• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Manga Series to Return in Japan in May

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Whatever "Reboot" means to the Japanese and Watsuki Sensei, I hope the continuation of the manga coupled with the new OVA and Live action mean The Kenshin Saga will finally be closed off or continued the way Watsuki intended. I also hope these new chapters and projects will finally wash away the lingering embers from that abysmal OVA done by ADV, Fuji TV, and SME.

I enjoyed Kenshin back in the day for what it was, and I'm looking forward to checking out the new stuff.
eevaleena

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
HUH? WHAT? REALLY? Shocked I honestly don't care if it's a retelling or continuation or something. It's Rurouni Kenshin, dude! I'm all excited now!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin: Brotherhood!
battousai47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
MY NOSE IS BLEEDING!! O_O
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
Rorouni Kenshin Kai Ultimate: Brotherhood Voyage the manga: The Anime.

Season 2.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
Why? Granted, Rurouni Kenshin is one of the best shounen manga ever, but it's done. It has been for well over a decade. It was concluded, and it was concluded in a way that actually concluded it. As far as the story goes, doing more now is completely unnecessary. And his current manga is now on hiatus? I haven't read any of it, but if I had, I'd be irritated that he was stopping working on it for a while to go and work on an already completed series.
battousai47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Why? Granted, Rurouni Kenshin is one of the best shounen manga ever, but it's done. It has been for well over a decade. It was concluded, and it was concluded in a way that actually concluded it. As far as the story goes, doing more now is completely unnecessary. And his current manga is now on hiatus? I haven't read any of it, but if I had, I'd be irritated that he was stopping working on it for a while to go and work on an already completed series.

Good point, the story was concluded but there's still room for elaboration on characters like Yahiko or Kenji. Maybe even just some sort of Hiko Seijuro Gaiden or something.

Hey, anything to put Kenshin back into the spotlight. I'm just praying for a next gen Kenshin game, then I can die in peace Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
This just had to happen after i decided that i want to buy the VizBigs.

That's ok though since more Kenshin is always good news...even if the new anime OVA sounds less than promising and has me looking more forward to the live-action.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Shocked Reboot or sequel?!
eevaleena

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
battousai47 wrote:

Good point, the story was concluded but there's still room for elaboration on characters like Yahiko or Kenji. Maybe even just some sort of Hiko Seijuro Gaiden or something.

Ahhh... I remember something like that. I think it's a small note by Watsuki-sensei himself long ago. That he intend on making Kenji & Yahiko/Tsubame son fight for who's worthy to weild sakabatou after Yahiko. Well, that if I remember correctly, since it was from long time ago Wink But, like I've said. Anything is fine!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
battousai47 wrote:

Hey, anything to put Kenshin back into the spotlight. I'm just praying for a next gen Kenshin game, then I can die in peace Very Happy

Not really, none of that was any necessary. That would just add up to canonical fanfiction at best. The best I hope for is a version of the Jinchu arc done right.
battousai47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
battousai47 wrote:

Not really, none of that was any necessary. That would just add up to canonical fanfiction at best. The best I hope for is a version of the Jinchu arc done right.

Was the Jinchu Arc wrong? You do realise we're talking about the manga...

Another idea is a look back at Kenshin's time during the war. We never got to really seem him as Hitokiri Battousai, but then again I can see where people would argue against that idea Rolling Eyes
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
I've been wanting this for a long time now! I love the original series but the animation feel stiff and dated and would highly benefit from a upgrade if done right especially not ending on such a downer that the last season did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
opn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
whats up with japan having old mangas with perfect endings continue? first shaman king now kenshin. oh well maybe im just judging too quickly but since i love kenshin (still wish for a anime version of the jinchuu arc) i'll probably read this. i guess spoiler[it could show kenshins and kaorus son and what the other characters have been doing since the last arc.]
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Now that I remember, this Rurouni Kenshin will probably be aimed at adults considering that when Buso Renkin ended, Watsuki said this was his last shonen and he will write seinen series. In various volumes, Watsuki mentioned he had to modify the Rurouni Kenshin manga a bit as the plot was getting darker and it was aimed at a young audience. This resulted spoiler[in the most controversial plot twists from the comic where Kaoru was supposed to die, but was later revealed to be alive in order to have a happy ending.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3