• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Simply Cel-ular

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
Waiting in line on Black Friday? Naw, I'm "lucky" enough to be one of two people in my department at work right now (the other guy is a contractor and doesn't get paid if he don't show up, and I just like being able to get stuff done uninterrupted for a change)! That, and I am also lucky enough that the vast majority of the stuff I usually want to buy around Christmas time is available in ONLINE sales. No need to break my hermit ways and deal with people, YAY!

About the Aniplex thing... Yeah, that does scare me. First the $400 Garden of Sinners box, then the insanely expensive Madoka Magica singles, now probably an equally expensive Fate/Zero release. What I am really worried about is that Aniplex may be driving up the cost of their "hardcore" licenses so high that American companies don't even consider them, and then justifying it by making a killing on those expensive sets.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
So that's the reason for Adult Swim showing some of the same anime. I thought it was just a license thing, but seeing the ratings are still good for those shows at the time slot, makes sense to keep them. Fooly Cooly/Cowboy Bebop are like Family Guy in the sense that people prefer to watch reruns more often than new shows. Although not as many as one would hopefully want, its still good that Adult Swim tries to show new anime every now and then. Heck, even still showing anime even thought they don't have to and replace them with their own higher rated shows.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Although not as many as one would hopefully want, its still good that Adult Swim tries to show new anime every now and then. Heck, even still showing anime even thought they don't have to and replace them with their own higher rated shows.

*sniff* It makes me soooo happy to see other people who can see that! Very Happy

If I have to suffer through another thread full of ignorant buffoons screaming that Adult Swim hates and is trying to destroy anime and/or anime fandom, despite the fact that they keep showing it as opposed to their much cheaper and higher rated shows, I might work myself into a coma from smashing my head into my desk one too many times....
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
I don't wait in line for Black Friday, I live in Canada. Usually Boxing Day is the big rush day.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
With aniplex. I think they figured out that they can simply produce a ton of bluays and then sell off the extra in America. I am pretty sure that Fate Zero could get liscensed by someone like Sentai or Funimation.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope Aniplex releases a sanely priced Fate/Zero box over here, like they did with Baccano! Of course we all know that's not gonna happen Rolling Eyes .
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The guy says he got KnK at $400 on eBay? No mark up, as that was the original asking price. Lucky find.

I'm so excited to own F/Z day one. Certainty hope we get a translation booklet for the supplemental stuff.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The popular shows once owned by the triumverate of failure known as ADV, Geneon, and CPM have already been picked over and scattered, the marrow from their bleached bones sucked dry. In the past few years, try and think of something, ANYTHING, that's had a drastic re-license or "license rescue" from Funimation or anyone else. Didn't think so.

How about a month and a half ago?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-14/funimation-adds-fafner-series-film-and-oblivion-island
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
The popular shows once owned by the triumverate of failure known as ADV, Geneon, and CPM have already been picked over and scattered, the marrow from their bleached bones sucked dry. In the past few years, try and think of something, ANYTHING, that's had a drastic re-license or "license rescue" from Funimation or anyone else. Didn't think so.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-14/funimation-adds-fafner-series-film-and-oblivion-island

Exception that proves the rule. One does not equal a trend.
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know how one conveys aesop? Never come across it as a regular noun, rather than referring to the author of fables. Google failed to bring up anything else, but if that's a legitimate use of it I'd be interested if any of the ANN wordsmiths might inform me of the meaning.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
So that's the reason for Adult Swim showing some of the same anime. I thought it was just a license thing, but seeing the ratings are still good for those shows at the time slot, makes sense to keep them. Fooly Cooly/Cowboy Bebop are like Family Guy in the sense that people prefer to watch reruns more often than new shows. Although not as many as one would hopefully want, its still good that Adult Swim tries to show new anime every now and then. Heck, even still showing anime even thought they don't have to and replace them with their own higher rated shows.

The problem is you cannot equate Cowboy Bebop and FLCL to Family Guy, as Family Guy has 10 seasons worth of episodes to draw from. Whereas FLCL has 8 total episodes and Cowboy Bebop has 26 episodes....versus Family Guys 170 episodes (as of this writing).

Family Guy has alot of episodes to draw from and rotate around to keep people interested (seeing that many of the episodes are stand alone and don't exactly fall in a set timeline). Whereas FLCL and Cowboy Bebop are too linear and getting in the middle might leave viewers with questions about what happened earlier (For example, how Faye came to know Spike and Jet).

Compared to other shows which were specifically made for syndication, FLCL and Cowboy Bebop episode counts are shameful. Star Trek alone went from 79 episodes with TOS to ~170 episodes with the subsequent series, with exception of Enterprise, which has 98 episodes. Babylon 5 has 106 episodes to draw from.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Compared to other shows which were specifically made for syndication, FLCL and Cowboy Bebop episode counts are shameful.

In defense, FLCL was an OVA series which often doesn't produce quite as many episodes as a TV show would be (let alone most anime today on TV often get the 13 episode treatment anyway).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:

Exception that proves the rule. One does not equal a trend.

Utena
El Hazard
Nadesico, Dirty Pair OVA/Movie/Flash
Trigun, Hellsing, Haibane Renmei, Ai Yori Aoshi, Tenchi Muyo OVA/Universe/Tokyo/Movies, Tehxnolyze, Serial Experiments Lain, Armitage III
FLCL
Project A-Ko, [Adieu] Galaxy Express 999
5 cm/s
Lodoss War OVA/TV

The farthest this spans is to January of last year, so just under two years ago. License rescues still happen, they just aren't happening in the bulk from when Funimation took a big scoop of ADV stuff.

EDIT:
Forgot Girls Bravo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
No hope for Fate/Zero fans that don't wanna cough up hundreds of dollars to own the series. Sigh, I hate the hardcore collectors whom are buying into the insane prices.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh Leorio is back? I watched the old HunterxHunter anime which lead me to read the manga (fansub and scanlations, I was a bad girl back then...) and then promptly forgot about it along with the entire plot when Togashi went on one of his epic long breaks. Now that there's a remake of HunterxHunter streaming legally, I'm back into the franchise (dragging my not-so-reluctant lil bro along with me) and have purchased all the English volumes of the manga. It really is so much fun, and I'm actually, haha, thankful that I barely remember what happens because it means I can enjoy it all over again Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4