• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Disney XD to Air Stitch! Anime Starting Monday

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
I loved Lilo and Stitch, so I'm really looking forward to thid. I must remember to set my DVR.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
For those curious about the dub, it was covered at ToonZone while it was airing overseas a few years ago and it was not pretty.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthread.php?263263-Stitch!-English-Dub-Edits
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
Too bad Disney US can't do their own dub of this show. I'd prefer to hear the original voices of the characters. :/ But it's still cool that they're bringing it over I guess.

EDIT: So I was gonna set this to record on my DVR but I have Dish Network and it says that the Suite Life of Zack and Cody is gonna air at 9am on the 24th. Are you sure this is real?

Last edited by Redlinks on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
I've heard the dub utterly sucks, but still....

OH MY GOD I NEED TO SEE THIS SHOW. BEEN DYING TO SEE IT FOR YEARS.

I MUST WATCH IT IF ONLY TO CATCH UP TO THE EP WHERE WE SEE GROWN UP LILO. YES.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Really Glad this is FINALLY coming over, sad Disney isnt giving it the treatment it deserves (I mean weekday morning premires is fine, but c'mon I'd rather have it in Primetime.)

But I guess Disney still doesn't care about animation anymore...so sad. Anyhwo yeah already got my DVR set to record the 1st 5 episodes, heres hoping it can do well with the timeslot it was given.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
9 AM too early for you? Got too much of a backlog of episodes of Bleach, Durarara!!, and FMA:B on your DVR (like me) to feel like DVR'ing it? Well, the first 3 episodes are also getting a lunchtime mini-marathon Wednesday afternoon from 11:30 AM-1 PM Eastern (10:30 AM-Noon Central). So if you're not an early bird or firmly at work/school at 8 but happen to be free on Wednesday you can still "get your Stitch! on!!"

What's interesting about this is late night rerun possibilities. Perhaps this could take over the 2:30 AM timeslot away from Kid vs. Kat, which currently is locked in an awkward alternating 2-hour block with Jimmy Two Shoes. If that happened, could reruns of the Kakuzu/Hidan arc of Naruto Shippuden finally follow Stitch! at 3 AM?

It also seems to show the return of some animated programming that isn't Kick Buttowski to non-dead timeslots of the network that began as Toon Disney.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Disney X-D is really meant to be the more male-oriented version of the Disney Channel, so while animation does have a role there, its main focus is on live-action shows (namely comedies), which dominates most of their primetime lineup.

Stitch! may eventually be the only anime on Disney X-D (I'd be surprised if Naruto: Shippuden even lasts the rest of the year there before they pull the plug)...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be the 4Kids-esque dub from the Philippines I saw years ago.. but I guess it is. Shame. Has literally one of my favorite anime openings of all time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I would've liked to hear David Ogden Stiers ham it up in a faux-Russian accent as Dr. Jumba. His performance, in both the movies and the TV show, was easily my favorite.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
But I guess Disney still doesn't care about animation anymore...so sad. Anyhwo yeah already got my DVR set to record the 1st 5 episodes, heres hoping it can do well with the timeslot it was given.

What do you mean? There's still plenty of animation on Disney XD. They're turning around on the girl tween sitcom stuff that Hanna Montana kicked off because some high-up at Disney realized boys don't watch this stuff, and their young male viewers are still into action cartoons. That's why you have stuff like Kick Buttowski and Kid vs. Cat on XD.

And on the theatrical front we have The Princess and the Frog, whose very existence shows that Disney cares about 2-D animation, enough to take the risk. As for whether audiences were interested in it is another matter entirely.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
My fingers are recrossing in hoped that Stitch!: Zutto Saikō no Tomodachi gets translated as Stitch!: Best Friends Forever.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
It'd be awesome if this really happened, but I wouldn't get too excited yet. The same thing happened with The Slayers and Guru Guru; everyone was all hyped to see it on the schedule, but then all disappointed because all they saw was typical junk.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'm half exited... why is this on Disney Anime hyper? Why not regular Disney Channel?

How can the English dub be bad? It has freakin EDEN RIEGEL playing the lead! She's Sam Riegel's sister, and she's a FREAKIN EMMY WINNER. She played Bianca in All My Children, and let me tell you, she was amazing in that role. She voices the lead character in the Stitch! anime! I would say that's a good start right there!

I just hope Cartoon Network takes some pointers and shows Powerpuff Girls Z in SOME way, shape or form...

@PartySmores: I know Slayers was picked up for broadcast by FoxKids, but I never knew it actually showed up on the schedule before it was pulled![/b]
perfectblue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:45 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Too bad Disney US can't do their own dub of this show?

Given Disney's record for censorship and "reinterpreting", a Disney dub might be much worse. You could see entire scenes chopped out, or the dialog dramatically changed. In some dubs they change the dialog in the early episodes without having first watched the later ones which can lead to characters completely contradicting themselves later on, or key events later on making no sense as the introductions in earlier episodes have been removed\written differently.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
@PartySmores: I know Slayers was picked up for broadcast by FoxKids, but I never knew it actually showed up on the schedule before it was pulled![/b]

Actually, I think Anime News Network actually reported that Slayers was going to air on ABC Family, and some people claimed to have seen ads, but it was likely pulled at the last minute due to the fact that the editing was going super slow.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
perfectblue wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
Too bad Disney US can't do their own dub of this show?

Given Disney's record for censorship and "reinterpreting", a Disney dub might be much worse. You could see entire scenes chopped out, or the dialog dramatically changed. In some dubs they change the dialog in the early episodes without having first watched the later ones which can lead to characters completely contradicting themselves later on, or key events later on making no sense as the introductions in earlier episodes have been removed\written differently.

I'd still rather hear the original voices. It's just what I'm used to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4