• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No listing, one-liners, or blanket generalizations. Put reasons.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Teh Rules wrote:
3. Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, then do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute.

You see the kid talking about laser beams? Even he can give a reason for liking them, when some of you don't even bother to put a simple single sentence as to why you like something. And because of that, I am saddened by your laziness. Show some passion and at least out-intellect him. Is it that difficult?

What's more, some of you are so oblivious to the world outside your own that even when the post above you says:

[EDIT: No listing, one-liners, or blanket generalizations. Put reasons. -TK]

You put a list anyway Confused. I mean, can you not read, or are you really that attention-deficient?

Am I asking for too much in the form of one measly sentence with a little bit of logic or reasoning?

Merry Christmas.

EDIT: Have to keep updating the link, 'cause YouTube is a douche.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:30 pm; edited 11 times in total
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see the "list" threads get more love. People post in them in a drive by fashion and never return. There's no discussion. Its just post padding. Post padding is the devil.

+1

spoiler[(And by the way, my favorite anime of this season is Chu2koi. Why? Cause when Rikka asked if the Dark Flame Master looked up her skirt, she had a follow up question "would you like to?" It was so different than the usual "You saw them! *smack*" response that happens in EVERY BLOODY ANIME EVER.)]
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
I'm with you Tony K..

Do people deliberately disobey or are they just that ignorant? There's the old saying "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". But when users don't see the messages you write and are incapable of following such a simple, straightforward rule as 'put a reason at least one sentence long', I don't think stupidity can adequately explain it.

All the regular Forum-goers know to put reasons, so there's no excuse for us. You should only be tolerant of newbies. I think if a person has ten or more posts, and they make a list without putting reasons, then their entire post should just be deleted. Users with less than ten posts should get their offending post edited to include your message of no listing. Some people will find this harsh but I say tough tits to them, they should have known better. You've given out plenty of warnings after all.

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas yourself.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
Obey? Most people never read the rules to begin with- it's painfully visible on fora where by signing in they agree not to violate basic rules of orthography. You should put a clause about selling users souls to Elder Ones or something like that and have a profit from bliss of human ignorance.

Last edited by EireformContinent on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
I like the Forums where the first time you visit after registering you're forced to read the rules so there's absolutely no excuse not to know them straight off the bat.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I like the Forums where the first time you visit after registering you're forced to read the rules so there's absolutely no excuse not to know them straight off the bat.

What forums are those? In my experience you can always just scroll down and check the "I agree" box.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
I think one of them was a fansub aggregation site, while the other was nothing to do with Anime.

I'm talking about when you're actually redirected to the page where the rules are listed, so there isn't actually a box to tick/check.

It's a neat idea and removes any excuse of "I didn't know". I have no clue if such a thing is possible with the software ANN uses.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Tony K.--

It is funny that you should mention this as I have been thinking about creating a posting in the "Feedback" forum listing all of the major/frequent faux pases. That way, when someone does commit such a faux pas, all one has to do is to link to the post.

What do you think? I think that I could do it relatively quickly, if you like.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
That is a good idea in theory nbahn. But failing to provide reasons for a list is not a faux pas but an actual breech of the rules. Therefore in such cases the post that should be linked to is Teh Rules.

However, a thread for faux pas would be kind of handy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
My personal favourite are those posters who, despite the stickied Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! thread, start up recommendation threads.
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the sentiment, but not the tone. In fact, this whole thread is rubbing me the wrong way. Seems self-righteous.

Anyway, yes, people should follow the rules. I do, and anyone who has been here long enough should as well.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
I agree with the sentiment, but not the tone. In fact, this whole thread is rubbing me the wrong way.

If you've been moderating as long as I have and have gone through the amount of posts I did (not just here, but every other kind of forum I've been to), I guarantee you'd break in time Smile.

I made this thread because I saw that commercial on TV and thought to myself, "wow, that's a brilliant, yet simple commercial. I need to show this to people and get the point across of how important reasoning and logic are."

I don't expect everyone to be super-detailed in how much they can write. But seriously, that's as obvious as I can make it. The degree of difficulty should be non-existent, it makes people more self-aware, and a lot of us are even getting to vent off in here.

And how is this self-righteous? I even wished everyone a Merry Christmas? Very Happy
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Americans are ingrained to follow the rules. That's not the same in other countries/cultures.

I think what concerns me is that of all the forums I've visited, moderated, or ran in my time I've never seen so many threads be locked. Even back in the early days of the WoW forums the mods were never as lock happy.

At the end of the day the rules are meant to make the forum more enjoyable for everyone. The point at which they become restrictive and a hindrance to enjoyment is when they need to be revisited and/or revised imho. To be honest, I'm happy with rules until it becomes like a police state and moderators act militaristically. As long there is some common sense used by moderators, all is well.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
supercreep--
I have to agree with Tony K. -- moderating is a thankless job that will eventually wear you down.* I think that that it is admirable for him to be as polite as he has been with newbies.

*see here for my general thoughts on moderating
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I don't expect everyone to be super-detailed in how much they can write.

Write. One word, and it's about to get worse, not better. With people migrating to toys that barely have a keyboard, "write" will soon consist of nothing but one-liners, under 140 characters, and all interpretation be left to the reader to figure out.

I wish I were being facetious here, but I'm not. The sheer intelligence of people trying to carry an online conversation is being lost, and it's ridiculous.

Don't take my word for it, go take a look at comments on many forums anymore. Most of them are simply one-liner opinions without reasons for the opinion.

People apparently hate writing on the internet, so I feel for you, Tony. When my clients tell me they want drop downs rather than having to type, this planet is over.

It's just a matter of time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3