• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times on TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
ANN is mentionned in the article, woot! I think this is the first time we've been mentionned in NYT.

-t
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
Pretty good article. No major mistakes and portraying anime as it should be portrayed.
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
I wasn't aware that Samurai Champloo was about a "ninja-in-training." Pretty good article, otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah I saw ANN in it and was like...YAY! It was a pretty good and accurate article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
"The dreaded Pokémon" Laughing Laughing Quality. Laughing
I must admit that when I first saw the headline I thought, "oh no not another NYT rant about the perversions of Japanese animation". But I was pleasently surprised. Wink
NYT wrote:
The best Japanese cartoons, on the other hand, are about coming of age, with all the traditional narrative arc and character development that implies. In fact, what's most satisfying about them is just how traditional they are, at a time when American children's cartoons seem trapped in some sort of post-Hanna Barbera hipster echo chamber.
I could not have said it better myself. Spot on. Wink
nailszz6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Excellent article! I agree with the above post, I was completely suprised to find them not bashing japanese perversion. A step in the right direction, now they just needed to move it to the front page. Is this same article in the actual NYT newspaper? or just the online version. Cause if it's in the actual paper I'll go buy a copy.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
It's in print.

-t
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
How about that? NYT giving anime some props. Too many times when a major newspaper has an article about anime, it's usually a bashfest. I know that when I sheepishly opened the file, I expected another negative article filled with mis-information.

This was a pleasant surprise as it was not only positive but it was informative as well. And kudos to ANN for getting some pub in the pages of a media giant.
SK DarkDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
I wasn't aware that Samurai Champloo was about a "ninja-in-training." Pretty good article, otherwise.

LOL That's what I was thinking, too. But yeah, overall it was a pretty good article. ^^
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
ANN is mentionned in the article, woot! I think this is the first time we've been mentionned in NYT.

-t

Very Happy Congrats to ANN!!
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
One of the better reads I had over the weekend.
Toneloak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care if sam ploo is said to be about a ninja in training. Good press for anime is always a good thing. LOL i just remembered some men's mag said something about naruto being some ultra violent kiddy show or something. this is a big step in the right direction from that crappy review.
ashram12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally after years and years of fans telling the rest of the world that anime is not all Pokemon and Legend of the Overfiend, they've found out we were right all along. Sheesh, took long enough!
Personally I've always preferred anime tv series over anime movies. Anime movies have left me wanting more: for instance Ghost in the Shell and Akira were too confusing, Millenium Actress and Vampire Hunter D were light on plot, and personally I found Spirited Away to be too long. With tv series, there's more time to have a complicated story, stronger characterization. So anyway, it's nice to see anime series get the credit it deserves.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to ANN. They even seemed to refer to you as a legitimate news resource instead of just another "fan site".

ashram12 wrote:
Personally I've always preferred anime tv series over anime movies. Anime movies have left me wanting more: for instance Ghost in the Shell and Akira were too confusing, Millenium Actress and Vampire Hunter D were light on plot, and personally I found Spirited Away to be too long. With tv series, there's more time to have a complicated story, stronger characterization. So anyway, it's nice to see anime series get the credit it deserves.

It's true that anime series could use their time to flesh out all the important details that sometimes get overlooked in the movie productions, but my experience is that many anime series simply squander the extra time afforded to them and just seem to wander from one episode to another before suddenly trying to tie up all the lose ends in the last couple episodes. In other words the extra time allotted to a series is often wasted, at least in part, instead of being planned with care to provide a significantly more satisfying experience.

I've seen GitS and Akira, and it's true that it's sometimes hard to keep up with them, but the NGE and Utena series were even more confusing to me. Millennium Actress was groundbreaking for me and Vampire Hunter D is a true classic IMO. Spirited Away is quite possibly my most prized possession among all the anime I have ever seen or ever will see. If Spirited Away was already "too long" in movie form, then how could it have possibly been improved by making into an even longer series?

Most series I watch could probably be improved by cutting out roughly 30% of the middle-content (filler episodes) and doubling the amount of time set aside for resolving conflicts and loose ends during the conclusion episodes. At least, that's the way I see it.
mangod
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good article about anime. They really did a good job, it was even better that they mentioned shows like Naruto and FMA. I don't like the part about Pokemon being nothing but an advertisement that kind of pissed me off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3