• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Series that you'd like to see get a "proper" anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
This topic was hard to title. (Mods, feel free to change it to something better.) Many manga series, if they get an anime, get it at when they are at their most popular. That usually means the story is ongoing, and probably won't finish in time for the anime to follow the manga's ending. Meaning one of several things:
a) An open ending, leaving the possibility for another season, or OVAs or something. Natsume Yuujinchou is a good example of this, as each new season picks up right where the old one left off.
b) The anime writers take the story in an completely different direction, a la the original version of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime or Fruits Basket.
c) A non-ending, like most series that get an anime at the peak of their popularity, like Ouran High School Host Club, Junjou Romantica and most other shojo series.

What I'm asking is which series you'd like to see get a remake anime that follows the manga faithfully to the end, like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Inuyasha Final Act. For me, I'd like to see Ouran High School Host Club be animated faithfully, as the extravagance and comedy comes across so well in anime form. I'd also like to see Black Butler get a faithful remake once the manga is finished, as I think the second season just goes beyond the point of ridiculousness and is just annoying fangirl bait. Finally La Corda d'Oro. I'd like it if they made a few short ending videos for each character like they did with Harukanaru Toki no Naka de. I'll mention more as I think of them. Don't just list series, though, or the topic will be locked Sad
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the Kekkaishi manga by Yellow Tanabe and think that the second half is better than the first, so I'd love to see it get the "Final Act" treatment, but I'm not holding my breath.

There are some really great Shojo titles that got the short-shift anime wise. Please Save My Earth by Saki Hiwatari and Basara by Yumi Tamura immediately comes to mind.

Please Save My Earth is considered a classic, with 21 volumes and a currently ongoing sequel, yet its anime adaptation was a 6-episode OVA. I haven't watched it, but I know it doesn't cover the whole series. Justin Sevakis even mentioned PSME in an ANNCast as a title that would be great to see remade! Smile

Basara's epic 27 volumes were translated into a 13 episode anime series. No dice! That story can be fleshed out completely and would even attract shonen action fans if packaged right!

Then there is The Twelve Kingdoms. It's one of my favorite anime, and I'd love to see it continued, especially since the novels that describe the events after the anime ends are no longer being released State-side.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:59 am Reply with quote
I know it might not totally fit into the same pigeonhole as the rest of the series mentioned, but I was thinking of Ghost in the Shell. Let me start by saying that Ghost in the Shell, in the various forms it was animated, is my all-time favorite series. However, the anime has almost nothing to do with the manga, which was plastered with comedy. In fact, the main character has a totally different way of behaving in the manga than she does in the anime. I thought it might be interesting to see what a faithful adaptation might look like for the series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
@vashna I recently read Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor by Shirow Masamune, and I was surprised by the differences from the Stand Alone Complex anime. For one, Togusa (my favorite character) has way more of a buddy-cop, humorous rapport with Batou. For two, The Major. Shocked Razz She's just out there! Doin' her own thing, not following anyone's rules~a very different take on her character.

Togusa and Batou got some great moments in SAC (I recently rewatched the season one ep "Android and I") but I love to see more of that. And, sure, let The Major go wild! That'd be fun! Laughing

In the last interview with the studio published here, they said they'd be interested in doing more SAC anime, right? There's hope! Wink
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Have you ever read the very first of Masamune's Ghost in the Shell volumes? The Major has even more of that 'out there' sensibility about her, and there's even a reference to Masamune's other work Dominion Tank Police. Actually, have you ever seen that anime? It's pretty close to what I could imagine a manga derived SAC anime could be like.

Frankly, I'd be pleased with anything related to Ghost in the Shell being released, since it is my favorite anime series. Very Happy
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Rosario+Vampire. The Manga is basically a B version of Tenchi Muyo. (Only u know monsters instead of aliens) The anime is a watered down, ecchied up crudfest. (Has nice music though, lol but thats the only nice tihng I can say about it.)

I would also like to see Claymore get another anime someday once the manga is close to finishing so it can cover more of the story.
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
I really would like to see a remake of Perfect Girl Evolution. The anime is great, I loved it, but it's just not as good as the manga. The anime jumps all over the place, it doesn't follow the sequence in the manga at all. Some of the earlier episodes in the anime were based on manga chapters that were released after the manga chapter where the ending of the anime was based on. The anime pretty much covers less than 50 chapters of the manga, but it's still ongoing with over 100 chapters already. If you follow the manga, you'll finally see a real development on Kyouhei and Sunako's love story, unlike the earlier chapters where it was all implied but never fully explored. A lot of things have happened in the manga since the ending of the anime, and they are great scenes. Hopefully, if not a remake, Perfect Girl Evolution at least gets a sequel.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
If Claymore received another anime work that would very much resemble the dynamic between FullMetal Alchemist and FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood that their original post in this thread referenced. That could certainly be a positive thing if it were done right.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I think that Birdy the Mighty should get an animated adaptation that finishes the damned story. There have been one good and one very good adaptation thus far, but both end with the looming threat still looming and Tsutomu subletting another being's body.

vashna wrote:
If Claymore received another anime work that would very much resemble the dynamic between FullMetal Alchemist and FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood that their original post in this thread referenced. That could certainly be a positive thing if it were done right.

I'd really like to see a second Claymore series too. I doubt that my desire will be satisfied, but it'd be swell if it were. What I would really like would be one that not only told the whole story, but took advantage of the fact that the first part was already faithfully animated, its finale notwithstanding, by retelling it with considerable, but not complete, deviations from the manga that served to develop the setting more, such perhaps making the church of Rabona either a less obvious derivative of medieval Catholicism or a more complete one, and dispense with some of the shōnen conventions that I feel drag the series down.

I doubt that I'll get either of the things that I want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
I just finished the Air Gear anime today, and considering that it ended on a note that allows more of the show to be made anyways, I would like to see that series picked up once again. Some of Kazu's coolness wasn't present in the show as it was, and the Simca and Spitfire characters were woefully underdeveloped. However, that doesn't mean that I didn't absolutely love the anime; it just could use a further exploration of the storylines of those three characters.
Absolute_Girlfriend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
Absolute Boyfriend and Vic Mignogna will play the voice of Knight ahhhh so dreamy Anime catgrin
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
I've been hoping for adaptations of more Yuu Watase works so much! Not so much Absolute Boyfriend though because it's easily my least favourite of what she's written. But both Imadoki and Alice 19th would make great 13 episode anime.

Luckily I'm pretty sure Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden will eventually be animated, since that franchise was so popular.

I also would like to see a second season of Ouran but I wouldn't be interested in seeing the same material covered by the original anime because honestly I like it better than the manga. I think a lot of the humour works better for me animated, plus the big thing that annoys me about the manga is not a problem there (the anime does not just ignore the passage of time, which IMO is an issue of pretty sloppy writing in the manga).

Other than that, most of the stuff I like has gotten an adaptation of some sort, though sometimes it's a drama (which Absolute Boyfriend has, for the record) instead of an anime.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
I wonder if, considering the fact that Ouran has now made the transition to live action adaptation, we are less likely to actually see another anime translation of the series. I hope that isn't the case, of course!
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
Probably not, there are many series that have both a live action and an anime adaptation. Nodame Cantabile, for example, had a vastly popular live action before the anime began. Hana Yori Dango also has both, as does NANA, Paradise Kiss, and Love*Com, just to name those I actually know about. I actually think that if the live action does well we might have a better chance of getting more anime, since it will show that the series is still profitable.

I only mentioned live action adaptations having me not necessarily want anime because one series, Mars, I think works better as a live action than it would animated anyway. Also, I personally couldn't watch the Nodame anime because the actors in the live action just are those characters to me so much that seeing/hearing anyone else in the roles just doesn't work. Plus visually the live action was able to show a lot more during the performance scenes.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I want a real Gunsmith Cats series. The Riding Bean OAV and the three part GSC OAV were good appetizers, but the manga storyline is the main course.

I want an Ikki Tousen reboot. The anime diverged from the manga in it's first iteration and the subsequent seasons seem to stray farther from the epic continuity of the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4