• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Launch 'Keep Anime Alive' Pro-Industry Site

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Good we need to hear more of this and positive things that we as fans can do instead of being self-centered.
ayashe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
If they really wanted to support the anime industry they'd buy from Japan. Supporting companies like Funimation is not supporting anime. And Greg Ayres, Chris Cason? Ew. Why would I care what these people think? They mean nothing. This was already linked under press releases, I don't see why there needed to be a news post about this as well.

Quote:
Good we need to hear more of this and positive things that we as fans can do instead of being self-centered.

There's nothing positive about this, it's ridiculous and foolish.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Seriously?

You think not supporting the companies that work to bring thing over to us and pay to do it are not helping the anime industry and instead we should pay around $60 a volume for 2 episodes of content when people complain at the same price point for 13 episodes is too much of a price to pay?

The ones that have been attempting to set-up a legal streaming service and legal downloads are not helping?

Yeah right, what world are you living in ayashe? As yes buying from the license holders does help the anime industry and has made it change.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
If they really wanted to support the anime industry they'd buy from Japan. Supporting companies like Funimation is not supporting anime. And Greg Ayres, Chris Cason? Ew. Why would I care what these people think? They mean nothing. This was already linked under press releases, I don't see why there needed to be a news post about this as well.

Quote:

Wow, could you be an more pompous and elitist? Not everyone can afford to spend thousands a dollars a year on imports just to make themselves feel more important than other fans. Rolling Eyes

And Funimation doesn't support anime. Right. You're also posting blatant lies as well unless you really are that slow. The money goes back to Japan to support the industry.

Last edited by Ghidra999 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:35 am; edited 2 times in total
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks LordRedHand. i was about to post but you beat me to it. It's so-called fans like ayashe who are the problem. I for one, am glad the anime companies exist and I want them to continue.
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
I try to buy official sets when I can afford it, which sadly is only a hand full of times per year.

If I had a bigger income I would probably buy more, but with my crappy retail job most of my cash goes to bills lol.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:

Quote:

Buying from companies like Funimation is still supporting the industry. The R1 industry, which brings us these anime and manga in a language we can understand and in a format 99% of fans can actually use, is pretty vital as well. Not everyone is going to buy a R2 DVD or manga, especially when they won't even be able to enjoy it (in my personal case, I only buy Akuma to Love Song because there is no official English release and buy them to counterbalance my use of scans).

And while you may not care what Greg Ayres and Chris Cason have to say, others do. If I remember correctly, doesn't Greg Ayres have panels at conventions about fansubs and their harms on the industry? Or is it someone else? I can't remember - I just remember there was a VA that has done panels like that.

This is actually a very positive idea, and I really hope it keeps up.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:

Quote:

You are quite negative. I really don't care what Greg Ayres or Chris Cason think too, not really into voice actors, but I think you an me are in the minority on that point.

It was fans that got anime brought over here, and it will take fans to reinvigorate that anime interest again. If a bunch of fans want to organise and promote the industry, more power to them.

Whether they succeed or fail, at least they are doing something. That is good in my book.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:

Quote:

I can't wait for the day that I'll be able to smack someone across the back of their head via Ethernet.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
TakishidoKamen wrote:
I try to buy official sets when I can afford it, which sadly is only a hand full of times per year.

If I had a bigger income I would probably buy more, but with my crappy retail job most of my cash goes to bills lol.
Thats part of the problem...

Most anime (except kodomo and shounen) mainly targets people between the ages of 16 and 30ish, people who either work low end jobs or are going through college. People who don't have alot of disposable income.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
So long as no one goes into "guilt people into buying stuff" over there, I'm all for it.

I've spent thousands of dollars buying DVDs, comic books, and other merch over the years. The last thing I want to be told is that stuff's going down the toilet because fans aren't doing enough. If I want to watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I have to see it via fansub at the moment, but that doesnt' mean I wont' buy a DVD release or watch any legal streams when they become available.

If this only becomes something positive to promote legal purchases, I'm all for it. As a collector and a fan, I want to be able to keep my hobby alive and kicking as much as possible.

But I refuse to say "yay" to anything demonizing fansubs that are unavailable outside of importing outrageously expensive DVDs that I can't understand anyway.
domino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
I wish stores here would SELL anime. I live in a major US city and there's only one store I can think of in this city that even sells anime (Best Buy's anime section is so tiny I don't even bother or count it).

So to support the industry I end up having to order the DVDs online, which kinda takes the fun out of buying. Also while searching online for the DVDs, I want I often end up finding free legal streaming sites for the shows I wanted to buy, so my motivation to buy the DVD goes down dramatically since my budget is so small.

Then there are the stores I've seen in the US that are specifically anime stores. For the most part, these stores are bootleg-selling trash and I hope get shut down, as they are probably even worse for the anime industry than fansubs.

There are 3 anime stores I can think of near the city I used to live in and all of them are full of bootleg merchandise and bootleg DVDs (the kind with Chinese subtitles and 50 episodes crammed mysteriously into one cheap package). I have never seen a US anime store that looked legit and even when I WANT to buy anime merchandise I can't find legal, licensed ones (especially CDs).

The industry needs to fix this problem, too! These anime stores do something to the industry arguably worse than fansubs: they turn potential customers who have the money on hand and are ready and willing to spend it and tricks them into buying a low quality illegal product instead. I have many friends who thought they were supporting the industry by buying anime DVDs, but they were buying bootlegs from these anime stores.

Is there someone I can report stores like this to? Every time I find one I get furious.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'm not really pro-fansub, because it gives people an excuse not to buy stuff, but I am okay if it's something that will never be brought over here. But if it's your favorite anime you should buy it if it's legally available. I am buying a lot of stuff and I'm actually debating what to get with all my Christmas money, but the excuse that it's too expensive doesn't really cut it anymore, I wouldn't care if someone got it used, which can be inexpensive too even though it doesn't directly go to the industry, someone still paid for the legal copy.

And used can be pretty cheap unless it's out of print so no one really has an excuse if you think about it. I'm not saying "Buy everything that exists in anime!" I'm saying, "Buy the ones you really enjoyed that meant something to you."

I'm probably going to stop buying anime after this year, because there's only a few series I want to collect and then I'm going to start buying more manga. Even if you only buy a little bit, it still helps.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
So long as no one goes into "guilt people into buying stuff" over there, I'm all for it.

I've spent thousands of dollars buying DVDs, comic books, and other merch over the years. The last thing I want to be told is that stuff's going down the toilet because fans aren't doing enough. If I want to watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I have to see it via fansub at the moment, but that doesnt' mean I wont' buy a DVD release or watch any legal streams when they become available.

If this only becomes something positive to promote legal purchases, I'm all for it. As a collector and a fan, I want to be able to keep my hobby alive and kicking as much as possible.

But I refuse to say "yay" to anything demonizing fansubs that are unavailable outside of importing outrageously expensive DVDs that I can't understand anyway.

I completely and utterly agree with you, especially with the part I put in bold.

I can't say that I'm fond of Grey Ayres. To him, people like me who would watch fansubs yet still buy series that are released in R1 format are still evil. I also don't approve of him trying to guilt trip the fans into buying crap. That gets my panties in a bunch considering the amount of money I have dropped on DVD's, manga, posters, plushies, CD's, etc etc for over a decade. I even went as far as to buying the Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva movie from the UK even though I can't really watch it without an all region, PAL supporting, DVD player. But that is how much I wanted to own it as I'm a huge Layton fan. Yet there are tons and tons of titles that will never see the light of an English release and that is when I would watch fansubs. Bring over Yami to Boushi to Canada/USA and I'll gladly buy it.

On the other hand, I do get disgusted at people who only download and brag about getting it for "free". For that reason only is what would make me support this new site. However, I don't feel like I should be guilt tripped into supporting the industry when I have been for 15 years. If they pull a guilt trip on me then I won't have anything to do with them.

Edit: Forgot to add. ayashe.....good lord, how ignorant can you get? You talk as though companies such as Funimation are getting anime titles for free. You, sir, are dead wrong. By buying series to R1 release they are paying the anime company for those shows. And that, right there, is supporting the industry.

Last edited by Rukiia on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:

Quote:

You sir, is what is known as an idiot.
Buying the Japanese release does noting, NOTHING. Period. This is because the small number of fans who would do so is tiny AND theres no way for the Japanese side of things to know which purchasers are in Japan and which are from abroad.
On the other hand, strong sales abroad through a channel (Funimation) that no doubt provides sales figures and reports to the Japanese companies it licenses the anime from can be a great influence on the Japanese company/creator. Strong foreign sales gets their attention.
Take it from someone who works at a Japanese game/anime company. You my friend do not know what you are talking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11