• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Chances In Hell

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
Anime hyper that clip, oh how long has that been?

I'm pretty much tired of this whole elitism thing, but to be honest it feels like something that'll always be present in this community wether its from accusation, or just someone acctually being a egotistic prick. To be honest, when we dislike a show, we're more than likely to make jokes about how much it sucks, nonchalantly bash it and call it this or that, and in turn pissoff that fanbase and continue the long and almost forever spinning cycle of overly concentrated nerd rage. I think when one is being egotistcal is he/she thinks their on top of the world just because they like/dislike said show or genre and they won't let anything die.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's a fun bit of trivia: All the vocals for Parappa the Rapper were recorded by English-speaking foreigners who were living in Japan at the time. Interesting!

My mind is blown, never knew. Shocked They did a good job with that one. I wonder if they got the original Parappa for that Playstation Battle Royal game.

It would be a nice idea if a dubbing studio had good ties with an anime companies' English branch to do that type of thing.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
English is, as we all know, the most common language in the world.

A minor quibbling perhaps, but that is not entirely true. English may be the most widely used language on an international level (a result of just how far the British Empire stretched at the height of European colonization), but the majority of those speakers know it as a second, or even tertiary, language (and that is without delving into regional differences and dialects, which could break it up further). As a common native language, both Mandarin and Spanish are more widely spoken.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Another example of a character speaking both English and Japanese fairly well is in the Osaka Three "K" episode of Detective Conan. I was expecting either poor Engrish or terribly accented Japanese, and got neither!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Quote:
English is, as we all know, the most common language in the world.

A minor quibbling perhaps, but that is not entirely true. English may be the most widely used language on an international level (a result of just how far the British Empire stretched at the height of European colonization), but the majority of those speakers know it as a second, or even tertiary, language (and that is without delving into regional differences and dialects, which could break it up further). As a common native language, both Mandarin and Spanish are more widely spoken.
He said "most common", not "most common native". More than just native Anglophones can speak it well(or at least much better than many Japanese).
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
*sigh* There's something truly irritating when someone calls another fan an “elitist”.
Just what makes someone an “elitist” anyway?
Is it someone who would rather watch an anime for depth in story, characterization, or theme than a simple, easy to follow, ‘popcorn’ series/film? Why can’t fans be considered a “general” fan?

Why can’t some fans just accept that some people like all kinds of shows?
Obviously not everyone shouts aloud statements like: “Oh. You think you’re better/superior to me because you understood the metaphorical meaning behind Serial Experiments Lain” or “Oh. You’re worse/inferior to me because you like Sekirei.” Or “You can’t like both shows because you have to be either X or Y.” But when people do say that (I have said similar things in the past) it just seems so unnecessary.

I don’t see the point in judging people for what they do/don’t like. Yes, I like/dislike shows that you may like/dislike. But we are BOTH watching anime/reading manga/ listening to music/ etc. So we must have something in common?! And, if we disagree, why don’t we just explain why we do/don’t like what we like in a rational way?

So simple...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Nice factoid about Parappa the Rapper. Never knew that.

People, if you're the type who buys anime DVDs like nobody's business, and you like video games, please consider buying the Gamecenter CX box set. Well, that's a big request to start with. There are videos out there (I have no clue) out there if you search "Gamecenter CX" and it'll give you an idea of how fun the show is.

I don't quite feel like I want that show to be lumped into "turn ytour brain off" entertainment. I guess I'll go with calling it comforting, like Brain called it in his reply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
staab99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Great column as always Brian! Smile

As for elitism, people get this idea that if I said "this show was terrible or bad, etc." then people think I am attacking them for enjoying it (Which I don't). I might not like particular shows, but that doesn't mean I hate people who enjoy them. It's like in the other thread for the Level E dub cast, we are all complaining on Vic's voice acting. I don't like his voice acting in general, but I won't hate someone for liking him, I just don't feel he's a good voice actor.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as a Brit, when a company says "Worldwide", they usually mean "America". That's all. Just America.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, I think having "high standards" is kind of important

What does this even mean? Are you trying to say that disliking a lot of things is a good thing? I'd much rather have "low standards" if it means I enjoy anime more than others, instead of just being down on the state of the industry like many are.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Quote:

What does this even mean? Are you trying to say that disliking a lot of things is a good thing? I'd much rather have "low standards" if it means I enjoy anime more than others, instead of just being down on the state of the industry like many are.
Try reading the whole thing rather than taking one sentence out of context.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Elitist is basically convincing people you have 'high standards', as if things like 'quality' in a writing sense are definable and measurable, and dismissing things that don't meet your arbitrary standards. i.e. if you won't watch a show because 'I have standards' that's elitist, because someone could turn around and say the same thing about a show you do like, so now both shows two different people like are not worthy of the other's high standards, which just shows you the very idea is stupid and is all subjective.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Quote:

Try reading the whole thing rather than taking one sentence out of context.

I did. Having "High standards" has nothing to do with limited time. It just means you're putting priority on watching shows in genres you prefer. Like I don't have all the time in the world, but its not like I'd start watching Josei or psychological anime if I had more time. I'm just not interested in those genres.. I wouldn't say thats a "Standards" issue.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Also, for the record, the PaRappa anime's Attitude is one of my favorite OPs.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Giant Killing, the three amateurs who voiced the Brazillian trio whenever they spoke Portuguese sounded distractingly bad to my ears. Even their pronunciation was somewhat off, as if they spent so much time in Japan that they barely remembered how to speak their native language. Amusingly, when the trio spoke Japanese in the show, they were voiced by professional seiyuu who sounded completely different than their Brazillian counterparts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6