• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Black and Blue

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Magic Knight Rayearth is one of the few CLAMP titles I thought was better as an anime. Now, the anime certainly has its problems, but I felt that it handled the character development much better than the manga, which was too short to ever really get emotionally attached to anyone.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Should unwrap and read my Magic Knight Rayearth omnibus tonight.

As for all the iPad love, my understanding is that it's easier to work on. Android tablets are too fragmented right now, which makes developing apps harder. Also, iOS users seem more likely to actually buy apps. Android ads emphasize the number of free apps more often than not.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Magic Knight Rayearth is one of the few CLAMP titles I thought was better as an anime. Now, the anime certainly has its problems, but I felt that it handled the character development much better than the manga, which was too short to ever really get emotionally attached to anyone.

I'd say the opposite. The manga was great, the anime turned the whole series into something very childish. And while the manga was short (since it was good, I certainly wouldn't have minded if it was a bit longer), the anime was too long. I don't remember in detail, but I think it had quite a few fillers and in general changed so much of the story, it's almost like two different series v.v
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Saw the bonus preview for Daniel's first volume in the back of the third volume of Maximum Ride. It's not bad honestly, somewhat interesting story to it.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
All right! Some Magic Knight Rayearth appreciation! That series, both the anime and manga, is seriously underrated. Before you saw Mokona in Tsubabsa, he was in Magic Knight Rayearth.

The omnibus is definitely worth buying, even if you have the original 6 volume Tokyopop releases. The Dark Horse omnibus has a nice dust jacket cover, with a beautiful inllustration, and the spine and cover stay intact. Paper quality is slightly better too, and the dialogue has been cleaned up a bit. Not to mention, there are bonus side-stories and color images. Definitely worth buying and for those who already have the Tokyopop ones, it's worth a double-dip.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
All right! Some Magic Knight Rayearth appreciation! That series, both the anime and manga, is seriously underrated. Before you saw Mokona in Tsubabsa, he was in Magic Knight Rayearth.

The omnibus is definitely worth buying, even if you have the original 6 volume Tokyopop releases. The Dark Horse omnibus has a nice dust jacket cover, with a beautiful inllustration, and the spine and cover stay intact. Paper quality is slightly better too, and the dialogue has been cleaned up a bit. Not to mention, there are bonus side-stories and color images. Definitely worth buying and for those who already have the Tokyopop ones, it's worth a double-dip.

I both love and loathe DH for these omnibuses. I have the TP releases, but they're so pretty that I want to double dip, alas I have no money Sad
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

I'd say the opposite. The manga was great, the anime turned the whole series into something very childish. And while the manga was short (since it was good, I certainly wouldn't have minded if it was a bit longer), the anime was too long. I don't remember in detail, but I think it had quite a few fillers and in general changed so much of the story, it's almost like two different series v.v

I do freely admit that the anime series is too long, but I guess I'm just of the opinion that I'd rather have it a little too long than a little too short. (One can always skip filler episodes, after all) And yeah... the second season IS almost an entirely different series than the second part of the manga, but I kind of preferred it that way. I did have problems with the second season in that Hikaru was really the only one of the three girls there who had anything to do with the plot, but I liked the darker stuff they added, especially with Eagle. The ending of the manga kind of felt like a cop out to me. spoiler[ Eagle being in a magical "I can still talk to you!" coma thing, versus the anime, where he actually died. ] Or maybe I just have a touch of a sadistic side and I like a more bittersweet ending to the "Everybody is happy forever!" ending. spoiler[ I do admit, the anime would have been cooler if Mokona had been God in it, too. Very Happy ]

I don't know. I think both versions are flawed, but I happen to prefer the anime's flaws. Smile
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
The manga for MKR just seemed too rushed/short. 3 Volumes & we're done?
Quote:
And you thought the curry cooking competition was an unusual departure? Well, here's Ciel and Sebastian Join the Circus!

You caught the ref to missing children. Every town a child went missing in, this Circus visited. The motiff is old. Something Wicked This Way Comes. Forget that, the old "Run away & join the circus" thing. Circuses are fun & happy places, but some seem to have dark underbellies.
Not to mention, why does Ciel find a note with his name inside of it? Could this be connected to his kidnapping?
Quote:
Sebastian gets friendly with a tiger and freaks out the animal tamer;

Yet has not a scratch on him when the Circus doctor checks him out.
Quote:
Ciel gets a serious dose of fish-out-of-water awkwardness as he realizes that the nomadic circus life is nothing like his pampered upbringing.

spoiler[And we discover next volume his discomfort is because he has asthma which the Circus environment exacerbates.] Smile Also, Sebastian doesn't know this about his master.
Quote:
one of Sebastian's supernatural rivals has also joined the circus for shady reasons,

You remember Spears. Dour, humorless, Grell's Shinigami boss who hates devils & thus hates Sebastian & gets in the way. It's a convenient excuse to separate Ciel from Sebastian, don't you think?
Quote:
Maybe this is just a stupid, obvious question, but where is the actual plot?
You mean where we see a brand on Ciel's back we haven't seen before? Where Sebastian sees a brand on the prosthetic leg of one of the performers which is also on the signet ring of an allegedly philanthropic nobleman. That all the first-stringers are from the same town? That apparently part of the bargain binding Ciel & Sebastian includes Ciel ORDERING Sebastian (The exchange where Sebastian comments he included Ciel in the undercover because he didn't believe Ciel would want Sebastian acting on his own will instead of Ciel's). That indeed, as a devil, Sebastian does devour souls, but he has grown weary of lesser souls & prefers high quality ones (You know, the exchange where the Shinigami comments he can tell how hungry Sebastian is, but that Sebastian chooses not to devour those lesser souls Spears is positive Sebastian is after)
Quote:
What started out as a potential detective thriller gradually turns into a farce as the storyline falls deeper and deeper into Ciel and Sebastian's circus antics.

Pay attention to snakeboy. He's picked up as a servant of the manor later (Remember-all the servants except Tanaka & Sebastian are somewhat rescued abused shelter animals. They all have dark pasts Ciel rescued them from). Interesting is his actions are more pure than his fellow first-stringers. There is a darkness to the ringmaster as is not uncommon in circus stories of a darker nature.
Quote:
It's understandable that one might need a few scenes to show how our heroes insinuate their way into the troupe, but for that to be the primary focus of this volume—with the actual investigation only beginning late into the final chapter—shows a misplaced sense of priorities. There isn't even any kind of forward progress where Ciel develops his performing skills or gets acclimated to his surroundings; it's just "here's an aristocrat in an unlikely situation, so let's all laugh at him!"

If the purpose were for Ciel to be part of the circus, sure, but that ISN'T the point. The point is for Sebastian to discover his master's been withholding information from his pet demon & for the audience to learn something of Ciel's past. Hang in tight. Trust me. The darkness of this arc is likely the reason the anime jumped ship to original anime stories. spoiler[I mean, burning a mansion to the ground with the missing children inside...] This ties to Ciel's abduction, the reason he hooked up with Sebastian & Ciel's reaction also causes the next arc as the Queen reacts to the situation.
So by no means is this fluff & by no means are we not drawing closer to the master plot of the title involving those who killed Ciel's parents & kidnapped Ciel.
This is more like Clamp. If you can't wade thru the cutsy stuff to pick up the clues the creator is dropping, you aren't going to like the title. The hints are there, but they aren't circled in red or paraded in front of one's nose.

If anything, the current Zombies on a ship plot is more fluff. (But better than snakes on a plane, right?)
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
You caught the ref to missing children. Every town a child went missing in, this Circus visited. The motiff is old. Something Wicked This Way Comes. Forget that, the old "Run away & join the circus" thing. Circuses are fun & happy places, but some seem to have dark underbellies.
Not to mention, why does Ciel find a note with his name inside of it? Could this be connected to his kidnapping?

Oh thank god, I really enjoyed the first 3 volumes of Black Butler, but my heart dropped when I heard, "and this is followed by a cooking contest!" Me: ".........what?" RTO increased my sinking feeling with the "circus" remark, and I didn't even read further I was so disappointed, but this got me interested again. And after actually reading the full review, I'll probably enjoy this volume as Sebastian being a godly-bad*** is one of the highlights of the series for me.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I probably get a bit defensive with the RTO Black Butler reviews because it very much usually seems to be looking for things to pick apart. Because I love Clamp, I recognize the dropping hints as the story goes along. Clamp is much better at it, but it does seem to be this author's style to move along at a certain pace, dropping a few crumbs here & there. The point of the cooking contest was to bring in the Prince, clear his butler, introduce one of the Queen's butlers (we see more of them in the arc following the Circus arc as the story goes into an And Then There Were None plot). We also see a bit of the actions of Ciel's little underworld as the bad guys are not taken out by Ciel, but by Lau.
So finding fluff all over is rather...shortsighted on the reviewer's side? He's being so overwhelmed by the obvious, he's missing the subtle. For me, the glory of this title is understatement. More typical shonen titles would spell out & repeat every other volume the terms of Ciel's contract with Sebastian. We don't get that in BB. Ciel made his bargain. He knows his fate. He isn't looking for salvation or redemption. He's perfectly willing to lie in the bed he has made to accomplish his goal.
That is incredibly cool.
He's not looking for that loophole, yet he has the pluck to poke at his fate, push Sebastian to try to find his limit.

The reason for Spears at the Circus is in this universe, the Shinigami apparently show up for mass death events, but Grell wouldn't work personality-wise in this local & we haven't met the lawnmower Shinigami yet (Forget his name right now) so Spears is all we have, plus his hatred of devils works to move the plot in a chapter or 2 (When Ciel's thing happens, they have to speed up the investigation & jerk Shinigami Spears stands in the way so Sebastian has to resort to other means to attain the information Ciel wants. This shows more of Sebastian's skills since were it not for Spears, Sebastian would have gathered the info in the same manner Ciel had) After that Spears IS rather pointless to the plot, but we have so much more to focus on by then with the Manor staff again getting to show off the skills that got them hired, not their day-jobs.
This is an excellent arc, and a dark one. Ciel surely damns his soul a little further with this one.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
"mind-numbing complexity of Tsubasa, RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE"

The word "complexity" should have been replaced with "stupidity". It is beyond incredible how stupid the events and motivations are (in the beginning at least -- I could not tolerate more than that, though tried at least twice).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1