• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Files 3rd-Party Claim in Funimation's Lawsuit

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
The only monopoly I see here is the Dragon Ball monopoly.

Things are getting worse for anime news in 2012. First Bandai Entertainment goes under (Basically), then Media Blasters announces layoffs, FUNimation later sues ADV/Sentai, it's found Media Blasters has apparently not been a company since April 2011, and now we have this. How lovely...

This case is one I doubt ADV/Sentai is going to win.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
And this is how the American anime industry dies.... Crying or Very sad
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
And in unrelated news, the price of the last four episodes of Magical Madoka is going up...

As with most of these types of lawsuits, the lawyers will be the only ones who will win. The fans are going to get the short end of the stick. DVD/Blu-ray prices will increase and/or less titles will be released in the US.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
And in unrelated news, the price of the last four episodes of Magical Madoka is going up...

As with most of these types of lawsuits, the lawyers will be the only ones who will win. The fans are going to get the short end of the stick. DVD/Blu-ray prices will increase and/or less titles will be released in the US.

Yeah...Aniplex USA is able to do their insane prices because they're supported by their Japanese parent branch. They sell FAR less than what they COULD be selling but they don't care because they're selling just enough with such a high price point that makes it worth it to them. If they really cared about the fans they would charge as little as they possibly could to make it affordable to as many fans as possible without hurting themselves...but no. Sentai isn't much better in rip-off prices...Funimation is getting close to a "monopoly" because they treat their fans properly in terms of price points (and many other reasons but that's the main one that affects us).
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
It does make me wonder what the evidence is. Is it certain titles being withheld for Funimation, pricing of licensed titles or what exactly?

Hopefully this doesn't result in the loser of the case(more than likely will be Section 23/ADV) going bankrupt. Then it practically would be a monopoly, since Media Blasters is barely hanging on & isn't even recognized as a company atm.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Sentai isn't much better in rip-off prices...

Really, what was I thinking when I pre-ordered Hidamari Sketch X SP for a whole 9 bucks? I'm such a fool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
If they really cared about the fans they would charge as little as they possibly could to make it affordable to as many fans as possible without hurting themselves.

They care about their fans alright. The otaku in Japan that absolutely sustain the late-night anime industry. Those fans are far more important in Aniplex's eyes (as they should be) because they are willing to pay a high price to get their limited edition anime stuff.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
You can sue for monopoly? What?

Also, it seems hilarious that a company is suing a company that is suing a company that claims the first company is no longer a company.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling ADV and Sentai know they can't win, so they're attempting a smear campaign to force an endgame. To be honest, I have my doubts FUNimation will be able to win either. My guess is the Federal judge throws the case out or a settlement is forced between the two.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Anti-trust law is bad, ADV's use of it is silly.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
If they really cared about the fans they would charge as little as they possibly could to make it affordable to as many fans as possible without hurting themselves.

They care about their fans alright. The otaku in Japan that absolutely sustain the late-night anime industry. Those fans are far more important in Aniplex's eyes (as they should be) because they are willing to pay a high price to get their limited edition anime stuff.
Indeed, especially when this market is continuing to demand stuff get cheaper. I've met people who think S.A.V.E. is insanely overpriced.

They're forgetting THESE prices, and have absolutely no idea how good they have it now. Madoka in RE costs the same as some random 12 episode anime in 2005.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/p6UYSr0OwoZL3fkwCu/browse/item/81322/4/0/0 (Look at that MSRP for 5 episodes)
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/p6UYSr0OwoZL3fkwCu/browse/item/69830/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/p6UYSr0OwoZL3fkwCu/browse/item/75196/4/0/0 (Again, pay attention to the MSRP, not the big discount)
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/p6UYSr0OwoZL3fkwCu/browse/item/66763/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/p6UYSr0OwoZL3fkwCu/browse/item/56752/4/0/0 (Again, MSRP, it probably was around $100 before discount)

Let's also not forget DBZ was originally $2610 for 276/291 episodes because it was 87 $30 singles...

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zendervai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Funimation's a monopoly. Oh wait, Sentai has been snapping up licenses left and right. It might be moving towards a duopoly, but certainly not a monopoly.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
the only reason Funimation is in danger of becoming a monopoly is because of executive meddling from Japan has toppled a few anime companies in the past decade.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty much assumed that ADV would be taking this route eventually. The last market share figures we got showed that Funimation had nearly ten times the revenue of ADV (prior to its breakup) so it's hardly surprising they would pursue it. It also moves the cases to federal court which is going to make the cases more expensive to fight and will likely drag out things even longer.

Once again, it seems the only real losers will be the anime fans. Less money will be spent on licenses and producing, and more on lawyers. Considering the small size of both companies, a loss for either could be potentially devastating and lead to bankruptcy. It would be a pretty terrible thing to only have one large company doing most of the licensing and dubbing in North America.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of anything to say other then I believe the saying "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." Might apply to the situation at this point.

I really do hope the two companies can settle all of this mess in a civil manner that won't cause either too big of a financial loss. But at this point i'm not holding my breath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12