• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Target to Phase out Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konosuke15

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
never bought from Target....no loss for me
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.... I wonder if we'll get lucky and get a quick sale on some of the titles? Smile

Then again, IIRC, they'd be more likely to send it back to the original distributor instead. Of course, it's been about ten years since I worked for them, so I'm not 100% sure of their current business practices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear, Target won't sell anime anymore? Whatever shall I do? [/sarcasm]

Target's anime selection was pathetic to begin with. I don't think I've ever purchased a single anime DVD from Target. And I doubt most anime fans do. I'd imagine that most of the people who buy anime from Target are just getting something for their Yu-Gi-Oh! addicted child.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Target's anime selection was pathetic to begin with. I don't think I've ever purchased a single anime DVD from Target. And I doubt most anime fans do. I'd imagine that most of the people who buy anime from Target are just getting something for their Yu-Gi-Oh! addicted child.

I didn't even know they sold anime to begin with.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I guess it depended on which store you visted. I saw quite a number of DVD's there like Kiddy Grade, Gundam, etc. Even so, it probably wasn't enough of a seller to make it worth their while to keep up with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hoshi19

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm annoyed about it. They didn't have a big selection, but it was really cheap compared to other places.
KarriaChinoRyu

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I got half my Fruits Basket collection there because I heard it was cheap (20 bucks for 7 episodes? Hell yes!). However, that was last summer, so it doesn't matter much to me. There's always Best Buy.
conchobar

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Even if you don't shop for anime at Target, you have to wonder what the implications are for the US anime industry. Anime in the US went from a small niche to a big niche, but is that it? Is the industry merely going through a slump or is it just impossible for anime to truly reach the mainstream here?
Bleach

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Best buy > target.

That's all i have to say.
YourNeighborTotoro

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Actully I just went to Target last weekend and bought Grave of the Fireflies for only $15. Anime is a lot less expensive there (Grave of the Fireflies would be about $20-$30 at Suncoast or Sam Goodys). And I don't live very close to one of those stores (there all at the mall nowdays) . Sure, there selection wasn't very big, but the prices were great and I was fine. Personally, I am sad to see them go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know that Target was even selling anime. Confused

As for implications in the US anime market: Little to no impact at all. Anime will never be as mainstream as sports, movies, and American TV programming.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I didn't know that Target was even selling anime. Confused

As for implications in the US anime market: Little to no impact at all. Anime will never be as mainstream as sports, movies, and American TV programming.

It may never be but it seems to be doing pretty well with it's current statis. It has atleast become recoginized in todays society. With the increasing popularity of the gaming industry, it's hard for anime not to be somewhere near by. I think besides sports anime could (and has for me ) topped and surpassed all the other things you mentioned. Anime has become reoginized and I hope it will continue to grow. More and more people are beinning to see the world of anime, and more and more people are joining it everyday as well.

Now as for the target thing, I agree with most of the posts, it may have been cheap, but many of the anime titles they had there were piss poor ones. The only one I bought from there was the 1st vol of kiddy grade. It is sad to see an anime section go, but since it didn't have goo stuff in the first place then it doesn't hurt that much. es, Best Buy over Target any day of the week...now if only they would get rid of wal-mart's....
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
That really sucks. They had some pretty good deals there. That's where I bought the majority of my Case Closed dvd's. Oh well, I hope this only applies to Target and not Super Target, the regular Target had none.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
It may never be but it seems to be doing pretty well with it's current statis. It has atleast become recoginized in todays society. With the increasing popularity of the gaming industry, it's hard for anime not to be somewhere near by. I think besides sports anime could (and has for me ) topped and surpassed all the other things you mentioned. Anime has become reoginized and I hope it will continue to grow. More and more people are beinning to see the world of anime, and more and more people are joining it everyday as well.

I hope so too because anime is a medium that more people should be exposed to. The problem that I see with anime is that it will always play second fiddle to the giants that are sports and video games. Those media generate so much revenue that even if anime becomes mainstream, it will never generate the dollars that the aformentioned two generate on a yearly basis. I'm very thrilled that anime is growing on a global scale, however, and exposing more and more people to anime willl ensure its healthy growth in the entertainment world! Very Happy
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
That really sucks. They had some pretty good deals there. That's where I bought the majority of my Case Closed dvd's. Oh well, I hope this only applies to Target and not Super Target, the regular Target had none.

i would think it would apply to all targets that have the anime sections. They might keep the occasional DBZ dvd, but other than that the secion entitled "anime" will be gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3