• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Another Anime Network in North America?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onefiddyone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I really wish all these anime cable networks were not started by companies who already have titles. A few years down the road it seems to me there will be 3 or 4 networks all showing exclusive shows. While I would be very willing to pay $10 a month for the Anime Network (if i had cable) I wouldn't want to pay $30 a month to get three diffrent channels.
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
I totally agree. It seems that these distro companies are starting networks to advertise their anime, but the funny thing is is that if I see it on TV, I'm not going to go out and buy the DVD.

Also, I doubt you will ever see a network totally dedicated to anime that doesn't own the distro rights. Anime distros probably wouldn't license their anime like that because they could just start their own network. It seems to be what they are thinking right now, anyway.
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Animax sounds like a good thing . . .

Now,if we could only get an english language version of Locomotion . . .
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:28 am Reply with quote
i bet by "North America" they mean USA, Canada always gets nothing good. we got screw by Dreamworks about Innocence, and if it wasnt for the FIlm Festival, they would have one angry otaku on thier case.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
Just waiting for Gatsu and possibly Tenchi to come in and start talking about oversaturating the market. At this point though, I'd be inclined to agree with them. Sure, market research shows it viable, but since everybody wants a piece of the pie here, how quickly is it going to start breaking down like the .com industry?

Is it a good thing for fandom? That's a tough question to answer. If companies start biting off more than they can chew and go "belly up" we could start having problems where companies aren't able to license as much due to not making as much money as before. Too many players in the game, and profit margins start going down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:36 am Reply with quote
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:
i bet by "North America" they mean USA, Canada always gets nothing good. we got screw by Dreamworks about Innocence, and if it wasnt for the FIlm Festival, they would have one angry otaku on thier case.

30 Million person Market.
350 Million person market.

Which would you focus on?

Anyways, Comcast has no Canadian presence, so there's no reason that this will lead directly to Animax being available in Canada.

Of course, I'm certain Sony wants Animax in Canada, but how many other places will be higher on their priority list.

What's more, the CRTC's Canadian content rules will make it even harder for them to get into Canada. Only shows dubbed in Canada (at Ocean for example) count as Canadian content, so I don't see them being able to fill 50% of their programming with "Canadian" anime.

Additionally, the CRTC doesn't frequently permit multiple specialty channels dedicated to the same topic. And as far as they're concerned, Canada already has one animation specialty Network (teletoon). Who knows if the CRTC would consider the difference between animation in general and Japanese anime to be enough to warrant a second animation specialty Network?

If I was Animax, I'd be looking to Europe now, and then, when I'd conquered all the bigger and easier markets, only then would I waste my time looking at Canada.

-t
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:04 am Reply with quote
Does animax show only anime or does it show animated shows from other countries (the article said that they specialize in "animated content" which can mean many things)?

As for market being oversaturated, I think that as of today it is not saturated yet (but it might become soon). After all, people who have access to Animax might not necessarily have access to the Anime Network.

In the end, the only real winners in this case might be the viewers who will be presented with more choices.
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:10 am Reply with quote
How much do you want to bet that they tease me with promises of Astro Boy, First Gundam, Rose of Versailles, and World Masterpiece Theater, but just show Inu Yasha 24/7?

And why isn't Astro Boy listed as one of the 'classics' they carry?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
Maybe they mean the new series.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:33 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:

30 Million person Market.
350 Million person market.

Which would you focus on?

Anyways, Comcast has no Canadian presence, so there's no reason that this will lead directly to Animax being available in Canada.

Of course, I'm certain Sony wants Animax in Canada, but how many other places will be higher on their priority list.

What's more, the CRTC's Canadian content rules will make it even harder for them to get into Canada. Only shows dubbed in Canada (at Ocean for example) count as Canadian content, so I don't see them being able to fill 50% of their programming with "Canadian" anime.

Additionally, the CRTC doesn't frequently permit multiple specialty channels dedicated to the same topic. And as far as they're concerned, Canada already has one animation specialty Network (teletoon). Who knows if the CRTC would consider the difference between animation in general and Japanese anime to be enough to warrant a second animation specialty Network?

If I was Animax, I'd be looking to Europe now, and then, when I'd conquered all the bigger and easier markets, only then would I waste my time looking at Canada.

-t

Werd. Getting Animax in Canada should be the least of anyone's worries.

As for the market becoming oversaturated... I wouldn't panic. Tenchi's just trying to scare the children.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
How much do you want to bet that they tease me with promises of Astro Boy, First Gundam, Rose of Versailles, and World Masterpiece Theater, but just show Inu Yasha 24/7?

And why isn't Astro Boy listed as one of the 'classics' they carry?

Because they carry the new astro boy... I should have wrote Astro Boy [2003]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:29 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Just waiting for Gatsu and possibly Tenchi to come in and start talking about oversaturating the market.

Eh, I'm too busy writing my bio... cover for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:58 am Reply with quote
Animax shows some good stuff. I saw the channel everyday when I was visiting my mom in Tokyo. They said Taiwan. I wonder if I can get that channel.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:17 am Reply with quote
Three of the shows mentioned in the piece are already shown by Cartoon Network, so their library seems pretty thin. It would be good if there could be one anime network that combined all the various titles out there under on roof.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:31 am Reply with quote
Wow, AXN is finally coming to the States (Animax is a part AXN back when I was watching it on cable in Korea.) But given that AN and CN being the name brand of the anime networks, I'm pretty sure it will have a rocky start. But is another anime network really what cable ready for, heck, only so many are getting Anime Network, and it only has slightly over a handful of shows. With most of the fan fav shows getting bought by CN and AN, what shows are really left that would pull people in to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4