• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment's Scrapped Princess License Expired

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
It's always a shame when a good show goes out of print, although apparently it's been so for a while, even without the formal announcement.

It also makes me really glad I happened upon the boxset a few months ago used at FYE, because I doubt I could get my hands on it now otherwise.
calimike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
Licensed in 2003. That's 8 year for license. Interesting! DBZ is license for long time, wow !
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Glad I got it when I did! Surprised
JGlibra03

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that I have the series when Bandai Entertainment released Scrapped Princess in the single dvd volumes maybe another Anime Distruber like Funimation might get the rights to the series. Wink
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:28 am Reply with quote
That sucks. Scrapped Princess is a real solid show, and it doesn't get enough love. It's always sad to see this happen to good shows, and know that new fans will never get the chance to own it.

/I got the boxset release, and SP is one of those shows I still enjoy watching at least once ever year
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
I'm not hesitant at all to say that Scrapped Princess was one of the most underrated gems of the last decade. It may not spring to mind as readily as a Death Note or a Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya does, but it's still a very solid title that stands its ground in terms of quality (and in my opinion, soundly surpasses one of the aforementioned examples in both writing and general likability). Every time I'm reminded of it, I just can't help but regard it fondly...not necessarily as a favorite or a masterpiece, but as a series that was just plain damn good and worth a revisit every now and then.

Looks like I have one more title on my shelf that just became a collector's item.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Scrapped Princess is a real solid show, and it doesn't get enough love.

This.

And Nagisa's well written comment too. Scrapped Princess was one of those shows that helped plant the hook in me for becoming an anime fan. I haven't watched in quite awhile and these comments make me want to dust off my copies and watch it again. I suppose if it was time to have to pay some licensing fees and the current sales don't justify it, there probably isn't much of a business case. This would be the time to hit TRSI or Amazon and get a copy before they disappear.
redranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
Who cares. It wasn't very good or good at all.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Who cares. It wasn't very good or good at all.

I myself never watched or read the show, but was it that bad? Like the K-On dub, I have heard mixed reviews.

But either way, nothing can be done now that the license has expired though.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier,

It wasn't bad, IMO. But I would say that it was... disappointing. As in, the premise and first half of the series was really good, but in the end, IMO, it fell flat. I didn't care for the end much at all.

But I can see why others might like it a lot more than I do, and I can see why people would like it a lot less (as opposed to those series where you can't even tell why anyone would like it at all).

It's a series worth watching, but it is one that I recommend you *do* watch before deciding if you want to buy it.
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
If it wasn't hard to tell, I love Scrapped Princess. Hopefully FUNi will pick it up and give it the love it deserves.

Also, I guess you could say Bandai...

*puts on glasses*

scrapped it.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
Well crap. I guess I need to start scouring for the rest of the series sooner than I'd planned. I've got the first single (along with a very nice figure of Pacifica, I think her name was), and enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away, but I liked what I saw enough to want to get the rest eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
Well thats a shame but those who wanted it all ready got a copy like me
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
This was a very good series, sad to see it leave the playing field. I've got the DVDs already though.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
Licensed in 2003. That's 8 year for license. Interesting! DBZ is license for long time, wow !

Actually Bandai announced their license in July of 2004. It was likely acquired eariler that year. Scrapped Princess has actually been out of print since at least last year, so that's likely when the license expired.

Right Stuff and Amazon have been out of it for a while, and used copies on Amazon Market Place have been creeping up in price. If you haven't got a copy already, it may be best to try eBay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2