new release would be a controversial one.

Touted as a "remastered" release, "Dragon Ball Z as it was meant to be seen", the nine sets released over the next two years (often referred to as the "orange bricks" for their appearance) featured three audio tracks. One was the Japanese track with the original Kikuchi score. Another was the English track with the Bruce Faulconer replacement score used for television broadcast. A third track had the English dub paired with the Japanese music, a new feature. Fans were unsure how to react, as fans of the Japanese version were uninterested in an inaccurate English dub, regardless of what music played, and fans of the English dub were too used to the TV broadcast music to care about the Japanese music.

Something more noticable, however, was the footage itself, and its format. Funimation themselves were the ones who "remastered" the set, adjusting the color, and removing grain, but also detail. Saturation occured, as well. In addition, the picture was blown up and cropped from its original 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 for widescreen. The result was the viewers missing parts of the picture itself. The only advantage to these sets became finally owning, unedited, all 291 episodes of Dragon Ball Z. However, the show was once again "cut".

The Dragon Boxes are 4:3 and the colors and video quality remained mostly untouched from the original footage.

However, for something that's free, the Season Set footage is just fine. In fact, I'd be upset if it was the DBox footage, because people shouldn't be able to get for free what I'm shelling out so much money to get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Oh, good. It's mostly stuff I don't care about.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
This is one of the few times I can say the dub was easily better, the Japanese version...aside from Goku having a wussy voice (WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY AGE IT?!), the music in the Japanese, or rather, the LACK of music in the Japanese version made it so boring, I saw the Majin Buu arc in both languages, there was hardly any music in the Japanese version, making all the slow paced scenes boring and lacking intensity.

Another anime I can mention I can list with a similar problem is Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, the dubbed owns the subbed version.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Goku having a wussy voice (WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY AGE IT?!)

Masako Nozawa's adult Goku voice is much different from her child Goku voice. You just don't notice because you didn't start watching with Dragon Ball.

Goku always had a younger sounding voice. When he starts out in the story, he's a 12 year old, but Nozawa has him sounding half that.

The Japanese cast is generally more talented, regardless. They have better acting chops, capable of expressing emotions better than their over-the-top, awkward sounding English counterparts. The English scripts and voices tend to miss the nuances of the characters.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They have better acting chops, capable of expressing emotions better than their over-the-top, awkward sounding English counterparts.

Or... it could also be that your biased for the Japanese language.

I mean, is it? Maybe I missed something, but I can't recall one time when you personally found the english audio track better than the Japanese one of any anime you ever talked about. Not that I'm saying you have to for the record, I was just making an observation. And if that's the case that you have this deep unique liking for the language, then hey, that's totally fine by me. I have no problem with that.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Anyway, I'm more interested in watching the original DB series. I won't be getting that on DVD until a Dragon Box version is available here.

+1
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Maybe I missed something, but I can't recall one time when you personally found the english audio track better than the Japanese one of any anime you ever talked about.

Big O, Baccano, and Black Lagoon would all like to have a word with you.

And possibly Spirited Away. For some of the roles.

Even if I had said "none" that doesn't make me a fan of the Japanese language and a hater of the English one. Generally speaking, most of the best English-language voice acting isn't in Japanese animation. It's in North American animation. Batman: The Animated Series and Avatar: The Last Airbender have better voice acting than pretty much every English anime dub to exist. They have a higher quality of acting and directing.

DBZ's dub was done back when Funimation was just starting to do things in house and their talent pool was shallow and weak. They were probably pulling nobodies off the street, letting secretaries and janitors record, they had Chris Sabat play nearly every role, resulting in most of his roles sounding the same. Scripts were haphazard and inaccurate, and filled with all sorts of already outdated "hip speak". That group of VAs couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. They used the disrespectful practice of replacement music to make their stamp on the show. Today, their DB Kai dub is excellent, but it took them a long time to get there.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Even if I had said "none" that doesn't make me a fan of the Japanese language and a hater of the English one.

Oh no, I don't mean to say you are a "hater" because you try to always examine dubs of shows you know and strongly supporting the notion that a dub has to "hold up" to the Japanese track as if you want it to be good, which I like that part about you. In your own way, you kinda wish to support a dub. At the same time you make it sound like a dub is made to deliberately compete with the Japanese track.

And regarding the idea that acting in American animated shows is better than any other dub I really don't agree with. I'm not saying the acting in American animated shows worse, nor am I saying it's better. As long as I'm convinced enough with what's going on through the acting, I'm not gonna say it's bad, or nitpick at how it will tamper with 10% of the "original intention" as if it it tainted an absolute masterpiece with permanent marker graffiti.

It's probably that I like to keep an open mind for the sack of enjoying and interpretting a show any way I watch it, but I don't like thinking in that sort of way. But at any rate, I feel like I'm digressing at this point.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Language tracks are totally unrelated. They neither can be nor should be compared to each other. This is because of how the mechanics of each of the languages work out.

If a voice over actually tries to play the part, there is no fair way to compare it to other language tracks. That means it's purely opinion to like one over the other. Saying things like "this English actor doesn't have as much emotion as this Japanese actor" does not have any real merit because English and Japanese are two totally different types of languages with two totally different mechanics in each.

Yeah, you can say what you want, but none of it is factual and none of it can be proven... not even through example. It's purely 100% an unsupportable opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2