• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FMA's Hiromu Arakawa Starts Silver Spoon School Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexcampos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
This is very exciting...

I wan't exactly hoping for a school manga, but It'll be interesting to see how Arakawa does on it.

I just hope this doesn't get the Bakuman effect....

By that I mean that people feel that Bakuman is greater than what it really is, simply because the creators previously did an excellent manga (Death Note).
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I also wasn't hoping for a school manga (HATE school settings in anime/mango/games) but I am interested to see how it turns out.

Unlike the Bakuman effect I am more concerned with the "Busou Renkin" effect, where the mangaka fades away after completing a celebrated shounen series Confused...

Hopefully Arakawa will be able to avoid this by experimenting with different genres and continually reinventing her style.

Last edited by JuicyB on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Megaman42xX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Wait, I honestly prefer Bakuman over Death Note. Death Note to me was just too cynical, and after the first arc it felt like it just repeated. Bakuman has a completely different feel and barely takes place in a school. I like that it's a kinda behind the scenes type of thing and makes certain nods to older/popular manga. Out of almost everything I'm reading right now I feel that it's the most exciting chapter to chapter. It doesn't seem to rely on story arcs as much.

And on topic. I'll definitely give it a chance. I like FMA and Hero Tales so I'm interested to see what she does with this as far as genre goes; "slice of life", "shounen", "sci-fi", "fantasy", etc. All this said was taking place in a school and the title "Silver Spoon". This may be a longshot but I'm guessing something to do telekinesis, what with the spoon reference. But again, longshot.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Yay clear files! (I'm a sucker for that sort of promo thing.)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Megaman42xX wrote:
Wait, I honestly prefer Bakuman over Death Note. Death Note to me was just too cynical, and after the first arc it felt like it just repeated. Bakuman has a completely different feel and barely takes place in a school. I like that it's a kinda behind the scenes type of thing and makes certain nods to older/popular manga. Out of almost everything I'm reading right now I feel that it's the most exciting chapter to chapter. It doesn't seem to rely on story arcs as much.

And on topic. I'll definitely give it a chance. I like FMA and Hero Tales so I'm interested to see what she does with this as far as genre goes; "slice of life", "shounen", "sci-fi", "fantasy", etc. All this said was taking place in a school and the title "Silver Spoon". This may be a longshot but I'm guessing something to do telekinesis, what with the spoon reference. But again, longshot.

I also like Bakuman over the author's previous series. It's exciting, interesting and is really fun to read. Also, I am going to guess it paints a pretty accurate picture of what being a manga artist is about. Now maybe the series isn't entirely realistic, but for the most part, I'd say most of it is.

Hard work, skill and being creative is common themes in the manga, and that is true in everyday life. If you work hard and are willing to learn and then learn some more, the end result is usually rewarding.

But I've got to say, my favorite part of the series is the characters and what they are about. Being a manga artist isn't easy and is extremely stressful at times, so it's interesting to see characters in that situation and thrive and on some instances their skills evolve and they tackle the challenges head on.

The Bakuman anime is okay, but I like the manga better. My reason is the expressions the characters sometimes make. There have been times where I read a chapter and laughed for quite some time just because the art work fit the mood and the expression was quite hilarious.

As for Silver Spoon, the name sounds interesting, so it sounds like it would be a great read. I liked Full Metal Alchemist, so I know the author's style to a certain degree.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
Unlike the Bakuman effect I am more concerned with the "Busou Renkin" effect, where the mangaka fades away after completing a celebrated shounen series Confused...

Yeah, I guess you're right on that one...

Anyways, Bakuman (TO ME) feels incredibly overrated, and at times it can be pretty immature or boring.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
Excited to see what this is like but I do agree with the first couple of posts, the school setting is a let down for someone this creative, it's just sooo prominent right now. But the title kind of stands out so maybe it won't just about a simple school story which seems more like an in-between work for someone of Arakawa's creativity than a longer work, I hope.

So going to give that a pass for the moment until we get further info about what it's actual about (or how central school is) and who are the characters since I've really liked Arakawa's style so I'll wait to see what this actually is beyond the basic setting, but I'll admit I'd be disappointed if this is another school-life/first romance or gag title given the creativity, scale, balance of weighty and comedy, and breadth of strong worldly topics and wide variety of types of character interactions of something FMA.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
School setting using Arakawa's artwork? It'll be interesting. Hope it includes romance genre.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Very few manga is set in Hokkaido so it should be interesting especially because since Hiromu Arakawa grew up in Hokkaido it should be more personal for her than FMA.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Very few manga is set in Hokkaido so it should be interesting especially because since Hiromu Arakawa grew up in Hokkaido it should be more personal for her than FMA.

Oh yeah, she did.... and it was on a farm at that, right? It'll probably be a rural setting, especially given how its so far up north. Maybe there will be Ainu residents, even? Oh, and there will be cows. A lot of cows.

Let's call it... a high school pastoral.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm sure it will be good, still wish her luck Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
Nnnnghhhh.. struggling... to not make.. Ricky Schroder jokes... so... difficult...
Nimroc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
I am more concerned with the "Busou Renkin" effect, where the mangaka fades away after completing a celebrated shounen series Confused...

Fading away?, you mean in terms of popularity or work activity?
Just wondering since as far as I know Nobuhiro Watsuki is still working on Embalming, though the releases don't seem very frequent.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
Megaman42xX wrote:
All this said was taking place in a school and the title "Silver Spoon". This may be a longshot but I'm guessing something to do telekinesis, what with the spoon reference. But again, longshot.

There's also the idiom "born with a silver spoon in mouth" meaning born into wealth and privilege - and that may describe the school, exclusive for rich kids. The Japanese are into that hierarchal setting.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
I hope school life is just a sub-genre like in Rumiko Takahashi's works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3