• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds Golgo 13 Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Have always wanted to get this. I think I have VHS copy of this somewhere. Would be happy to have a much better copy and both dub and sub for this great classic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crazychild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Was the film originally animated or screened in 16:9? I've read that it was still common for theaters in Japan at the time to screen films in 4:3. Comparing screencaps of the Blu-ray release of Galaxy Express 999 to my VHS copy, the Blu-ray has cropped off some of the top and bottom of the screen, but there seemed to be more on the left and right sides of the screen.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm much of a Golgo fan, saw this back when Urban Vision released it. I was hoping we would get a release date for the DVD's of Project A-Ko and Galaxy Express honestly.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
YES!!!!!
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to Gogo 13 in dvd and I also agree to Project A-KO and Galaxy Express 999 release be considered also. Very Happy
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
I will get this regardless, but am hoping it gets a Blu-Ray release.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
I will get this regardless, but am hoping it gets a Blu-Ray release.

The anime has aged too much to look any better on Blue ray.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
The anime has aged too much to look any better on Blue ray.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I can confirm that the Streamline VHS was pan-scan, not open matte, so it was shot and intended to be seen on a 1.85:1 screen.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that movie is now under ownership of an active company. I'll buy it even though I previously got the movie on DVD for $1 off of Amazon about 3 years ago.

I'm curious if this release will include any new bonus material or include that one interview with the producer of the film Mata Yamamoto like the Urban Vision DVD had. But if not I'll be happy to own their own release of the first Golgo 13 movie.

With that for news, I would be really excited if they could obtain rights to the Lupin TV series. Not trying to ask for too much but they're the only American Distributor I can see giving Lupin more exposure like they've been doing for Fist of the North Star.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
With that for news, I would be really excited if they could obtain rights to the Lupin TV series. Not trying to ask for too much but they're the only American Distributor I can see giving Lupin more exposure like they've been doing for Fist of the North Star.

Discotek is only doing Fist TV because the movie did so well for them. Lupin (The Fuma Conspiracy), on the other hand, did so badly for them that they stopped doing anime in general for about a year or so until the industry balanced out and they picked up the Fist movie. And we have no idea how Lupin First Contact did for them. I personally hope it did well enough for Discotek to consider doing more of the specials one day.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Geo: I just want it to do well enough for us to finally get Babylon. Crying or Very sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
If they do another Lupin III title, I hope it's Alcatraz Connection or the classic Hemingway Papers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
Depending on the extras I might double dip
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1