• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Splendent to Handle Rights to 69 Akira Kurosawa Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
triangle_man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
Couple of red flags for me.

First, I'm pretty sure Ran, Rashomon, Kagemusha and some others they didn't list are still in print from Criterion. What makes them think they can put out a better product?

Also, the prospect of a Hollywood remake of Seven Samurai scares me. Samurai 7 and Magnificent Seven I can understand for various reasons. They weren't a straight up remake of the original IMHO.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
They forgot to mention that Yojimbo also inspired A Fistful of Dollars.
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
First, I'm pretty sure Ran, Rashomon, Kagemusha and some others they didn't list are still in print from Criterion. What makes them think they can put out a better product?
Criterion's release of Ran is no longer in print, and hasn't been since early 2009 when Studio Canal yanked the license from them (and has done with a number of other titles, and since licensed them to Lionsgate... who doesn't really have intention to release them).

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I'm not sure if this signals the end of Criterion's releases for the other Kurosawa titles. I'm not sure how this impacts home and video rights, so hopefully someone might be able to clarify.

Edit: Rewarded for staying up late: I just discovered this. For those that may not click the link: it's remake rights that have been secured.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty significant difference from what the original article says. I'd hope the ANN editors will revise the article accordingly.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Edit: Rewarded for staying up late: I just discovered this. For those that may not click the link: it's remake rights that have been secured.

It's not just remake rights, but also production rights — some of the titles, such as The Masque of the Black Death, were never made in the first place.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
It's not just remake rights, but also production rights — some of the titles, such as The Masque of the Black Death, were never made in the first place.
Right, but I noted remake rights specifically in response to the titles triangle_man was concerned about.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
Neat. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how they're handled. Didn't know that about Ran though. I suppose that's why Studio Canal was able to put out a bluray edition of it.

As to Kurosawa by Criterion, they just released a bluray edition of High and Low, so there's still hope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1