• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Heaven's Lost Property/SoraOto Movie

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed they licensed this before even seeing any sales figures for the series.
minirop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
before releasing both season. were they waiting the the film to release a mega bundle ?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
What a massive let down their panel was......

And WTF? They haven't even released the TV series of this series yet so why have they licensed the movie now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
FUNi's panel was probably one of the most disappointing panels in regards to announcements for a Big Con.

From the way the guys were talking, it sounds like they have some announcements, but they weren't given the go-ahead to talk about them. But they mentioned stuff coming later on.

Regardless, at the end I was going, "Wait, that's it?" :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
And just like with Anime Expo, FUNi's panel was nothing but a waste of time.

Oh well, i'll be looking forward to the remastered Dirty Pair along with Enma-kun Meeramera & Madoka next year so both cons weren't a complete waste.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Weird that this was the thing they announced that they licensed. They haven't even released either season yet. What if Season 1 bombs and Forte(Season 2) never gets released? That would look foolish to license a movie to something that produced very little money.

I'm guessing they've licensed it to avoid another company getting it if the season sets were a hit. Although I doubt any other company would have the money for the license.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
I'm impressed they licensed this before even seeing any sales figures for the series.

Well, they do have streaming figures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
That's nice, but when are they going to release the TV series on dvd? Funi is slow.
TG72

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
They're definitely taking a different approach to license announcements. Otakon used to be the big moment, but now news comes out whenever they're in the mood (Last Exile: Silver Wing a week before AX threw me for a loop).

Maybe they're holding out for November at Nekocon when I'll be in the audience Wink
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
FUNi's panel was probably one of the most disappointing panels in regards to announcements for a Big Con.

From the way the guys were talking, it sounds like they have some announcements, but they weren't given the go-ahead to talk about them. But they mentioned stuff coming later on.

Regardless, at the end I was going, "Wait, that's it?" :/

If it's anything like last year, Funimation does the bulk of their announcements at AX. The remaining cons usually were, at best, one license announcement and a list of release dates for previously announced stuff. Even NY Anime Fair was that way. I hope you are right that they have future announcements, because the last announcement of theirs that interested me was Princess Jellyfish.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
ugh more moe blobs. Wish they'd go back to licensing more shounen anime. Guess it's good that these get an official license.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Considering they were supposed to announce Stein's Gate and Deadman Wonderland for this con and not Expo but ended up doing otherwise, I guess it's not too surprising, but I was hoping they'd get more than a movie to a series I already had no interest in. Oh well, most of the Expo announcements were solid at least.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
ugh more moe blobs. Wish they'd go back to licensing more shounen anime. Guess it's good that these get an official license.

Sora no Otoshimono has a really excellent story once you get past that moe generalization you just gave it and the somewhat erotic content, and for that matter, it is serialized in Shounen Ace, a shounen manga magazine.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually rather happy about this news because now it seems more likely that Funi will license the Strike Witches movie. It's a similar release of a similar show (from Funi's marketing perspective) from the same studio. It seems the HLP movie is a lot further along in the production pipeline, though, so I'm not surprised only it's licensed so far (even though they're both due for 2012).

But then again, even a sliver of potentially-kinda Strike Witches licensing news can satisfy me with a panel. It's too bad no one in the audience asked about the SW movie.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, unless I misheard them, they got the confirmation about the movie like an hour before the panel. They said they had more licenses to announce, they just couldn't get the confirmation in time. All in all, Aniplex seems to be stealing the show in regards to license news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3