• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Silver Spoon Is Shogakukan's Fastest With 1-Million 1st Printing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReAnimate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quite a feat, congrats to her ^^

Personally, I found the manga BO-ring, but that's just me, apparantly it's doing really well, over in Japan.
hamsterfactor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
Well deserved! Silver Spoon has only gotten better since it started Very Happy
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
is this any good? i'm assuming by this news it must be but reading the synopsis i wasn't left eager to go read it

impressive news nonetheless, very rare feat
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
The short version of it is: Take a person born and raised in the city and then drop him in the dead middle of Hokkaido farm country in a veterinary and agricultural high school, hilarity ensues.

Arakawa herself is a dairy farmers daughter from Hokkaido, so I have a feeling that this probably relates to her teen years in Hokkaido. I've been reading it since it started and it has been one of my favorite manga recently. Expect plenty of gag comedy found in FMA. Some characters are similar in designs to some found in FMA.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Umm I think the article is a bit off. It's definently been less than a year since it started.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
bacondreamer wrote:
The short version of it is: Take a person born and raised in the city and then drop him in the dead middle of Hokkaido farm country in a veterinary and agricultural high school, hilarity ensues.

Kinda like City Slickers. Laughing
rapjul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Umm I think the article is a bit off. It's definently been less than a year since it started.

It started in April of last year. manga#13246
However, it seems like less because a few weeks there was no chapter. I think Hiromu Arakawa is still on more of a monthly schedule from FMA.
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
rapjul wrote:
Divineking wrote:

It started in April of last year. manga#13246
However, it seems like less because a few weeks there was no chapter. I think Hiromu Arakawa is still on more of a monthly schedule from FMA.

Silver Spoon is a weekly release on Shonen Sunday. Vol. 4 was just released I think last week.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
What I want to know is if Viz Media is planning on bringing it state-side. I know that I'm loving it, and it seems to be a success in Japan, so what is Viz waiting for? (I'm assuming Viz because they have the Shonen Sunday brand).

What I'm saying is this: I will buy every single English-language volume they print. Period. Why don't they want my money?
rapjul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
What I want to know is if Viz Media is planning on bringing it state-side. I know that I'm loving it, and it seems to be a success in Japan, so what is Viz waiting for? (I'm assuming Viz because they have the Shonen Sunday brand).

What I'm saying is this: I will buy every single English-language volume they print. Period. Why don't they want my money?

I agree 1000%. I would buy every volume on day one. I think Viz will license it, but most US companies get new series after 2 years to make sure it is popular and will keep going.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
rapjul wrote:

I agree 1000%. I would buy every volume on day one. I think Viz will license it, but most US companies get new series after 2 years to make sure it is popular and will keep going.

Didn't Viz just license Sensei no Bulge? That's only been out a few months. Okay, it's supposed to be part of their digital Shonen Jump Alpha, so maybe it's less of a commitment, but considering how WELL Silver Spoon is doing, I think it will end when Arakawa wants it to. (I'm also under the impression that Shonen Sunday is less high-strung than Shonen Jump; or at least as how they're depicted in Bakuman.)

In any case, I think they need to push it out while Fullmetal Alchemist is still arguably fresh in people's minds. The manga finished in America last year and I believe Adult Swim just finished running FMA:Brotherhood, now in re-runs. If they want to make the most of Silver Spoon, they really shouldn't wait any longer than they already have, or else their marketing connection will feel quaint and old-hat. Will people (other than hardcore fans, naturally) still care about FMA a year or two down the road? Sure, Silver Spoon is good enough to stand on its own, but I would think they would want to strike the iron before it's completely cooled off to get the most attention for the new series.

My fear is they won't bother with it at all because it's about high school life at an agricultural school, not exactly hip, exciting stuff. Remember Moyasimon? We only got two volumes of that from Del Rey before Kodansha took over and they don't seem to be terribly bothered to give us more. Silver Spoon isn't the next InuYasha (read: big money maker), so Viz is probably seeing it as a high-risk property.

Don't get me wrong, I love Silver Spoon and think it's great (WAY better than InuYasha), but it's going to take more than a mere few thousand fans who are already reading scanlations to get it in print in the U.S.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1